↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Charlie Donut's most excellent adventures
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
CharlieDonuts

France 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Galway Green
Mo Murphy if you saw what I wrote before I deleted it. I'm sorry. 90% of the time I am the very epitome of the perfect English Gentleman but when someone sets me off I revert back to mouth of the south pre gentrification Londoner. If you didn't see what I wrote it was well tongue in cheek so don't worry about it. Anyway lets put the kettle on and ave a bubble at some cockneys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQJrBSXSs6o

As to the rest of you made me all weepy you're so lovely. So listen up last night I went out in the pouring rain. Drove down to the local trout stream and I took some pictures of the Landie. I am just about to leave on holiday (TGV) and when I get down there I'll post the photos and do a walk around. The reason being that we all have our own personal take on how we like our Land Rovers and I want to explain my take and my way of thinking. Now there is a song about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUUhDoCx8zc

Also I rang a fishing buddy of mine just South of Poitiers. He just bought a Maggiolina roof tent and he says he has a swag tent in his garage. Oh la chance ! So I am going to pick that up. Ave another cup of tea and a jaffa cake and then I am going to the local campsite to see how we get on.

In real life i'm bold as brass but social media and I pull the face the social media face

So thank you all very much, Mo included, for a very kind and warm welcome

Watch this space

Charlie Donuts
Post #908978 22nd Jun 2021 6:12pm
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello Charlie Donuts

I'm in for the ride, bonne chance on your adventures... Thumbs Up

It's only a real adventure when things don't go to plan so go with the flow.

Anyone can camp poorly, a few well chosen products, will keep the spirits high,
research then buy well once, take it slowly, being out there you will see what works
and who is getting it right with the least.

Best advice is to know yourself (and partner) if your more suited to room service
but like the idea of getting in touch with less, get the home comforts in place so you
don't fall at the first setback.

Get... get me home or to the nearest garage insurance if as you say your learning
how to 'love' your land rover.

Your stock BC (Before Covid) Defender + a few extras will introduce you to life AC (after Covid)

Good Luck SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #908987 22nd Jun 2021 7:19pm
boxoftricks

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
My only words of wisdom to add to the thread is to give some thought to getting some shade and/or coverage if it rains. The Howling Moon style awnings are fantastic.
Post #909045 23rd Jun 2021 9:00am
MichaelE

England 
Whatever camping accommodation road you decide to go down, you may well decide at some time on a change. Not because you've made a poor decision or choice, but because you don't really know what's best for you and experience teaches you this. So, providing you don't waste stupid amounts of money that you cannot afford, don't worry about not getting it right for a while.

I've been doing some camping trips over the past 4 years, but only the Land Rover weekend events at Peterborough, Billing and Gaydon. I'll eventually get round to doing the plain camping sites around the country and a round Britain coastal tour.

My first attempt was in my 110 2 door [or 3 inc back]. I got a Caranax. Slept in the back of the 110 and used the Caranax for cooking and storage. Mistake No.1. I didn't try putting it up before first using it. Arriving at Peterborough early evening and trying to read the stupidly small instructions print in failing light which were even stupider to understand, I almost threw it in to a skip and go off in search of a hotel. Two guys next to me saw me struggling to lift it and secure it over the 110 body and came to help. I wouldn't have done it without them. Then I had to work out from a multitude of poles which ones I needed, which turned out to be just a few, with lots surplus. It took me an hour and a half. Instructions said 20 mins. For the second trip I'd got the required poles separated and identified with coloured tape, and a clothes prop to lift the tent over the body by myself. Then it was down to about 30 mins to erect.

After using it 4 or 5 times I decided that it was all a bit too cramped and wanted more space. I tried a proper tent. It's a big 6 person inflatable tube type. Spacious, and really good. But it takes too long to put up and pack away if I'm on my own. Which I am for Land Rover weekends. It's ok if you have help, and are staying in one place for more than a couple of nights. But certainly not one night stops. I have a friend who uses it 2 or 3 times a year for about 4 nights a time and loves it. For me, it's last outing is going to be Peterborough weekend in September, because I'm looking at a roof tent for next year. I missed out on this weekend's Billing - camping slots all sold out before I could book one, so I've got a nearby hotel for 2 nights.

I can live with the smaller accommodation of a roof tent, with an annex, as a trade off for faster setting up. Do not underestimate the value of quick setting up and packing away in late night arrival and rain situations. It is now probably the single most important aspect in my choice of accommodation.

For many months now my choice of tent, when the time to purchase arrives, was going to be a Howling Moon Stargazer, with annex. Having the ladder underneath is a plus point for me. But in recent days my decision has been wavering and I'm thinking about an iKamper. Hugely expensive but quick to erect. And you can attach an annex, otherwise I wouldn't be thinking about one. If it's late or pouring down, you can open it and be inside within a couple of minutes at most. No final decision yet, and I shall continue to look, and still keep the Howling Moon in mind.

Whatever you decide, it won't be your final choice and it will evolve.
Post #909064 23rd Jun 2021 10:35am
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
Good call on shade by boxoftricks on shade, though it can be more cheaply provided with a £20 sunsail and a cheap set of telescopic poles from ebay. I hang one off the side and back of mine to provide rain cover and shade.

Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #909088 23rd Jun 2021 1:14pm
Matt110

United Kingdom 
Agree with this - we do the same. The poles seem to vary in quality, but it works well as long as it's not super windy.
Post #909091 23rd Jun 2021 1:17pm
L110CDL

England 
Welcome Charlie donut's and a great intro Very Happy

This thread has made me miss camping, i do love camping Very Happy this was my first set up when i did the charity LE - JOG

Click image to enlarge

the only thing that i changed was the tent as i wanted to stand up and have more shelter, so i got a Freelander tent, perfect for me and with a porch that i can shelter from the weather if it turns bad, do all the cooking in and have two chairs and a table up Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #909202 23rd Jun 2021 9:54pm
CharlieDonuts

Click image to enlarge

So this is me `Charlie DoNuts` in the South of France - This place, if you have a mind to stay here, will cost you a pretty penny, if you want to join the waiting list mind. Lardeebloodeeda Charlie DoNuts - I pretty much have a key to the place. Apart from the occasional romantic weekend to throughly spoil and pamper the love of my life I’ve not paid for a holiday in twenty years. Which is why the camping so much appeals to me.

My best advice Gentleman is be kind to everyone you meet. Be generous of spirit, opened minded and kind of heart. Treat your family, colleagues, friends with kindness, love and respect, listen to their needs, support them when they need support, help them any which way you can whether they ask for it or not, do kind deeds without getting caught. Do that and stuff like this will fall into your lap. If you do have a bad day, we all have bad days, man up, apologise, don’t be too hard on yourself and move on. But of course those lovely generous kind people up North say it much much better than I.

https://youtu.be/GnFOqz41Lcw

So now to business. These are my take-aways so for

Start basic and get out there give it a go - Matt

Don’t go overboard - Darren/Mo

Start local, camp near to a town, be comfortable - The Grenadier

Test your gear - DSC-off / MichaelE (See Grenadier Camp Local)

Be organised, pack well, secure it down - Darren

Shade and/or coverage if it rains - boxoftricks

Wild Camp if you have a mind to - L110CDL - (I have a mind to)

Get yourself top tier recovery insurance - X4SKP

Its not about the kit, its about the journey, having adventures and making memories - Wyvern

Be kind, be modest, be like Peter - Peter (lovely Peter)

So thank you, Gentlemen I think we have made and excellent start

https://youtu.be/wBNJ0BH3Dgs

God Bless

Charlie Donuts

ps what is a Caranax ?
Post #909534 26th Jun 2021 12:30pm
CharlieDonuts

So this is my LandRover - 2008 Puma 2.4 TDCI

Click image to enlarge

It has a Stage 1 chip from ALIVE

Transfer case, both differentials, half shafts, CV joints are from ASHCROFT.

Otherwise its pretty much stock.

Wheels, show room seconds, half price from Khan

Click image to enlarge

Local paint shop cleaned up the bi-metallic corrosion and painted the roof matt black.

Bowler recovery points forward, safari equipment 2inch hitch aft. I have a farm jack, recovery straps and maxtrax which I carry inside the cab just in case I really get stuck. I tend not to push my luck.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Storage by Mobile Storage Systems and a homemade shelf 12 cm below the roof with a Mud net.

Click image to enlarge

Double Mud boxes to properly clear the gear shifter with FOCAL speakers and sub - the oak plinth kills vibration and gives me a map reading table

The front seat - thats just a bit of rain

So thats the Land Rover

God Bless - Charlie Donuts
Post #912397 14th Jul 2021 7:08pm
X4SKP

CharlieDonuts wrote:
My best advice Gentleman.....

Philosophy too Exclamation ... this thread is shaping up well... Thumbs Up SKIP
Post #912404 14th Jul 2021 7:56pm
kmac

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Like the oak plinth. Could also use it as a cheese board.
Post #912419 14th Jul 2021 9:06pm
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
I was going to say, love the cheese board !
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #912441 15th Jul 2021 12:36am
MichaelE

England 
Sorry. Didn't see you PS at the end of your earlier post asking what is a Caranax. It's a type of tent which attaches to and wraps round the back of a vehicle like a Defender and similar, which gives you access to the rear door.
Post #912549 15th Jul 2021 6:34pm
CharlieDonuts

Click image to enlarge

First Camp

Campsite 8/10

The good, beautiful beautiful trees the bad the mossies

https://camping-de-chartres.com/

The set up - begged, borrowed , what was lying around or very very cheap

ARB one man SWAG

Click image to enlarge

https://www.arb.com.au/tents-swags-awnings/single-double-swags/

Easy to set up, great falling asleep with the wind in the trees with the roof open and and the mossie net closed, bit too close to the ground if it rains. I swopped out the mattress for one of these.

Click image to enlarge

https://www.exped.com/italy/en/product-cat...w-ruby-red

Super comfy but be aware that this is a piece of expensive useless junk

Click image to enlarge

My wheezy Aunt Nora could do a better job.

Also in the junk category, Ryaco inflatable pillow, designed to be uncomfortable apparently, only suitable for teenagers and tough soldier types - don't buy if you are "Margo"

Click image to enlarge

Generic tarp and poles, frankly I can't see me spending very long sitting here in the rain, When I was putting it up I was thinking.....hmmmmm, awnings

And again in the useless junk category SELK BAG

Click image to enlarge

You can't put it on inside the tent and then when you have finally got the stupid thing on its too hot and you immediately take it off again - and that was the summer bag. Not even any use as emergency cold weather gear - too bulky.

Next time I'll take my Pendleton blanket

Food

Beer, bread and cheese

Mossies

Click image to enlarge

Relatively cheap to buy, eye watering expensive for the refills, it only operates vertically. You strap it to your belt, put your jacket on for the mossies, then the device is under your jacket, so you take your belt off and strap it over you jacket, then your jeans fall down and he mossies bite you in the space between half cast jeans and jacket. Big Cry

Gentlemen, if I am going to camp for more than one night I need a mossie solution? Any ideas, that work ?

ta ta for now, Charlie Donuts
Post #912902 18th Jul 2021 11:48am
X4SKP

Hello CharlieDonuts

CharlieDonuts wrote:
Gentlemen, if I am going to camp for more than one night I need a mossie solution? Any ideas, that work ?

Click image to enlarge

'Sorry couldn't resist.... Cool '

To mitigate (not win) against the Mossies you need a good quality Mossie fabric in all your Kit, what you live in and potentially what you wear, so Tent and Clothes. Then add in a ritual of use that works.

After university, I cycled the length of Italy and the day I spent in Ellis Brigham in London talking through what works and what doesn't with people that had actually done it was invaluable.

I bought a double entrance North Face Dome Tent that allowed you to at least zone and separate direct entrance into the main area, the logic being that it will be easier to dispatch a Mossie in a small face.

Camping (in the above Eriba) in Scotland in 2019 when the Mossies arrive you need to retreat. Often the Mossies move on quickly but watching walkers on the West Highland Way arrived in full Mossie suites Hats with draw string Mossie nets, lightweight full length clothing including gloves. When its bad this is what many resort too.

Other in 'general observations' apply, although I'm sure there are exceptions,
High Ground better than Low
Coastal better than Inland
Moving water better than Still... (No Water best)

I'm not one to tough it out.... so maybe just move on Thumbs Up

Good Luck CD SKIP
Post #913017 19th Jul 2021 9:30am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>