↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Faults & Fixes (L663) > First bit to fall off……
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

First bit to fall off……
Today I stopped to fuel up and noticed that the fuel filler flap wouldn’t push in to release………. Just a fingernail in the gap and lever it open with no effort and found the rubber covered spring has fallen out of its holder sometime as it wasn’t on the ground below the flap and hadn’t rolled away. Hope it isn’t a mortgage and a day at the dealership to replace it. It means that the flap no longer locks with the central locking system too

Click image to enlarge
 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #912222 13th Jul 2021 5:18pm
boxoftricks

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
And your expectations buying a defender were..... Rolling with laughter
Post #912223 13th Jul 2021 5:30pm
Slideywindows

England 
I love the wording of the thread title.

OP has clearly had long experience of Land Rovers. Thumbs Up Laughing
Post #912224 13th Jul 2021 5:44pm
Ryderoo

England 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Santorini Black
How annoying

No consolation, it’s good to see the adblue filler in a suitable location, unlike the D5, under the bonnet.

Pain in the a*s but back to the dealer for such a silly item to fail.

Let’s hope it doesn’t have a semiconductor in it!!! Cheers Simon

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you

2015 Urban Truck 90 XS Santorini Black Hard Top - Reluctantly gone
2020 Discovery 5 Eiger Grey 3.0 SE
2021 Defender S D250 Santorini Black 110 Hard Top on the drive
Post #912225 13th Jul 2021 5:45pm
Balvaig

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Corris Grey
Knowing how LR works with spares it will be probably at least two weeks, as it will need a complete new flap, sprayed to body colour. Whistle
Hopefully common sense will prevail and the missing bit can be sourced.
Post #912234 13th Jul 2021 7:21pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
The old D3/RRS1 problem!  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #912235 13th Jul 2021 7:25pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tim in Scotland

I’ll be passing my local dealership tomorrow and then Taggarts Glasgow North on Thursday so will find out from one or the other what the supply situation is.

Martin - I never had this happen on any of my L320’s but on one of them the flap jammed closed which was embarrassing as it happened on a filling station forecourt. Fortunately a bit of force with the old style mis-fuelling tool released it. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #912242 13th Jul 2021 7:49pm
J77

Scotland 
First time I’ve seen that. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #912325 14th Jul 2021 11:24am
SN

Tim in Scotland wrote:
on one of them the flap jammed closed which was embarrassing as it happened on a filling station forecourt. Fortunately a bit of force with the old style mis-fuelling tool released it.

I had this on both my D3's - central lock/unlock trick always sprung it open though - strangely always happeed when I was running on fumes Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)
Post #912334 14th Jul 2021 12:37pm
Tim in Scotland

Well you would think it’s a simple repair wouldn’t you?

To replace just the rubber cover (about 10p) and the spring/sensor (probably 20p) I have to have a whole new internals for the filler area……….. filler surround, inner hinge and outer flap as in the picture

Click image to enlarge

While it’s in the sick bay for that I’ve asked them to fix the inoperative Auto Stop/Start that stopped working after the last OTA update (up to that installing it worked all the time except in mid winter when it was very cold when it doesn’t work anyway) , to find out why the navigation screen in the dash still isn’t showing the roads clearly in the night setting which was supposed to be cured in the last OTA update - receptionist’s reply is that the battery might not have high enough charge so they need the cat overnight to check the battery and carry out the software checks…….

I also asked them to carry out an unscheduled/ out of schedule oil and oil filter change which they quoted £148 for after some “conversation” about whether the car needed one as the service due light isn’t showing. After an polite exchange that I wasn’t bothered about if an oil/filter change is due or not I just want to change them as the car is midway between scheduled services now and I don’t believe that the oil and filter are as efficient as the day that the car was delivered and don’t want to go to 2 years/ 21000 miles between changes in view of previous issue suffered by the 4 cylinder Ingenium engines in Evoque, Disco Sport and D5 that lead to engine failure……… and I’m paying for it anyway and they will make a bit of profit from doing the job too.

Who trains these people to turn down things like oil and filter changes out of schedule that earn their employer a bit of profit?
Is it strange that someone who actually owns the car (it isn’t leased or on a loan) wants to look after the engine and give it a fresh dose of lube and a clean filter? Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 14th Jul 2021 2:17pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #912346 14th Jul 2021 2:11pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
£148 seems quite cheap for a dealer oil and filter change!
Post #912347 14th Jul 2021 2:17pm
Tim in Scotland

That’s what I thought too, especially as it cannot be far off that just for the hard to get oil.
Will be interesting to see if they have to remove the metal underbody protection plates or do it by sucking the old oil out through the dipstick tube……. On my last RRS it was an extra hours Labour to remove the cladding beneath the engine and put it back - cannot have been a nice job as that car frequently went into deep mud which I couldn’t ever wash out……… Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #912348 14th Jul 2021 2:19pm
Simon Audi

United Kingdom 
£149 is cheap - 10L oil is that plus filter - BARGAIN...

I expect it will be sucked out.
Post #912355 14th Jul 2021 3:31pm
Tim in Scotland

Just checked and the iguide states that for the 2lt diesels an oil and filter change needs 7 ltrs of oil - using the most expensive 0w30 Castrol Edge Professional oil the car uses, on Amazon it’s £72 for a 5 ltr + 2x1ltr canisters next day delivery on Prime, no idea how much the filters are but they cannot be more than £20 a pop so say Labour is £140 an hour…………… they aren’t allowing much time to do a filter and oil change! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #912363 14th Jul 2021 4:39pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Tim in Scotland wrote:
Well you would think it’s a simple repair wouldn’t you?

Er, no! I have owned Landrovers long enough (and modern enough) to expect the complete opposite, I'm afraid. It actually offends me that in these times when conservation, recycling and reuse, environmental damage and whole-life costs are so high on everyone's agenda that car manufactures use so many non-serviceable subassemblies. You used to be able to rebuld things like wiper motors and replace the brushes etc., now you bin the motor and fit a new one. Madness! This doesn't surprise me in the slightest, I'm afraid,

Tim in Scotland wrote:
To replace just the rubber cover (about 10p) and the spring/sensor (probably 20p) I have to have a whole new internals for the filler area……….. filler surround, inner hinge and outer flap as in the picture...

Does the outer flap need painting to match the car?
Post #912369 14th Jul 2021 5:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>