↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Roof rack noise
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Andy S

United Kingdom 
Roof rack noise
I’ve been given a 90 loan car as my car’s in for a paint defect and this has the box, snorkel and a bloody great big roof rack and boy is this rack noisy on the motorway Big Cry Big Cry
It makes a right racket so just be aware if you’re choosing this option.
Really made my 6 hour motorway trip very unpleasant even at 75’ish mph all the way, that and with the M6 being shut too.
My wife suggested calling in at the nearest dealer and asking them to unbolt it and send it back Whistle
Post #923074 27th Sep 2021 6:07pm
County V8

United Kingdom 
Elleow ellow ellow did you say 75 mph sir??
Post #923099 27th Sep 2021 8:20pm
peanutbob

United Kingdom 
I have a full expedition rack plus rai on my 110. Today was a windy old day so at 70 mph heading into the wind yes there was some noise on a 25 mile run down the motorway, so I backed off to 65mph. On a normal sort of day circa 70mph it’s hardly noticeable unless the pano roof is open. I’m quite happy to stay within limits now as my other car has resulted in some recent points courtesy of fixed cameras! I also find the Defender is not really a vehicle to be hurtled down the road …but with the V8 petrol and no rack that might be quite a different scenario!
Post #923107 27th Sep 2021 8:43pm
Needledown

United States 
The roof rack is amazing
And if you have all windows open and the sunroof
Barley any noise
If sunroof closed i don’t notice any extra noise
The defender is rugged like a jeep with less cabin noise
Post #923110 27th Sep 2021 8:48pm
zilch

Australia 
usually only notice any uptick in noise when there are strong cross winds, otherwise it is fine
at motorway speeds. yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #923121 28th Sep 2021 1:06am
Andy S

United Kingdom 
I've just done 500 miles this week on motorways, it's been breezy most of the time. I tend to travel at an average speed sometimes maybe a quicker for a while but the noise this roof rack makes should be taken into consideration if anyone's thinking of adding one and then potentially using high speed use. Definitely get a test drive is my opinion.
I'm just flagging up what I think is a big issue with excessive noise but slow coaches won't be bothered Whistle
Post #923504 29th Sep 2021 7:09pm
Tim in Scotland

If you don’t need to actually use it but bought it for the look or very occasional use then why not fit the removable crossbars that are a) quiet and b) easy to remove and replace when needed. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #923526 29th Sep 2021 8:01pm
haymeister

Japan 
I agree with Andy here.
On my test drive the 110 I was in had the expedition rack and lunchbox. Above 110kmh/70mph indicated it starts to get noisy. Then it gets really noisy above 130 kmh/80mph.
I suspect the lunchbox causes more of a racket but can't say for sure, did seem to be more on the nearside.
Just something to consider as Tim depending on your usage. I'll be going the way of the cross bars when (?!) I get mine delivered.
Post #923561 30th Sep 2021 1:19am
SN

Just turn the stereo up
It does get noisy but not intolerably so IMHO
Doesn't stop the interior from being a great place to be! Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)
Post #923646 30th Sep 2021 9:23am
Ajay(UK)

England 
I agree with Steve, the volume button is very useful but to be honest if I want whisper quiet luxury driving I use my Range Rover but when given the choice I always pick up my wife's keys to her Defender. Laughing It's such a great car to drive all round and not one that I feel needs to be driven at high speed, even though its more than capable when needed. Thumbs Up

Granted there is more wind noise at 70mph+ with the rack and other accessories fitted but it really isn't that intrusive and personally I think the Defender looks a better car with the accessories than without Whistle

Click image to enlarge

Andy. 22MY Defender 110 X Dynamic HSE D250, Gondwana Stone with too many options!
Gone: 2015 L405 SDV8 Autobiography, Indus Silver with Black Pack.
Gone: 2014 Discovery 4 HSE Luxury Firenze Red
Post #923651 30th Sep 2021 9:51am
kenlotmars

Northern Ireland 
My wife has a 90 with the expedition rack. It feels like an air brake holding the car back.

Would it make much of a difference to mpg if it were removed?
Post #924463 4th Oct 2021 6:56pm
4B4B

United Kingdom 
When I was test driving several new defenders, one had the expedition rack on it. Going from one vehicle to the next, the noise was definitely noticeable, as was the increased drag that could be felt after ~50mph.

The extra drag and noise would certainly cause a dip in mpg, as that energy has to come from somewhere. How much?, who knows?... Defender 90 HSE 250D 2022MY - Gave up after two failed orders
Post #924552 5th Oct 2021 11:10am
SN

I'm struggling to understand how anyone can sense any increased drag... Neutral Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)
Post #924576 5th Oct 2021 1:12pm
4B4B

United Kingdom 
Well going from driving two Defenders in the same afternoon, one with and one without the expedition roof rack, there was an appreciable increase in noise, and it felt like like a definite increase in resistance.

But who am I know?… maybe it was just the increase in wind noise, making me completely imagine the resistance.

Bottom line, (for me) it’s noisy, and not something I would leave on the roof unless it was carrying out a task. Defender 90 HSE 250D 2022MY - Gave up after two failed orders
Post #924581 5th Oct 2021 1:34pm
SN

Well I suppose thats about a direct comparison as you can get Thumbs Up Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)
Post #924582 5th Oct 2021 1:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>