↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > DVLA Open consultation on HGV/BUS and removing trailer tests
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
They'll go back to the old way once the fatalities start. Unbelievable really. Its bad enough out there even with b&e, but as the roads are essentially un-policed it's just going to get worse. No doubt many people will now just assume they can tow 3500kg behind any vehicle, without consideration of braking requirements. This is a bone of contention even among landrover anoraks, many of whom will still not accept the much lower towing capacities of series vehicles as it is inconvenient. Overloaded and overspeed trailers are commonplace, as are overloaded rear axles on the towing vehicles. It really is like nobody cares anymore.

I wonder, as someone who did b&e how I get my refund on the training and test I may as well have not bothered taking? Evil or Very Mad 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #920945 10th Sep 2021 10:52pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
custom90

United Kingdom 
I think it’s a good thing, it’s simply enforcing equality. The same equality that previous generations had and enjoyed and increases productivity.

People won’t tow that weight anyway unless they have working need, the vast majority won’t know or be bothered.
Just the same as pre 97 licence holders many never did and still don’t tow.
Some do, and some don’t.
Many employers had difficulties getting work done by employees due to this as well.

It still means specs and rules apply, and I wouldn’t be surprised if penalty isn’t further increase if not abided to.
Even now, it’s not allowed until after the specified date.
E scooters are a damn site more dangerous, and the vast majority don’t want that.

The vast majority of the population won’t know this rule, or need or use it.
It will however help a lot of smaller employers and employees to boot.
That’s a good thing, common sense applies and we can’t go though life wrapped in cotton wool.
If we went on like that, our country will get weaker compared to others. You could argue it’s been allowed to slip that way a bit too far already.

I’m all for fairness and that is a move that I agree with, even though it’s never likely to be put to use by me anyway as I tow light.

Most people didn’t even understand the system before as it was over complicated.
It now makes better sense, and treats everyone equally. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #920946 10th Sep 2021 11:13pm
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
Overall I think it's a daft move, but selfishly I'm trying to get my D1 and D2+E sorted for scouting purposes and hoping they roll the same system out to the D1 test....

(Got my B+E a few years back, so very comfortable towing 3T behind both land rover and LWB van. LWB van with windows and seats is different though... Apparently!)
Post #920953 11th Sep 2021 12:40am
22900013A

I would be a lot less bothered if there was an equivalent increase in road policing, but there isn't. I've seen far too many instances of dangerous and/or illegal towing to think that going back to a free for all could possibly be a good idea. There seem to be far more trailers out and about now than in 97, and certainly many more vehicles capable of towing higher weights.
Where is the sense that (if I'm understanding this correctly) a person can pass their test and be limited to a 3500kg rigid vehicle, but can drive double that weight with it bending in the middle? Over the years I've spoken to many people who were not aware of the lower speed limits for towing, nor of rules such as being unable to use the right hand lane on the motorway. I don't see how the new rules will do anything to improve this. Let's face it it's only being done to free up the testing stations to address the manufactured "shortage" of HGV drivers. Even that (which I do not believe in, when I was driving for a living it could be hard to find work) would have been better addressed by forcing employers to pay a decent wage and offer good working conditions. I'll never drive for a living again for the simple reason they do not pay sick pay in my experience.

Sooner or later an overloaded 3500kg trailer is going to come unhitched at high speed with disastrous consequences, at that point the back pedalling will begin.

Just to pick up on the "equality" argument. Driving is a privilege, not a right. The sensible thing to have done in 1997 was mandate that after a certain date everyone towing a trailer must take a test. They also should have had it that that applied to any weight trailer, as too many people were using loopholes to avoid the test, often ending up with a large trailer behind a small towing vehicle. Where is the equality for those of us who did go through the right process and are now arguably out of pocket?

I just think its something it's so easy to get wrong that the,new,way is just asking for trouble. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #920968 11th Sep 2021 8:05am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
Agree with a lot of your points. However, anecdotally, I think those people are already towing illegally, and without the proper licensing. So I don't know how much it will actually change!

I've certainly never been pulled over to check I was licensed, despite passing my test in my early 20s and clearly not being old enough to have grandfather rights!
Post #920977 11th Sep 2021 8:55am
Jem_90

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Baltic Blue
Sorry duplicate post.
Post #920981 11th Sep 2021 9:04am
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
lets just get rid of all of the rules, I mean my Grandfather never took a driving test Full Stop and never did him any harm..........

Freedom........... Cool
Post #920989 11th Sep 2021 9:31am
90 Dreamer

you only have to look through this thread to see it may not actually be the 'best' idea...........

https://www.defender2.net/forum/post920762.html#920762
Post #920990 11th Sep 2021 9:33am
mrd1990

Wales 2000 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
I welcome this news. This might even be the first good thing the Tory party have done since coming to power.

Many forget an extra 600 quid on top of all the other motoring expenses is a push too far for some of us.

The Government's choice was to either give this country financial equality inline with the rest of Europe , e.g stopping tax evasion and corruption. Or it was to get rid of the license so people can afford to be poor. Tory's chose the latter.

Third and best choice would have been to make it free to get the training and license.

It will be interesting to see if accidents go up, hopefully they don't.
Post #921011 11th Sep 2021 11:47am
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
It’s a mad move on many levels, I don’t think they should just re-allow +e on b

but if they are doing it, why not go back to the pre 1997 approach?

Why can you do a C drive 30t but not a c1 van eg 4t and not a 3.5t trailer.

The whole thing needed some thought not the silly approach now.

And also, no one will do training…so look at those people out of work or investment wasted.

Not even start me on people reversing trailers Mike
Post #921069 11th Sep 2021 8:01pm
90 Dreamer

Yes know at least 2x Driving Instructors who only do Trailer Training and have specific cars / rigs to suit this purpose.......
No doubt they just became HGV drivers???

Plenty of people being thrown under the bus at the moment to protect others??
Post #921072 11th Sep 2021 8:24pm
90 Dreamer

And another thing......??

Is this a temporary reprieve like the Covid / MOT exemption or permanent on-going??
Post #921073 11th Sep 2021 8:25pm
22900013A

miker wrote:
Agree with a lot of your points. However, anecdotally, I think those people are already towing illegally, and without the proper licensing. So I don't know how much it will actually change!

I've certainly never been pulled over to check I was licensed, despite passing my test in my early 20s and clearly not being old enough to have grandfather rights!

I've never been pulled either. As I said before, I wouldnt be so bothered if the roads were actually policed but they simply aren't. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #921080 11th Sep 2021 9:40pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I’d imagine they are looking mainly for dangerous loads and using ANPR.
Obvious things like timber stuck out a car window by 2m, or tractor trailer loads with no straps and things like that that are very dangerous indeed.
It doesn’t take a genius to spot an overloaded trailer or vehicles either, flat bed Transits are common for it.
Some with loose loads in the rear with no cargo net with concrete blocks on top of rubble as an example put on top of tonnes of topsoil. All in a transit bed. That kind of thing.

The level of the safety risk is their main concern, and I wouldn’t be surprised if penalty for wrongdoing isn’t increased at the same time.
As an example towing at excess speed…
In the US licences are granted with a big trailer towing payload as standard, granted their trucks, trailers etc are bigger and heavier as standard.

It still stands that if you do something wrong you are still responsible, most people will not undertake heavier towing unless confident to do so.
The exact same applies to pre 97 licences, there are millions with a pre 97 who never have towed, but could. Just excess red tape.

And as stated already before, I am tending to think the pre 97 licensing system is and was better.
But I can understand the annoyance of those that did take a +E test.
Which begs the question of perhaps it shouldn’t have been introduced in the first place.

I’m guessing that was Blair in 97?

People need to have more responsibility for themselves and they actions and enable more freedoms to do what they need to especially when it comes to earning a living.
There are far too many barriers to working and earning for under 40’s and encourages distain between generations which really isn’t needed nor welcomed.
There should be more capability to rub along together and learn from those with many years knowledge on the job. And less person X can only do job Y and person B isn’t allowed to do xx at all. (Not even start).

I think the vast majority of the population, younger, older or in between would prefer that we all have good rights and freedoms to enjoy. After all, it’s what previous generations fought for, freedom and Liberty for all in our country.

Trailer towing speed limits are in the current current Theory test IIRC for the B test if memory serves me well. So it is expected to be knowledge that is required. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #921087 11th Sep 2021 10:28pm
RobKeay

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Saying the removal of b+e would result in people thinking they can tow a horse box behind a fiesta is a little daft. There will not be a rush to now overload trailers because easing of licensing. Grandfather rights should also never be given, just because you have done something for years does not make you safe.

It will make employment a little easier. Towing a one tonne chipper behind 3.5tonne can now be done by ether a 17 or 70
year old. I know who I’d rather by towing. Employers will still need to prove the operator is competent if the worst happens.

Safety of the item towed is key to safe roads. Old tyres, brakes and lighting none of which checked. A yearly test would be more helpful to road safety.

For professional drivers tacho and operators license are still required.
Post #921088 11th Sep 2021 10:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>