↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Domestic socket rating
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

Domestic socket rating
I have a U.K. 3 pin domestic socket in the boot of my car. I believe in other markets you can opt for one for your home market but search as I can I haven’t been able to find out what sort of loading you can safely put through it - I’m assuming there’s no way it would power a domestic kettle and at the weekend I tried to plug my camera battery charger into it but it wouldn’t fit because of the shape of the boot floor - it’s one of those chargers with the 3 pins moulded directly onto the back of it rather than one on a lead.
I also assume it’s not meant for charging phones etc as there are so many 12v, USB A and C sockets already dotted around the cabin Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #854730 7th Sep 2020 4:22pm
camelman

United Kingdom 
Does it not state on the plug socket how many watts it is? The image from the brochure shows something but it is obscured by the actual plug.
Post #854732 7th Sep 2020 4:31pm
G4R1

United Kingdom 
I believe it’s only 180w rated. Im not sure if its suitable for charging gadgets.
Post #854733 7th Sep 2020 4:34pm
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
180W 110-240V

I believe it's a pure sine wave converter too so it should be good for laptops, cameras... One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #854738 7th Sep 2020 4:46pm
Tim in Scotland

Looks like new glasses are needed Embarassed

Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #854782 7th Sep 2020 7:19pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
alantd wrote:
180W 110-240V

I believe it's a pure sine wave converter too so it should be good for laptops, cameras...

Unusual, but definitely an advantage if it is.
Post #854800 7th Sep 2020 8:11pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
It seems a strange place to locate the plug socket. So low down, especially when, as per Tim's photo, a load mat will further reduce the clearance below the socket. Does that small section of the load mat lift out Tim to access the tie down loop?
Apart from the difficulty in plugging in many adaptors and even standard UK style plugs with moulded downward facing cable supports, it looks quite vulnerable to getting knocked by moving luggage or being soaked from wet gear or dogs. And presumably, with anything plugged in it will prevent large items of luggage from being placed flush against the side of the load bay area.I would have thought placing it higher up, or on the rear trim panel somewhere would make more sense, but perhaps I am just being picky.
Post #854809 7th Sep 2020 8:45pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
0.78 Amps (180 Watts divided by 230 Volts) so not a lot. but enough for gadget charging

If LR start selling a Kettle to plug in to that socket, it might take all week to boil Rolling with laughter
Post #854830 7th Sep 2020 9:43pm
Tim in Scotland

Lohr500 - the mat has numerous cut out lines, but for the money you pay LR expects you, the customer, to take a craft knife to them to cut them out......I have never needed the tie down rings in any of my cars so don’t bother to cut them to shape and I suspect many owners are the same. It was the same with my L322’s, Evoque’s and RRS’s and they were so mean that when I went from L320RRS to L494 RRS they moved the tie downs a little and moved the wheel arches so my old L320 rubber mat wouldn’t fit. Big Cry and I had to buy a new one. The old ones sell well on the used market/ forum For Sale section!
Strangely my Evoque boot mat fitted perfectly in the Mini Countryman’s boot, even the lashing ring cut outs were just about in the same places so I didn’t need to spend money on a BMW boot mat!

BTW I would suggest the the L663 Defender mat is essential, not to stop damage to the fake chequer plate floor but because it is so darned slippery that anything in the boot not secured just slides around on every bend or hill. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #854848 7th Sep 2020 10:48pm
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
All they had to do was turn the socket around 90 degrees. Even a plug with a cable protector would be a pain to plug in to that.
Post #854877 8th Sep 2020 8:20am
Tim in Scotland

This won’t fit in it as it’s what I tried on Sunday - even with the mat removed it wouldn’t plug in fully. It’s the charger for my Fuji X-20 camera that takes a mobile phone type battery. I cannot charge the battery while it’s in the camera via a USB connection

Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 8th Sep 2020 8:36am. Edited 2 times in total
Post #854881 8th Sep 2020 8:30am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
camelman wrote:

Is that a tie-down point completely obscured by the USB adaptor?

It looks very like another 'own goal' to me, a great idea completely devalued by crass implementation!
Post #854882 8th Sep 2020 8:31am
Tim in Scotland

That charger from the brochure is not a U.K. plug type it’s Euro 2 pin by the look of it and yes that’s a tie down point right below the socket. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #854883 8th Sep 2020 8:37am
Vin60

Russia 
Anyone considered possibility to update to more powerful inverter? LR099090 inverter, which JLR uses in RR, RRS and DEF is too weak to charge laptop, like shown on brochure picture since its requires 1,5A
Post #918574 24th Aug 2021 7:57pm
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
180W should be more than enough to charge a laptop? Even a beefy MacBook Pro can only take 60 odd watts from memory.

The sub-1 amp rating at 230V is kind of irrelevant when the laptop/device charger will step down to 12 or 5 volts anyway? Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #918606 24th Aug 2021 10:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>