↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Turns over but not firing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Greyman110

United Kingdom 
Thanks Blackwolf…not knowing anything about engines, could it be that its taking longer to start because it’s somehow out of sync and something needs a re-learn?

That being said, it always starts fine from cold Confused
Post #922121 20th Sep 2021 6:57pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Doubtful. It is strange behaviour, and the fact that it is worse when hot is unusual (usually hot engines start better than cold). It does make me wonder whether it is a heat-related electronic malfunction, but this could be very difficult to find scientifically.

If it was crankshaft position sensor related I think it likely that the engine would stall (a faulty CPS is one thing which will usually kill a modern engine since the ECU can't determine when to fire the injectors), so the camshaft sensor would have seemed the more likely. Fuel pressure bleed-off from the common rail could do it, since it would take more cranking to get the pressure up, but I can't see how this would be worse hot than cold.

I would actually be tempted to try changing the infamous Achilles's Heel of the fuel system the VCV, since it is famous for causing all manner of strange faults without triggering any DTCs, and it could well be affected by temperature. Generally it is the first thing I change if there inexplicable engine malfunctions with no fault codes. It could possibly be sticking when hot.
Post #922141 20th Sep 2021 9:03pm
Greyman110

United Kingdom 
Thanks for the comprehensive answer.

I changed the VCV this year when I was hoping that it wasn’t my head gasket so I don’t think it’s that unless its a dodgy unit.

I’m taking out back to the garage next week so I’ll see what they can find.
Post #922144 20th Sep 2021 9:51pm
Greyman110

United Kingdom 
So not wanting to be beaten, I went back to the car today.

I pulled relays, jiggled them around and did a test drive.

Cold it started first time on the second crank at 168rpm which was probably about 1 second.

The drive was flawless, no flat spots and felt spot on.

Got home and turned off. Waited about 30 seconds and tried to start it and it just turned over with no hint of firing up. Tried this several times letting it turn over for between 5-10 seconds each time.

Then I reset the car by locking it and waiting to the alarm light on the dash to stop flashing before unlocking and trying to stat again. Once again nothing happened so I feel I’ve eliminated the possibility that its the alarm.

Both times I tried starting from just the cranking battery and linking my batteries together.

So overall really annoying Laughing

Not really feeling that I should be replacing things as this only started after having the head gasket replaced so what could have happened that could cause this?

I spent half the day googling this and it seems like lots of people have this issue but it can be caused by different things so not one clear answer. Banging Head
Post #922682 24th Sep 2021 7:50pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Check battery clamps are tight, and the main battery ground is clean and torqued correctly.

Worth checking the IPAC (instrument cluster) rear electrical connector is secure also.

If you run the UG permanently, disconnect it and leave it disconnected for some time and see if the issue goes away.

Finally as Blackwolf mentioned, the VCV can be culprit to causing this.
The only times I’ve had cutting out or stalling issues have been battery clamp, main ground to transfer box or VCV failing.
The clutch switch going under can cause issues but that’s usually power surges during gear changes.

Fuel pressure and injector pressure issues could be fuel pump related, again where there VCV is located.

Where did you get the VCV from? Did this issue start after you changed it or a few months later or did you have these issues before? Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #922686 24th Sep 2021 8:50pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
If starts no problem from cold, but not when hot, could be something with the heaters? Perhaps somehow it need the heaters to glow to ignite the fuel? Have you tried to bump start it when hot, see if the engine is turning over faster it would fire up?
Did you replace head gasket like with like for thickness? 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #922691 24th Sep 2021 9:28pm
Greyman110

United Kingdom 
Thanks for the new points to look at.

I’ll check the battery and ground tomorrow just to be on the safe side.

I’ll check the IPAC but at the moment I dont know where it is so I’ll have to look at that.

The UG wasn’t plugged in when I first noticed this issue.

Actually when I first picked it up after the head gasket, it would never start on the first turn, always the second.

Then I took it back and they replaced the diesel return pipe and then it started on the first turn when cold.

I picked the VCV up on eBay and fitted it in Jan. This issue started last month.
Post #922693 24th Sep 2021 9:34pm
Greyman110

United Kingdom 
Head gasket was replaced by an established LR independent so I would hope they used the correct parts.
Post #922695 24th Sep 2021 10:29pm
Greyman110

United Kingdom 
Before I go and buy a fuel priming kit…could it be that the system hasn’t been primed properly and after warning up there are bubbles in it?

If that was a potential, would I be able to feel that when driving?
Post #922715 25th Sep 2021 8:39am
Greyman110

United Kingdom 
While looking around the engine I noticed that the where the injectors are had pools of something I didn’t recognise around them.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Could this be the issue?
Post #922740 25th Sep 2021 11:59am
Greyman110

United Kingdom 
Interestingly I soaked it up and it cleared 5 of the 7 not tested nanocom faults
Post #922743 25th Sep 2021 12:24pm
dorsetsmith

metal fuel pipes nuts loss or plastic spill fuel line fitting o ring split Question
Post #922748 25th Sep 2021 1:10pm
Greyman110

United Kingdom 
I've tested the car a couple of times now and theres no sign of anything leaking.

I'm also able to strat the car when its warm although I have to turn it over for about 5 - 10 seconds.

So now I'm thinking could the injector housings be full of somethihng thats stopping the start?
Post #922975 27th Sep 2021 10:08am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12