↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Energy Companies Going Bust
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
RFT wrote:
I’m sorry I’ve little sympathy for those bleating about their energy company going bust

From what I'm reading in the press, it's a long list of companies that may not see the other side of this particular market bump...

And with regard to Bulb:

"The UK's sixth biggest energy company, Bulb, is seeking new funding, according to reports.

The Financial Times report Bulb, which currently has 1.7 million customers across the UK, are looking for a cash injection from investors or merging with another company.

Bulb was founded in 2013 and prided itself as a renewable energy supplier, but saw £63 million in losses in the year up to March 31 2020."
https://www.richmondandtwickenhamtimes.co....lier-goes/

And food for thought on those companies saying they deal in renewable energy only...

"When Bulb claims to supply renewable electricity ‘wherever possible’, it means just 4% of the time"

https://www.goodenergy.co.uk/blog/2021/06/...-the-time/
Post #922441 23rd Sep 2021 9:32am
camelman

United Kingdom 
'Green washing' is the way most suppliers are allowed to advertise 'fully renewable' including some of the big six.
For every Mwh of green electricity produced, the generator is allowed to sell a 'REGO' certificate (Renewable Energy Green Obligation).
The companies buy as many of these certificates as they require to match their demand and then sell the electricity as green.
Obviously large companies need more of the certificates .

Part of the current issue is the price cap meaning companies can't actually charge what is costing them to supply the power.
Coupled with the fact that the smaller companies can't hedge as extensively as the larger guys, they are forced to buy the gas at the current inflated rate,

Going into winter in the northern hemisphere is also going to exacerbate the issue.

The flip side of this is many customers paying monthly are actually in credit at this time of year. When they fold, owing money to these customers, this liability is passed on to the 'Supplier of Last Resort' who takes on all supplies from the failed company. There is therefore potential resistance from the remaining suppliers to take on the failed ones. 
Post #922446 23rd Sep 2021 10:31am
SN

The green angle is energy is all b*ll*cks any way - there is only one National Grid and one Gas Distribution network - most everyone's property is connected these single networks so they all get the same non-green mix

Suppliers don't supply anything other than bills - they should be called Invoicers quite frankly

And most of these companies can only make money by operating on a shoestring (i.e. overloaded underpaid staff) - the smart company is Octopus which is the owner of Kraken - their own (getting-ubiquitous) billing software - they're making money off the back of many other 'Invoicers' by charging licensing fees to them... Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)
Post #922449 23rd Sep 2021 10:48am
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/e...renewables

> 40% of UK energy is from renewables. Maybe I'll go back to coal based on it being Thumbs Up
Post #922452 23rd Sep 2021 11:35am
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
Don't mix up DNOs and suppliers.
Post #922453 23rd Sep 2021 11:38am
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
pjm-84 wrote:
https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/energy-trends-section-6-renewables

> 40% of UK energy is from renewables. Maybe I'll go back to coal based on it being Thumbs Up

https://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

Always found this site interesting, it's a "live" dashboard of UK consumption and supply sources
Post #922454 23rd Sep 2021 12:07pm
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
Thumbs Up Really cool.
Post #922455 23rd Sep 2021 12:18pm
Tim in Scotland

pjm-84 wrote:
Not me and I'm with Bulb. Why? As it renewable energy. Just like I fill up with Shell, pay more and they offset my fuel.

Its not all about costs Thumbs Up

Not so, I’m with Bulb too and was startled to hear on R4’s You and Yours or the Today program on Monday that they are another of the companies not expected to survive to the year end, renewables supplier or not. They are also a gas supplier which was reckoned was going be their undoing with the price of gas going up so rapidly. How “green” is gas? It’s a fossil fuel like coal or oil and they have the added problem that we haven’t been generating as much electricity from wind turbines this year so far as the wind hasn’t been blowing enough……….. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #922480 23rd Sep 2021 3:41pm
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
We were with PFP Energy which went bust a couple of weeks ago and our account was handed to British Gas by Ofgem. The new British Gas account is about 60% more Shocked Our old tariff has NOT been taken up by British Gas. I tried to move it to another company, but Ofgem has locked it out - preventing it from being moved until British Gas takes it over on Sept 30. Now left.
Post #922496 23rd Sep 2021 6:17pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
So, do you pay at your old rate or new rate until the 30th? 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #922505 23rd Sep 2021 7:07pm
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
Old rate until 30th, and we're in credit by about £200. Now left.
Post #922509 23rd Sep 2021 7:18pm
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
No one will be surprised to hear that Avro Energy gave their two directors £2.25 million despite £28 MILLION losses. Now left.
Post #922633 24th Sep 2021 3:11pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Bluest, Keep an eye on what goes out of your bank account, with the energy company. Because they may say that you missed payments etc. RAC window screens tried that trick, when they went under. They got well 2hitty with me on the phone, so i returned the favour, even had a strong word with the branch manager at the local branch, ( the one that i had i had used weeks before, and also warned him to tell his worker to back off with my mum at the time too, before i pulled his workers head off, for having a go at her) Thumbs Up They gave me a daft piece of paper, for a receipt before and with incorrect car details at the time too. ( before i had a strong word with the manager) funny thing was i had got shot of the car a week later before they went under Laughing Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #922816 26th Sep 2021 2:45am
camelman

United Kingdom 
Avro customers now on their way to Octopus Energy... 
Post #923165 28th Sep 2021 10:18am
Tim in Scotland

Speculation this morning on R4’s Today program that Octopus could be about to take over Bulb too……. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #923212 28th Sep 2021 3:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>