↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Take the money and run?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 7 <1234567
Print this entire topic · 
J77

Scotland 
My problem is what to buy if I sold. I’ve been looking at EVs, in particular the Skoda Enyaq, seems a decent car for the money, though I’m not sure I’m ready for the electric highway. 23.5MY 90 D250 X-Dynamic SE, Pangea Green
Gone - 23MY 110 D250 XS Edition, Hakuba Silver
Gone - 21MY 90 D200 S, Tasman Blue, Fuji White roof.
Post #925298 11th Oct 2021 11:59am
Tim in Scotland

Just been messaged by WBAC to update my valuation - down £700 in the week

Off Topic
J77 - find an EV dealership who will lend you a car for a long weekend, I really liked the EV experience with the Mini Countryman PHEV in full on electric mode that after mine was delivered I felt I should just have jumped straight to a full EV back 2018. My next door neighbours and I went to the launch of the Kia EV6 a couple of weeks back and very impressed except we both felt it was too big for our needs, they were driving an Evoque and a very old Polo. 10 days ago they went to test drive the Kia’s sister car the Ioniq5 and really liked it more for being shorter. They placed an order for the middle model in the range with next February or March estimated delivery……… The very next day, 29th Sept - Arnie Clark Hyundai phoned them and offered them a cancelled order top spec car with all sorts of options for the same price as they were going to pay for the lower spec car and delivery on 30th September …….. they’ve been delighted with it so far. Charging is easy even on the 3 pin plug charger but we have enough fast and rapid chargers locally they only need to go 4 miles to the next village to top up and she has free charging on a 22kW charger at work so they’ve only used the “granny” charger once.
If you are concerned about charging it away from home download the Zap Map or Plug Share apps and also look at the Charge Place Scotland website. We might not like Nicola or Paddy Harvey but they have given us almost free charging (£10 a year unlimited charging on CPS chargers) and many cars now come with 12 months free charging. I placed an order for a Mini E 10 days ago, comes with a years free BP Pulse charger use……… wow you think but when I checked their website the nearest BP Pulse charger to me is 35 mikes away in Dunblane………. Pretty well useless. I chose the Mini because I don’t need 200 miles range as I will be replace my old 90 with it and basically it only needs to have winter range to get me the 50 miles round trip to Glasgow or 32 miles round trip to Stirling - any longer trips and I’ll use the new Defender. Having watched several YouTube channels both in the UK and USA some films are making some very long round trips using their electric Minis - like Florida to Colorado, Florida to New York.
There are loads of YouTube channels for EV’s - Out of Spec Motoring is a good one as they show how well/ badly various chargers and cars work on chargers (some cars claim rapid charging in minutes but the guy running the channel has proved that it is often only for seconds before the high charge rate drops off.
There’s also an interesting Norwegian channel - Bjorn Nyland who does some pretty in depth battery testing in various cars by driving 1000 km trips in them. Even the dreaded TFL has a stack of videos on EV’s they’ve owned and tested. You’ll spend as many hours watching these videos as you spent on the LR configurator building Defenders! At least with many EV’s there are not pages of options to decide on! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 12th Oct 2021 7:41am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #925304 11th Oct 2021 1:50pm
Farmerben

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
We've also got an order in for an Ioniq 5. Coming end of November. I think anyone who was a kid in the 80s totally falls in love with its retro futuristic styling. Just shy of a 300mile range and boot space big enough to sleep in with the seats down. Can also run any appliance with a three pin plug using the V2L adapter. https://instagram.com/bentheoandrews
Post #925329 11th Oct 2021 4:31pm
Gareth

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
We’ve got a VW e-up! arriving in the next week or so.

We chose it on the basis that it’s just about the cheapest ev you can buy, it will only need to do short journeys, so the 160 mile range won’t be an issue. We’ll be charging it overnight via a 3’pin domestic socket.

Very basic, but cheap motoring we hope! 2021 Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE D300 MHEV
1966 S2a 109 aka Betsy
1968 S2a 88 aka Bob
2014 Jaaaag F Type 3.0 Supercharged.
Post #925336 11th Oct 2021 5:37pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Is it too late for this guy?

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #925360 11th Oct 2021 8:38pm
J77

Scotland 
Tim in Scotland wrote:

Off Topic
J77 - find an EV dealership who will lend you a car for a long weekend, I really liked the EV experience with the Mini Countryman PHEV in full on electric mode that after mine was delivered I felt I should just have jumped straight to a full EV back 2018. My next door neighbours and I went to the launch of the Kia EV6 a couple of weeks back and very impressed except we both felt it was too big for our needs, they were driving an Evoque and a very old Polo. 10 days ago they went to test drive the Kia’s sister car the Ioniq5 and really liked it more for being shorter. They placed an order for the middle model in the range with next February or March estimated delivery……… The very next day, 29th Sept - Arnie Clark Hyundai phoned them and offered them a cancelled order top spec car with all sorts of options for the same price as they were going to pay for the lower spec car and delivery on 30th September …….. they’ve been delighted with it so far. Charging is easy even on the 3 pin plug charger but we have enough fast and rapid chargers locally they only need to go 4 miles to the next village to top up and she has free charging on a 22kW charger at work so they’ve only used the “granny” charger once.
If you are concerned about charging it away from home download the Zap Map or Plug Share apps and also look at the Charge Place Scotland website. We might not like Nicola or Paddy Harvey but they have given us almost free charging (£10 a year unlimited charging on CPS chargers) and many cars now come with 12 months free charging. I placed an order for a Mini E 10 days ago, comes with a years free BP Pulse charger use……… wow you think but when I checked their website the nearest BP Pulse charger to me is 35 mikes away in Dunblane………. Pretty well useless. I chose the Mini because I don’t need 200 miles range as I will be rescind my old 90 with it and basically it only needs to have winter range to get me the 50 miles round trip to Glasgow or 32 miles round trip to Stirling - any longer trips and I’ll use the Defender. Having watched several YouTube channels both in the UK and USA some films are making some very long round trips using their electric Minis - like Florida to Colorado, Florida to New York.
There are loads of YouTube channels for EV’s - Out of Spec Motoring is a good one as they show how ell/ badly various chargers and cars work on chargers (some cars claim rapid charging in minutes but the guy running the channel has proved that is often only for seconds before the high charge rate drops off.
There’s also an interesting Norwegian channel - Bjorn Nyland who does some pretty in depth battery testing in various cars by driving 1000 km trips in them. Even the dreaded TFL has a stack of videos on EV’s they’ve owned and tested. You’ll spend as many hours watching these videos as you spent on the LR configurator building Defenders! At least with many EV’s there are not pages of options to decide on!

Cheers Tim, I’ve watched a few EV videos. It’s only a couple of times a year I do big road trips for the rest of the year range ain’t an issue. I did try to get an I-Pace demo whilst my 90 was in the last time.

We’ll see what the dealer says regarding the 2wd issue, in the meantime I’ll see how high my 90s value goes. Selling up is the last resort. 23.5MY 90 D250 X-Dynamic SE, Pangea Green
Gone - 23MY 110 D250 XS Edition, Hakuba Silver
Gone - 21MY 90 D200 S, Tasman Blue, Fuji White roof.
Post #925361 11th Oct 2021 9:33pm
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
Hope he gets ‘market value’ 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #925362 11th Oct 2021 9:33pm
SN

Tim in Scotland wrote:
WBAC still offering three grand over what I paid for mine... Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)
Post #925363 11th Oct 2021 10:19pm
camelman

United Kingdom 
As they say, the market has 'been on fire' recently Whistle

Supacat wrote:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #925380 12th Oct 2021 7:01am
disco_matt

United Kingdom 
So, just to finish off the story...

Bought for £55K, sold for £68K and now up for £85K:

https://www.sytner.co.uk/landrover/car-sea...to-7-seat/
Post #925624 14th Oct 2021 1:06pm
Defendit..

Netherlands 
You've done the right thing. Don't look back. No Mud flaps for my 90.!
-----------------------------------------
P300 S on air, adv.+ offroad pack, DRL+fog, Dinamica Suedecloth + Ebony headliner/Cross Beam- Many Mods..
Post #925641 14th Oct 2021 3:26pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
* Average price of a used car rose by 23.9 per cent, year-on-year last week
* It’s the 76th consecutive week for price rises
* Jaguar XK led the price growth while MG5 stumbled

Over 17 per cent of the nearly new cars available in the market (those aged up to 12 months) are currently more expensive than brand new models, the firm said.

Auto Trader said ‘remarkably’ 37 per cent of nearly new cars are currently priced within five per cent of their brand-new counterparts, up from 28 per cent in August and 13 per cent at the start of the year.

Click image to enlarge

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/us...ses/237863
Post #926699 21st Oct 2021 4:35pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Supacat wrote:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Hate to guess what the James Bond 'specials' will do if you press the wrong button...... Shocked
Post #926722 21st Oct 2021 6:54pm
Mark1107

United States 
I was just offered $90,000 for my 2020 p400 HSE. It msrp at $82,000 and I paid $81,000 for it. I’m thinking about it...I really want a trek. It’s a really really hard decision...

Click image to enlarge
 2022 Defender Trek Competition 110 collectors edition!
2020 Defender 110 P400 Full Explorer Pack 7 Seater HSE Fuji White(sold)
2020 SVO Range Rover L405 Full Size Spectral Blue Chromaflair
2014 Range Rover L405 Autobiography Full Size Aintree Green
2014 Dodge Viper GTS Stryker Green
Post #926797 22nd Oct 2021 5:30pm
camelman

United Kingdom 
So my neighbour, after having to sit and look at my defenders for the last however many years, sold her Jag F-Type in March and bought a 110 First edition demonstrator.

After the umpteenth trip to the dealer to sort fault code after fault code has now been offered all of her money back.

The car has developed a tendency to slam the brakes on at the most inopportune moments for no reason. When describing the issue to the main dealer the response was "it's the responsibility of the vehicle behind to avoid a collision in this situation" Shocked

The car also sits there dead occasionally with a blank dash when she tries to start it, only to spring into life 2 minutes later??

They offered her a slot to investigate the issues at the end of November or the full purchase price back now. WBAC are offering the same amount.

I expect there will be a defender shaped gap in the drive by the end of the weekend... 
Post #927783 30th Oct 2021 8:49am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 7 of 7 <1234567