↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > INEOS Grenadier > The Summer Tour ~ UPDATE ~Wales postponed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
The Summer Tour ~ UPDATE ~Wales postponed
Perhaps a little late, as the vehicle has already been showing as Goodwood Festival of Speed, but just received this email about where it will be next:

Click image to enlarge

The Game Fair at Rigley Hall
23rd - 25th July

Summer of Cycling Roadshow
10th/11th July - Newlands Corner, Surrey
17th/18th July - Forest Park MBC, Wales
24th/25th July - Rosedale Caravan Park, Yorkshire
08:00 – 16:00 each day

The Classic at Silverstone
30th July - 1st August

Hoping this last one is a typo...

"Silverstone is a fitting event, as it’s full of passion and adrenaline on 4 wheels.
This year we are giving YOU the opportunity to join us on 2 wheels, on Friday 30th July to enjoy the event and join us in the INEOS Grenadier Fun Ride that evening on the legendary Silverstone F1 Circuit. Places are limited and will be offered on a first come first serve basis.
If you are interested click 'Yes, sign me up' below, and if you are successful we will email you confirmation with all of the details."

Edit ~ new date for Wales:

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by Supacat on 16th Jul 2021 5:39pm. Edited 4 times in total
Post #911642 9th Jul 2021 5:07pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I wonder if they’ll bring it to us peasants in the North? 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #911643 9th Jul 2021 5:09pm
Supacat

An expedition over the hill for you my boy...
Post #911644 9th Jul 2021 5:12pm
Bluest

If I can find my passport and get quadruple vaccines I might have a run out to dark side of the Pennines. Mr. Green

Are these things by invitation only? I’ve signed up to all the emails, but not had this one. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #911669 9th Jul 2021 6:55pm
Supacat

It may be dark, but it's the driest side, leave your wellies at home, come in your best pair of smart casual clogs. 😜

Comms from Ineos seems very hit and miss.

I must have signed up multiple times but never been told that the email address is already registered?
Post #911670 9th Jul 2021 6:59pm
RFT

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Zermatt Silver
Bluest wrote:
I wonder if they’ll bring it to us peasants in the North?

Yorkshire is "Up tnorf" 130 Puma HCPU with an Artica 240LR Demountable Camper
Post #911682 9th Jul 2021 8:00pm
Bluest

It’s not North like Lancashire though is it? You grow your own tea, so therefore must be tropical by nature. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #911689 9th Jul 2021 8:45pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
It’s impressive…….

Went along to see the vehicle at Newlands Corner this morning.

The vehicle is the test one that did followed the riders on the Grand Tours last year, so dark blue in colour, single wiper and very blacked out glass to disguise that there was not much on the inside.

All doors where locked, ‘ as there was nothing to see’.

It is Unwin tracking and not their own version

The roof / alpine grab handles do look good and practical, both for holding and lashing things to the roof using straps.,

There are two blanking plates ready to pop off and bolt the air intake to, another 2 x 2 inch square on the top of one wing, no idea as to why.

The size looks just right. Same as the Defender classic but with a longer wheelbase, longer second row door, possibly resulting in a rear load bed that is not as long as a Defender 110 station wagon.

Love the split Toyota style split rear door.

Odd things are all below the chassis which I know we have seen from previous pictures. The radius and trailing arms are connected to the underside of the chassis and not to one side as per the defender.

Something around the gearbox is hanging low and was covered by a guard. The intercooler or radiator (couldn’t really tell which) hangs low at the front and results in the front skid plate sitting vertical at the front before being angled like a traditional skid plate.

The rear ‘skid plate’ appears only to protect the exhaust silencer from being reversed in something. The rear silencer is big and low. Think Freelander 1 and how easy they were to knock off their mounts when off road. The rear plate looks like it could dig in and act like an anchor.

As a result there looks to be a lot of stuff hanging low and could get caught up depending on ground conditions. That would be something that you would want someone else to test thoroughly and I certainly wouldn’t trust any reviews if they tested the vehicle on the manicured ‘off road’ track at Mercedes World. (You could drive a Lotus around it and have more fun.

Other thing to note, the front anti roll bar looks similar to a Jeep Wrangler, it’s high and in front of the axle and uses control rods to connect to the axle. If so will someone make a disconnect kit to allow more axle travel.

The fuel tank looked like a long range tank I guess used during testing so not having to fill up as must. It too was hanging lower with a square edge at the front ready to strike rocks etc

No word on pricing, where it is being retailed, no info on servicing, no wading or key angles for off road driving.

And finally. That bumper. It’s a bit like painting a wort on the nose of the Mona Lisa and then trying to ignore it, you can’t.. But then Jeep were forced to do the same for the European market for the Wrangler.

In terms of use, I guess it is horses for courses. As it stands it does not look to be as adaptable as the Old Defender ( apart from a dual cab pickup no idea if there will be a three door.), a normal panel van would suit most commercial business’ in terms of size and carrying ability. Will current Defender Classic owners buy it once councils continue to use emissions to expand daily charges.

Who knows. Let’s wait to get behind the wheel first then see how it fits our life styles.
Post #911786 10th Jul 2021 4:07pm
Supacat

Nice details. Thumbs Up

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Any photos?

"2 x 2 inch square on the top of one wing, no idea as to why"
Appears on some prototypes but not others:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

"The fuel tank looked like a long range tank I guess used during testing so not having to fill up as must. It too was hanging lower with a square edge at the front ready to strike rocks etc"
Tank design appears to have changed considerably from early to late prototypes:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by Supacat on 10th Jul 2021 5:29pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #911789 10th Jul 2021 5:04pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
I think I'm working at the Game fair, so might haveto take a wander over and see it in the flesh.
Post #911791 10th Jul 2021 5:27pm
Bluest

If the ones they’re showing have no interior, I’m not going to bother at this stage. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #911796 10th Jul 2021 6:04pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Supercat

I did not take any pictures today as it was raining and i did not think you would have seen anything different from the pictures that you have posted before.

My key takeaway from today (until we can get inside ) is for an off-roader is how much is hanging below the chassis, including the front edge of the fuel tank.... Shocked

Also interesting, we were there at mid day, was how few people were looking at the vehicle. also we were the only Land Rover in the car park and even then we were in the wife's Velar as we had other things to do after.

If it wasn't for your post i would not have known it was there, there wasn't even a banner advertising the fact at the entrance to to the car park.
Post #911819 10th Jul 2021 8:46pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Rigley Hall?! Ragley Hall…
Post #911834 10th Jul 2021 10:46pm
Supacat

markb110 - thanks.

Sounds like it all might have been quite a late decision to show, or the fact that they were only showing an early exterior prototype so kept it on the down low.

Assuming the later prototype with the full interior at Goodwood is available from tomorrow, then maybe that will appear at the future events?

Actually, scratch that. Looking at the dates again, the Game Fair clashes with the Yorkshire event. I'd imagine that the Game Fair would be the biggest event and so get the interior model and the Yorkshire event the exterior only model.

Shame. I was going to consider the Yorkshire event, but maybe not just for the exterior. I'd have been disappointed if I had travelled expecting both and then only finding the exterior model. Their comms are a little poor from that perspective (and the typo on the Game Fair location Rolling Eyes).

Last edited by Supacat on 11th Jul 2021 9:42am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #911849 11th Jul 2021 7:04am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
No notice of anything here in France. Knowing how the French think about cars, both the buyers (prefer French brands and very budget oriented) and the Govt (heavy pollution taxes), I think this will be a very rare sell here. As such, marketing/launch seems to be very low key.

I think this UK ‘tour’ (the first), shows that despite it being designed in Austria and being built in France, Ineos/Ratcliffe see this as a British car. Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #911866 11th Jul 2021 9:40am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>