↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Take the money and run?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 7 1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

Take the money and run?
Hard question but my car goes back to the work shop - 6th time since June 2020 - for corrective work on rattles and the first failed part to be fixed (rear screen washer pipe has came adrift or worn through in the A Pillar) and the dealer’s used car buyer wants to value it with view to them reselling it at vast profit in the current market and hopefully sell me a replacement ND.
It’s been on-line valued by WBAC without in an person inspection and online unseen they are offering more than I paid in June 2020 ( that value doesn’t include any of the optional extras though).
As much as I love the ND even in D240 form, it simply runs circles around my 1996 TDi300 90 in every way except quality of build. So if I am made a good offer by the dealership do I a) take the money and run without replacing with a new ND D250
And spend the money on a full restoration of my 90 and use the balance to buy an EV or b) take the offer to use the value to replace the 110 with new unregistered car from the dealer group stock to as close to the spec I would order from the factory or c) suck my teeth and just place a factory order for a car with the options I could add to the present one and place an order for 2023MY.
I was interested in a 110XS Butt the deal breakers for me on those is body coloured wheelarches and lower body trim and the dire choice of colours on XS. Salesman says they could repaint the body coloured bits Grey like my present car BUT more importantly he says that he couldn’t guarantee that there won’t be spec and colour changes in the next model year………….
For sure I don’t want to buy one of their overpriced low miles used/ pre-reg cars that they have in stock, but I’m also getting fed up with loosing the car for a few days at a time to fix faults it should never have left the factory with. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #920510 8th Sep 2021 8:48am
kenzle8a

Why not one of the older but easier to maintain Range Rovers? They cost so little now you could have three or four of them for the cost of a new Def. My chums got a 2010 TDV8 that they love as it balances next to his 86’ 110 v8. It cost him all of 8k to buy and in the years has probably cost about 2k to run including a new set of 22 tyres.
Post #920527 8th Sep 2021 10:41am
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
If you've lost confidence in the vehicle, get rid. You'll feel much better.
Then it's a case of waiting for the Grenadier, so buy a Jimny for fun while waiting.
Post #920528 8th Sep 2021 10:45am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I guess it's only a decision that you can make, Tim, but here's a few thoughts for you:

If all other things were equal and you could easily upgrade to a later model for little cost then that would seem to be a good thing.

Would you have done all of the trips that you've made over the last year in your 90 if that was your only Land Rover and would you have enjoyed them in the same way? I get the impression from reading your posts that you've travelled some fair distances to some of the events?

Would you be content with a shopping trolley type car? I ask as I've gone down this route a few times over the years but always returned to a LR as my daily driver through boredom!

Do you need the money that you'd realise from cashing in? I'm obviously not expecting an answer to that but part of me is always of the mind that you can't take it with you.

I hope that helps in some way. I'll confess though, that's easy to rationalise for somebody else whilst I'm repeatedly guilty of irrational behaviour when it comes to buying and selling my own cars Laughing Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #920530 8th Sep 2021 11:04am
Tim in Scotland

I haven’t lost confidence in it just fed up with a 15 month old car needing so many visits to the workshop. When it’s working as it should it’s brilliant, but it’s being spoiled by stupid things.

All will depend on what I’m offered when I collect the car after they’ve ripped it bits once again next week! I might even have to wash it and vacuum out the interior before it goes in so it at least looks like it’s been looked after! It goes to the detailers who did the ceramic and PPF once a month for a £20 wash down whether it needs it or not - usually it needs it but it had its last monthly wash only 2 weeks ago……… did a very dusty off-road drive on Sunday last and today it’s done a 200 mile round trip out to a Marina south of Oban and it;s front grille and windscreen are covered in dead flies and bugs. Forecast for rain tomorrow so that will get a lot of dirty stuff off it! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #920565 8th Sep 2021 6:58pm
dorsetsmith

Time for lemon law LR supply you with replacement car and that one sent to the scrap hep
Post #920569 8th Sep 2021 7:50pm
shropshiredefender

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Tim in Scotland wrote:
I haven’t lost confidence in it just fed up with a 15 month old car needing so many visits to the workshop. When it’s working as it should it’s brilliant, but it’s being spoiled by stupid things.

The real question, I think, is - has the build quality improved since the early vehicles? Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.
Post #920606 8th Sep 2021 9:31pm
J77

Scotland 
I think they have, mine has the odd creak but nothing major, the 20MY 110 i test drove last August was plagued with faults.

Must admit though I’m tempted, WBAC now offering £51,585 for a vehicle that was £48,565 inc options. It’s went up £4.5k in a week. I would just end up ordering a 90HT. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #920626 8th Sep 2021 11:05pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I think occasionally you just get a bad vehicle.

It certainly happened to me with my 2018 Jeep Wrangler 2.2 Rubicon. I bought it as a demonstrator with just over 2000 miles on it. I had no end of issues with repeated visits to two different Jeep dealers to try and get it sorted. But frankly speaking, both were hopeless and couldn't seem to fix it. It spent over 10 weeks in dealerships during my ownership and was recovered twice on a car transporter within the space of two weeks at one point. This, coupled with a "couldn't care less" attitude from Jeep UK, made me decide to get rid.

Such a shame as it was my ideal vehicle and I bought it when I retired with the intention of it being a keeper. But the constant worry about what was going to go wrong next and the fact that the warranty was due to expire this month meant it had to go.

Having lost confidence in it and experiencing the appalling service from the Jeep network, it put me off buying another one.

I got an amazing trade in price from Mitsubishi online, meaning I only lost £2k over the 2 1/2 years I owned it. WBAC was offering £6.5k less than Mitsubishi at the time I made the decision. Mitsubishi were also off loading their own low mileage demo fleet as they are pulling out of new car sales in the UK. I was able to pick up a 6 month old Outlander PHEV Dynamic for £26k, which had a list price of £39k new. Doing a deal was a no brainer.

Sure the Outlander is no off roader, but I mainly need the 4wd for winter time. Most of our journeys now are less than 25 miles, so I am enjoying running around on electricity only at less than £1 for a full charge to get circa 25 to 28 mile range. The fuel tank holds 45 litres and so far, with 1000 miles covered, I still have 3/4 of a tank Very Happy Road tax is £145 p.a. vs the Wrangler's higher rate and a 3 year service pack cost me £575.

As/when/if classic Series LR prices start to fall, I will look around for one as a project because LR is in my blood and I miss having a proper 4x4 to play with.
Post #920646 9th Sep 2021 8:32am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Re: Take the money and run?
Tim in Scotland wrote:
... (The ND) runs circles around my 1996 TDi300 90 in every way except quality of build. ...

Bearing in mind the legendary build quality of the classic Defender, especially in its twilight years, that is an appalling indictment of Landrover and the ND. Shocked

Whilst I hope that build quality has now improved, there is really no excuse.
Post #920647 9th Sep 2021 8:32am
Tim in Scotland

Yesterday I did a 200 mile round trip home to Croabh Haven Marina on the west coast just south of Oban to take a friend to collect his car he had left there when he sailed his boat back from there to the Clyde. This guy is used to owning some very nice company cars as the MD of an international Loss Adjusting company and he loved the trip in the Defender. The car behaved impeccably on the run via Inveraray and Lochgilphead so mostly fast A roads but contaminated with motorhomes and artic trucks hauling livestock trailers to market and loads and loads of roadworks. Aircon blasting out at setting 18 sunroof also open while trundling along at 55 in lines of traffic.
Fuel consumption is amazing as this is a point and squirt bit of road to overtake you have to grasp the opportunities and go flat out for it and very uphill and down dale.
This is the D240 4 cylinder diesel, not a 6 pot diesel. Wish I had waited to top up with diesel until Arrochar / Inveraray or Lochgilphead as it was 4p a litre cheaper up there than in Ballach or Helensburgh and more like what I pay in Stirling! BTW I never use the ECO setting these days as it doesn’t seem to make any difference at all to fuel consumption, but it does blunt the performance.

Going

Click image to enlarge

Returning via the west side of Loch Lomond - was surprised how much traffic there was after passing the road works for the Rest and Be Thankfull and on the lochside which was crawling at no more than 50 on a really good A road

Click image to enlarge

Even in 2.0l engine form this is a great road tripping car aside from being extremely capable when you venture off the tar. And why I like it more than either of the 2 L322 RR’s or any of the 3 RRS’s I’ve owned. It is fantastically comfortable on a longer trip and the little 2ltr just settles into the run and purrs along and while you would think it might struggle uphill withb2.2t to haul along it doesn’t even hunt for gears going up the long climb of the Rest it stayed in 8th gear at 55 as far as the traffic lights on the road works a couple of miles up the climb. It’s why it will be really difficult to move on from, it just does everything so well apart from all the rattles when the road surface gets a bit broken up, you don’t feel that but all rattles sure do make the rough surfaces known as they get woken up! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 9th Sep 2021 9:50am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #920651 9th Sep 2021 9:00am
SN

I think you just answered your own question with that last post Thumbs Up

After nine days I'm missing mine like mad at the moment - the black ugly duckling (incidentally also with a D240 engine) is turning me off so much I went out in my wife's dependable Vauxhall Mokka instead! Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)
Post #920660 9th Sep 2021 9:41am
J77

Scotland 
Despite their flaws the reason I don’t move brands is Land Rovers just tick all the boxes for me. My 90 is probably the best out of the 11 I’ve owned, it was my D3, so it’s taken a while to beat it.

As SN says, I think you’ve found your answer. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #920675 9th Sep 2021 11:06am
Gareth

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
Tim, I agree. You have a great car. The only thing you are missing is 2 cylinders! Mine has been remarkably good. No issues that have got me hightailing to the dealer, other than a small recall which doesn’t count as a bad thing in my book.

If I were in your shoes, id be worried about the delivery time on a new one, and possible quality or equipment issues due to the Censored up world parts supply. So, I would consider taking advantage of the current high value of second hand trade in. I would then slum it for a while (how long- nobody knows) until things recover enough to get a new one.

Is a few grand made on your car now worth all this hassle? Other side of my thoughts would be to enjoy it and wait until things get better, get your monies worth out of it, and then buy a new one further down the line.

Mine is now returning decent mpg, I think it was very tight from new. Did a trip to Leeds this week and got 37 mpg without trying. D300. 2021 Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE D300 MHEV
1966 S2a 109 aka Betsy
1968 S2a 88 aka Bob
2014 Jaaaag F Type 3.0 Supercharged.
Post #920684 9th Sep 2021 12:13pm
Tim in Scotland

Gareth I agree about maybe hanging on until supply issues cease, the only option I would like on mine is the rear locking diff but to date I haven’t really missed out by not having it and looking at what the dealer group I buy from has in stock I don’t see anything on their lists with that option. If I went to a 90 then it would have to have the air suspension and the rear diff and again I haven’t seen any new dealer stock with those options. I still have 15 months warranty left so hopefully everything will be resolved by then.
Having 2 less cylinders , 9bhp less and 100Nm of torque less hasn’t actually made the car less drivable - nice to have but the D240 copes really well and is still very quiet unless you really start to welly it.

I usually keep cars 3-years (21 in the case of my 90!) before changing but to change for similar (ie XS) spec doesn’t appeal and going for an X Dynamic SE with better colour choice and the options I want is going to be much more than the dealership will give me as a valuation I suspect (and they don’t have any X Dynamic 110’s or 90’s on site to look at).
The salesman I deal with was pretty honest about ordering for a 2023 model saying that they have no idea what equipment or colour changes let alone prices this far in advance. Looks like I’ll just keep going and put up with unsecured/ recurring rattles and all too frequent visits to the work shop because I really do like this car. I also own this car so changing early won’t incur any penalties other than (what might be negative) depreciation if I sell early.
Regarding my mpg figures - bear in mind I’m running on the more aggressive AT’s, Duratracs, rather than the All season Pirelli’s the car came on. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #920690 9th Sep 2021 12:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 7 1234567>