↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Buying the basics...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
J1990

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tamar Blue
Buying the basics...
I've found myself with a little more time on my hands, finally, so I'm looking to strip out and soundproof the defender, whilst also doing a full refresh of engine/trans/diff oils but my current setup is lacking and so it's a good excuse for some shopping.

Just looking to see if the collective wisdom on here has any suggestions of things I should definitely be either buying or avoiding. I don't expect to be doing anything other than basic maintenance and refitting the inside as more of a dayvan (RTT and rack to come in the future). The chassis is Dinitrol'd and in good condition, rear crossmember had a little surface rust but thankfully all clear when digging deeper so just need to get that treated and painted. I'm not shy of doing hard tasks but my skillset is definitely a work in progress.

I've put two lists below covering what I've currently got and the current shopping list, any advice is always welcome.

Bits already owned:
* Comprehensive socket set and drivers
* 1/2" full torx set
* Creeper trolley
* Rubber grommet and grub screw sets for filling numerous bolt holes from the removed seats
* Soldering kit
* Wire brushes and wire brush set for clearing off surface rust before treatment
* An abundance of break cleaner for stripping off all the old glue from the carpets

Current shopping list:
* Oil Pumps - Ordered 2x https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351224466832 to drain and replenish oils for the diffs and transfer box.
* Ramps - I'm looking for some budget-friendly ramps for getting the truck level, I won't be doing any heavy work under the vehicle so not currently looking to throw too much money down. The struggle I'm having is finding ramps wide enough to accommodate the 265 tyres?
* Oil Pan - That would've been awkward to forget.
* Diff Oil - Advice on here has been to get fully synthetic 75w90 oil, I can't seem to confirm what the capacity of the front/rear diff is to ensure I order enough to drain/refill and then have some for top-ups?
* Various thicknesses of silentcoat - 5mm over arches and gearbox, 2mm over roof, 3mm black almost everywhere else
* Decent rattle can for giving the rear crossmember a clean look now that it's been cleaned down.
Post #925605 14th Oct 2021 11:26am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
The diffs need around 1.6l each and the transfer box (same oil) is 2.4l.

Your Silentcoat spec. sounds (no pun intended) to be a bit overkill. 2mm makes an enormous difference
if combined with a 6mm foam layer and it's difficult to imagine that 5mm will improve on that significantly. There are lots of threads on here about sound proofing so it'd be worth having a browse before committing yourself. Here's a couple of my posts to get you going:

https://www.defender2.net/forum/post711655.html#711655

https://www.defender2.net/forum/post851539.html#851539 Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #925607 14th Oct 2021 11:44am
J1990

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tamar Blue
Thanks LRA for those suggestions - I've actually been through those threads front to back when I was trying to work out which brand I should be using for the soundproofing. The samples sent out by silentcoat were fantastic (free of charge and quite large samples of all of their products - I'd expected to be buying tiny sections so that was a pleasant surprise).

The 5mm on the arches/gearbox tunnel isn't definitive, I'd read it on one of the soundproofing posts on here and felt like for the minimal extra cost and the relatively low extra weight overall that it might be worth doing for the sake of it? If 2mm is more than sufficient then I'm in no hurry to make my life more difficult.

And yes, the silentcoat 6mm isolator is intended to go over all areas.
Post #925610 14th Oct 2021 11:56am
Mossberg

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Aintree Green

Click image to enlarge

I have a Lidl impact wrench. It's not the best but I have used it quite a bit and it has been useful. The best thing is it will break seised M8 and M6 screws that are in awkward places. I Just used it for removing the rear wheel carrier - this was M6 with PZ3 pan head screws. I bought a 1/2" to screw driver bit adapter and it made the job really easy - and this was on its lowest setting - those that didn't unscrew just broke off

Click image to enlarge
Post #925611 14th Oct 2021 11:57am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1