Home > My New Defender (L663) > MY22 Defender S 200
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Kubrick1978

United Kingdom 
MY22 Defender S 200
Alas I have finally taken receipt of my new Defender:

D200 S - Carpathian Grey, ordered before the configurator changed, so managed to get the following:

Privacy glass
Black 19in alloys
Santorini Black front and rear bumpers
side-steps
deep rubber mats
cross bars
Sliding panoramic roof
11.4 inch screen,
Grained leather ebony interior
LEDs with signature DRL
ClearSight rearview mirror
Meriden sound system
Leather steering wheel
Classic front and rear mud flaps

Some ext. pics below:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #914155 26th Jul 2021 9:08pm
Al_Ra

England 
Oof. Great spec - looks fantastic!
Post #914159 26th Jul 2021 9:26pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Did you mean 'At last' rather than 'Alas'? It sounds like you're disappointed, which you clearly have no reason to be Laughing Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #914168 26th Jul 2021 9:46pm
Kubrick1978

United Kingdom 
Thanks! I'm really pleased with it. Tomorrow I'll pen some thoughts about my experience from ordering to getting the car - be interesting to see how it compares to everyone else. If I could go back I'd definitely get the off road pack. I was never given a 'last time to make any changes' date so missed the boat on that one - hopefully it won't scupper me too much. In terms of the 6 cylinder D200, it definitely seems nippy enough once the beast is in motion. I think I just need to get used to its sweet spots. Overall very pleased with it and think it looks really smart for 'one off the base spec' models with add ons.
Post #914169 26th Jul 2021 9:51pm
Kubrick1978

United Kingdom 
I definitely meant 'at last' - I've been playing with the configurator for the best part of two years! Rolling with laughter
Post #914171 26th Jul 2021 9:53pm
4B4B

United Kingdom 
Great looking vehicle. And some nice extras on it too. Worth the wait. Defender 90 HSE 250D 2022MY - Gave up after two failed orders
Post #914183 26th Jul 2021 10:44pm
haymeister

Japan 
Looking very nice! Were the painted bumpers in the configuration or you asked the dealer to do them pre
-delivery?
Post #914186 26th Jul 2021 11:52pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 V8 Petrol 50th Auto Chawton White
Very nice, can't wait for mine Thumbs Up Cheers Ian
--------------------
22MY Defender 110 D200 SE, Fuji White.
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Instagram @defender_v8
Post #914187 26th Jul 2021 11:54pm
Kubrick1978

United Kingdom 
The painted bumpers were an add on that I requested from the dealership. I thought the standard coloured bumpers contrasted a little too much with the grey (originally I had seen the X-Dynamic trim in the flesh - and didn't realise that the bumpers on those vehicles were in a premium silver - should've spotted this). I think the configurator could do better at explaining the differences more between the X-Dynamic etc and the standard Defender - because it's hard to see much difference on the external visualisations. And it would be good to see a database of colour variations in the flesh - surely JLR can take pics of vehicles produced and store them somewhere and classify them for us to look at? Anyway I had seen some Defenders with body coloured bumpers and black bumpers, and decided the contrast would be nice to have darkened bumpers against the grey. If I had picked Silicon Silver, I think it would have looked like the X-Dynamic.

Anyway the Dealer said they would happily paint them in Santorini Black (or whatever colour I specified) for £800+VAT. I thought this was a good option because you can only specify this on more expensive models and it really makes the back of the vehicle look better against the black alloys. This was a land rover body shop so I probably paid too much. I've seen on these forums that others have got bumpers resprayed for half that amount (but I don't know whether that is just the painting or whether it includes taking them off and putting them back on and doing battle with all those plastic clips) - I didn't fancy smashing up my car straight away so opted to just get it done before delivery.
Post #914192 27th Jul 2021 7:21am
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
Looks great Kubrick. Thumbs Up

Did you collect or have it delivered?
Post #914201 27th Jul 2021 8:21am
Kubrick1978

United Kingdom 
Had it delivered. Quite a strange process really. Chap turned up, put it on my drive and then slung me a couple of keys and left pretty quick. No quick intro to the car or anything. Keys as they were - no box like i've seen on these forums. I never even got my Jerry email! The guy left before I'd even checked the car.
Post #914203 27th Jul 2021 8:28am
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
Still trying to decide with mine. If its driven delivery I may give that a miss with the P400. Trailered is okay.
Post #914208 27th Jul 2021 9:07am
Kubrick1978

United Kingdom 
Sorry I meant it was trailered.

Some thoughts on my Landy below (apologies for the length)

Ever since my wife was looking at old Jeep Wranglers, I got the bug to want to get a proper off-roading vehicle. This was about a year before the new JL Wrangler launched in the UK, so I was reading up a lot about it from the States, and it looked amazing. It was at this time when I also started seeing some of the early Defender testing taking place, in full camouflage, either in Africa or on a rally circuit. Suffice to say I kept tabs on it. I had driven an old 90 around when I was in my early 20s and I’ve always loved land rovers. I liked the uncomfortable drive because it was just so different to everything else. I think the dream of adventure is another factor. I live far away from the mountains and lakes, but having a landy on the drive would connect me to it somehow, even if most of the time I’m going to be shuttling kids around.

Anyway I became obsessive over both the Jeep and the new Defender, and at the same time began to track the progress of the Ineos Grenadier, and also what Rivian were doing out in America. Rivian looked really interesting but it was always too far away (timescales wise), as was Ineos, and this year my company car was going back and I felt like now was the time to get the car that I wanted – rather than be locked into another 4 years with a more conventional motor.

So this meant a straight fist fight between the Defender and the Jeep. I test drove a P300 Defender 110 and also a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. I was surprised by how good the Wrangler was to drive on the road (thinking it would be rubbish compared to the Defender – especially the Rubicon) but it was actually pretty good. The Defender was a lot more practical, spacious and high-tech, but personally I thought the Jeep had more character and was truer to its roots. For me the Defender doesn’t quite look right from the front, but I love its side profile. Jeep were also doing a stack of deals on the Wrangler – basically the £50K list price was essentially £10K off and monthly financing wasn’t too bad. However I moved away from the Jeep due to its smaller space, inability to tow much, issues with roof loading and its 1 star safety rating (which was ultimately the deal-breaker because of the kids).

When I had decided to go for a Defender, I really wanted the hybrid, but just couldn’t justify the hike in price (and miss out on a better specced Defender for a lot cheaper). I drive a VE Passat Estate GTE around – and for me it’s just a tax dodge. I hardly ever charge it because it only lasts a few of miles. If I lived in Europe I’d probably have to get the hybrid for tax reasons, but I was willing to get hit by the £2K tax charge in the UK and go for a combustion engine. I figured the car would hold its value via PCP (with the ability to give it back or trade it in for hopefully a full electric vehicle in 4 years’ time). I also liked the idea of getting ‘one’ of the last great combustion engines.

For the past year I have been messing around on the configurator – but finally put my order in on the 22nd March 2021. I wanted the Defender to the look the business on the outside, and so opted for Carpathian Grey – which was my favourite colour. I originally opted for a base spec, because I felt it had everything I needed, and I went back and forth adding and subtracting options via the configurator. Having seen the cloth interior on numerous YouTube videos I decided I needed something better for a £50K plus car, and moved up to the S spec. I then added the signature lights, a panoramic roof, 11.4in screen, privacy glass, the clearSight rear view mirror and the Meriden sound system. In the configurator all of this at the time was around £57K, but through Drive the Deal (DtD) I got the price down to around £53K. I was then connected to a dealer some 200 miles away.

In terms of the dealership, at first my impression of them was good. I had originally looked at getting a jump seat, but the dealer shot a video of him in a jump seat and it showed me it wouldn’t meet my needs. I was then given a build date early June for delivery end of June. In terms of the dealership I was never given a ‘last time to change’ date and so missed the ability to add the off-road pack, which I was disappointed about. In terms of JLR generally, I received no correspondence from the company until the Defender was pretty much on my drive – to set up my In Control account. Between the order date of March 22nd and delivery (which was delayed a month) on 26th July I received very little communications from the dealership. Many of my questions were either ignored or forgotten about, which was a little frustrating. In my honest opinion I just think the dealer was over-worked (I would get emails at 22:00 and he always sounded super busy). When I managed to reach him on the phone he was always polite and responsive, but he often wasn’t around.

The dealer added the side steps, cross bars and classic F&R mud flaps after it arrived in the UK. I also bought the deep rubber mats and had the bumpers painted in Santorini Black. I received no discount for any of this – even the mats weren’t thrown in as a freebie (some of the people on this forum have managed to negotiate better than me!) Also, in terms of experiences, when the car was delivered to me yesterday, the chap just handed me a couple of keys and drove away. Since then I still haven’t heard from the dealer to enquire whether I’m happy with everything – all these things probably need improving by JLR in my opinion.

Anyway – enough of this nonsense. What is the car like? I went for the D200 because it was a 6-cylinder and seemed to have better torque than the D240 (which was already getting great reviews). For me personally, it suits my needs perfectly. My Defender isn’t to be driven at speed – I enjoy towering over everything and absorbing what’s around me. The D200 feels very refined, and whilst a little slow from a standing start I think it’s pretty darn good once it gets going. It’s just about getting used to it. And the more I drive it the easier it is getting. Pivi Pro will take some getting used to. The time it stays on before automatically turning off seems to be quite varied at the moment. Anyway I will look forward to sharing any weird observations I have going forward and contributing to these excellent forums as much as I can.

Time to claim that free off-roading voucher from JLR – which they will not remind me about I am sure 
Post #914232 27th Jul 2021 12:05pm
Tim in Scotland

LRE day reminder - I took delivery of my car in June 2020 and not long after got my invite to the half day but then we went back into lockdown and I didn’t bother following it up as I’ve done 7 or 8 LRE full days. On Friday last week I got an email reminding me that I haven’t yet taken up my half day voucher, so they following up on unclaimed vouchers for the time being. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #914248 27th Jul 2021 1:24pm
Al_Ra

England 
You don't need to wait for the voucher - just get in touch with your chosen experience centre and give them your car reg. Although be warned: Eastnor is booked up until Jan '22.
Post #914251 27th Jul 2021 1:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>