Home > Tdi > Clutch problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
SimpleSimon

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Rioja Red
Clutch problem
Hi all,
Please excuse a question that's probably been asked before...

Got in the Defender this morning to go and meet someone the other side of the county. When I went to pull off the drive the clutch pedal didn't come all the way up. I'd been sat with my foot on the clutch for a bit, so thought nothing of it and flicked it back with my toes...

Happened again when going for second, so I pulled over and popped her into neutral to check it wasn't just something daft like the spring on the pedal itself or something jamming it. It wasn't that. I then had quite the struggle then to select any gears at all, but eventually got 1st and limped her the quarter mile home.

Any ideas? I am not a mechanic so please use small words!

A quick search was suggesting leaking from the master and/or slave cylinder, which I have checked and neither appears to be the culprit. Both are clean and dry.

Now that I think on it, I did feel as if the gearbox was getting "worse" over the last few days. I've only had it 6 days, but the last two in particular it seemed harder to select a couple of gears. I put it down to me being less careful and/or quirky synchro not liking certain conditions, but could that be related to a slow decline in clutch "performance"?

My plan, please tell me if its no good, is to top up the master cylinder and see if its drivable for a bit. Then get it to the garage. I had a little look at the Haynes manual, but as the first line about the clutch said "remove the gearbox or engine" I think I'll give that a miss!

Any help much appreciated.

UPDATE: I put a splash of fluid in and the pedal is now returning as normal. I haven't driven it yet... 1998 300tdi 90 Hard Top. Daily driver, dog bus, shooting wagon and ongoing project!
Post #921895 18th Sep 2021 9:07am
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
Hopefully it's just a low fluid level and not the pushrod starting to go through the clutch fork Thumbs Up
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #921897 18th Sep 2021 9:39am
SimpleSimon

Hopefully...

Not a lot of fluid went in, but I'm guessing there isn't all that much in the system anyway? 1998 300tdi 90 Hard Top. Daily driver, dog bus, shooting wagon and ongoing project!
Post #921900 18th Sep 2021 9:52am
I Like Old Skool

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi ST Coniston Green
Master cylinder leaking usually results in a damp patch on the floor mats as the fluid runs down the pedal arm and drips onto the floor.
Leaky slave cylinder will not show at the outside of the cylinder but will leak into the bellhousing and drain out via the drain hole at the bottom of the bell housing. It could be really slow so might only look damp rather than a drip here. Check the wading plug isn't fitted in the drain hole, if it is your bell housing will just be filling up with any fluid that leaks from the slave cylinder or the engine/gearbox oils!
Post #922022 19th Sep 2021 8:51pm
SimpleSimon

Thank you, there is indeed fluid coming from the drain hole in the bell housing. Evidently I didn't understand the concept of the slave cylinder leaking, I was looking for fluid on the outside Embarassed
She's going in to the garage next week anyway for a service and check up, so I've asked them to replace the master (just in case) and slave, and the hose. In the meantime I'll just keep topping it up.

I found an opened bottle of fluid behind the drivers seat when I was giving it a good tidy/clean (after the problem arose) so I suspect the last owner was aware of the problem... 1998 300tdi 90 Hard Top. Daily driver, dog bus, shooting wagon and ongoing project!
Post #922023 19th Sep 2021 9:01pm
jeffersj

United Kingdom 1996 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Bronze Green
Have a think about the LoF replacement master cylinder (from LoF clutches) whilst your at it, they get rave reviews on here. Jeff
Ex 1968 Series 2A
Ex 90 TD5
Ex D3
Ex D4
Post #922045 20th Sep 2021 7:45am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1