↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > INEOS Grenadier > Episode 9 Interior Design
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 9 of 11 <123 ... 8 91011>
Print this entire topic · 
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
I think the interior looks better when photographed outside of a design studio.

Various Goodwood snaps from social media:

Hadn't noticed the built in trinket tray on upper surface of the dashboard before.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #911852 11th Jul 2021 7:47am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Love that blue. The question for me remains, will someone offer an AM bumper. During one of the videos there was an implication that the bumper was the size it was to be preprepared for adding a winch, the philosophy they’ve used across the vehicle. It’s the one thing I still can’t get my head around. At least the blue hides it a bit. Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #911859 11th Jul 2021 9:05am
LandymanStefan

England 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
I’m sure there will be aftermarket bumpers available from the get go. They said in the interior video they’ve already been in contact with accessory companies for roo bars so I’m sure they’ll be making bumpers too.
Post #911862 11th Jul 2021 9:20am
Supacat

I think these are just social media photos hops, but give an idea:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #911904 11th Jul 2021 1:03pm
Supacat

mse wrote:
I’m glad they have spent all this time to make a truly hideous and pointless car in another country

Are you sure this has been posted in the right section?

Click image to enlarge

As with all these generic mudslinging posts, they appear to be equally applicable to both vehicles. People in glass houses... Whistle
Post #911906 11th Jul 2021 1:17pm
Supacat

ChasingOurTrunks wrote:

My only hesitation is that the knob to control the main screen is located such that it would seem to rule out a middle jump seat. I’m hopeful that’s not the case on all cars, but that’s my only quibble. My dogs often like to lie down on the centre console and that knob will get bumped a lot. But that happens on my current vehicle and was way worse on my jeep; the point is it’s a very minor gripe. Overall everything else — from the pre wired switches to the toot button to the Ricaro seats - make this my next, and maybe my last ICE adventure vehicle.

Apparently, considered:

"INEOS says it considered a centre front seat like that available in the new Defender, but ruled it out due to poor comfort."
https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/deta...ed-130842/
Post #911918 11th Jul 2021 2:36pm
Prospector

United States 
After becoming familiar with a vehicle, the number of switches aren't the problem, it's the location of switches. It appears the Grenadier has done a fairly good of location.

I'm not concerned with the overhead panel(s) of switches. These switches are not usually needed for on highway driving. Additionally the ancillary switches located further back are accessory specific, and normally wouldn't be switched on during pavement driving. Switching on a light bar when driving on a well travelled street should send a strong electric shock to the driver to let them know that it is discourteous to other motorists.

Differential locking: First the center differential is not something I want locked when driving on dry pavement in high range, period. However, there are conditions to locked the center differential in high range. So I'm happy to have an on / off switch for that function. If it's necessary to be in low range, then I want the Center Locked. The front and rear lockers are another matter. I would never operate the front or rear lockers in high range, only low range, and only when driving less than 15 mph (25 kph). It isn't advisable to drive through soft and slippery terrain too fast, then have one tire land on a submerged obtain and firmly grab traction. The intent spike in torque is not good, and even well built things break. I firmly believe front and rear lockers are only for off-roading on difficult terrain, not a dirt lane.

I agree with one poster that suggested the front and rear lockers are operated by a solenoid or something similar driven to electric impulse of the switch. It is difficult from me to think it is mechanically operated, when the driver throws an electric switch.
Post #911951 11th Jul 2021 8:05pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Pure speculation but I suspect the front and rear lockers will only operate in low range and will probably disengage when shifted back to high range. They may even disengage above a set speed in low range.

As for the centre diff lock, I personally prefer the flexibility of being able to run with it locked or unlocked in both high and low range. We use a couple of old Auto box Discos for hauling dinghies and rescue boats around the hard standing where I sail. We leave them in low range as all the work is at slow speed. Low range gives more control over manoeuvrability and puts less load through the torque convertors. Leaving the centre diff open puts less stress on the drive train when making tight turns on the concrete slipways. In the past we've used Terrano's and Mitsubishi's. On both those types, the centre diff is locked solid in low box and we have ended up breaking front diffs and UV joints from what I suspect was transmission wind up.
Post #911954 11th Jul 2021 8:28pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I really like the interior. I like the switches, they seem well laid out and the over-head console I think looks great.

I agree with Grenadier, the front bumper is a bit of a let down although I can see why it has been designed like this. It does look a fairly good width to sit on.

Just an observation, and not specifically pointed at the Grenadier but if a small stone chip in my screen, or something hanging from my rear view mirror will fail my MOT, how do manufacturers get away with these dirty great screens poking up above the dash board ?? I'm not anti-display screen , I am just curious as to what the rules are for blocking the screen area? The screens in motors seem to be getting larger and imposing on the screen. I'm sure the people who design these things are comfortable with their designs and know what they are doing.
Post #911967 11th Jul 2021 10:28pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Rashers, I’ve often wondered about the logic behind EU rules and MOT tests. The glaring one being pedestrian safety whereby you can’t have a slab fronted car but you can have one of these:

Click image to enlarge

Also, at what point does the pedestrian stepping into a road/in front of a moving car take responsibility for his/her own actions, rather than apportioning the blame to the bonnet they are unable to roll up and off because of their stupidity or inattention. Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #911982 12th Jul 2021 8:25am
Supacat

lohr500 wrote:
Pure speculation but I suspect the front and rear lockers will only operate in low range and will probably disengage when shifted back to high range. They may even disengage above a set speed in low range.

I really can't reconcile that with everything I've read about this project and making this vehicle simple, easy to use, and minimising electronics... but then a screen showing torque % at the wheels takes some explaining.

Maybe there's a clue in whether the diff lock switches are latching or not?

There's loads of questions that appear to have all gone unasked by those journalists attending the interior reveal (or at least the English speaking ones) ; either that or Ineos are keeping information back to release over the next 12 months to bump them back into the media spotlight.
Post #911987 12th Jul 2021 9:11am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Grenadier wrote:
Rashers, I’ve often wondered about the logic behind EU rules and MOT tests. The glaring one being pedestrian safety whereby you can’t have a slab fronted car but you can have one of these:

(image snipped to prevent unnecessary reproduction)

Also, at what point does the pedestrian stepping into a road/in front of a moving car take responsibility for his/her own actions, rather than apportioning the blame to the bonnet they are unable to roll up and off because of their stupidity or inattention.

There is very little logic, and seeking logic is the route to madness!

I suspect that the reason is that far more pedestrians are struck by cars than lorries (various reasons including far more cars on the road, lower general standard of driving, and less visible to peds).

We legislate nowadays as far as possible to ensure that nobody is liable for being stupid, so almost all accidents are someone's fault. Motorists drive cars and are therefore evil, so any incident involving a car is the driver's fault until proven otherwise.

Besides, irrespective of whose fault is it, if a pedestrian is hit by a car the outcome for the pedestrian (though not, perhaps, evolution and the overall well-being and quality of the gene pool) is better if the car is more pedestrian-friendly than a winch-equipped classic Defender.
Post #911992 12th Jul 2021 9:44am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Grenadier wrote:

Also, at what point does the pedestrian stepping into a road/in front of a moving car take responsibility for his/her own actions, rather than apportioning the blame to the bonnet they are unable to roll up and off because of their stupidity or inattention.

In the road safety world it is becoming custom and practise to adopt a hierarchy of road users approach, with the most vulnerable (pedestrians) at one end of the scale and least vulnerable (HGVs) at the other and then apportioning more reposnsibility to the less vulnerable. There is some movement to essentially always put the responsibility for a collision onto the least vulnerable user regardless of what actually happened in the collision. The first signs of that coming to into law were the recent moves to automatically make motorists at fault in collisions with more vulnerable users. I’m not sure where this is currently up to without trawling gov.uk 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #911998 12th Jul 2021 9:59am
Setok

Finland 
Grenadier wrote:

And in terms of the vehicle being used by employees, there’s two trains of thought. First, a switch is a switch, easily understood and used, supported by the functional layout and the easy access for repairs. The second train of thought is that this car is being launched in an era when almost all cars have over complicated electrics and touchscreens, as do our phones, tablets etc. There are still some of us older types around who might dislike and struggle with these interfaces, but the younger age of ‘new employees’ likely to use this in coming years means they will understand it intuitively. Just look at the number of five year olds who can work a tablet or smartphone better than their parents. Even having said that, it’s far far less interface driven than the new Defender and most other modern cars. Mrs Grenadier’s Audi’s MMI being a (nightmare) case in point.

The problem is that while touchscreens are good for offering a wide range of possible functions, and software configurability, they're actually a nightmare to use in a car while driving. Doubly so if you are offroading through bumpy terrain. Car manufacturers aren't putting touchscreens because they represent good usability — they don't — but for cost and software reasons. I say that as someone who has a Tesla Model 3 as a daily driver and who is more than comfortable using touchscreens on phones: even after months of use, using the touch screen is often downright dangerous.

Give me buttons at least for the essential stuff, please. Actually the VW e-Up has the best approach: a phone is used as the touchscreen (so easy to upgrade and all the apps available), but physical buttons on the dashboard link to functions on the phone in their app. I wish that concept was taken further as it's actually quite brilliant.
Post #912038 12th Jul 2021 1:53pm
Supacat

A closer look at that gear stick in one of the earlier prototypes:

Click image to enlarge

And from the same place, a few of the underneath:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Taken from here:
Post #912449 15th Jul 2021 5:59am
Post Reply  Back to top