Home > Faults & Fixes (L663) > Defender 90 external trim issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Vern

United Kingdom 
Defender 90 external trim issues
Hi

Not sure I’d this has been raised before but last week I noticed the large plastic on the bottom of the drivers door had started to part from the door at the top of the trim also the plastic arch trim over the rear drivers wheel has also started to bow out in the middle. The car is in today for a recall and so I asked them to take a look and we looked at 2 other brand new 90s and they are both the same including one with the shiny x trim .. ours is an S.. so they are going to flag with LR and see what can be done. Just wondered if anyone else had a similar issue?

I’ll take pics tonight when it’s back.
Post #907933 15th Jun 2021 1:11pm
Digger2000

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Other HT Tonga Green
Can you post some photos? I think I have the same problem, mine is in at the service department today for some recall and warranty faults I did ask them to see if there is any clips missing as the other side trim is perfectly flat against the bodywork.
Post #907934 15th Jun 2021 1:17pm
J77

Scotland 
Can’t say I’ve noticed any issues with mine but I’ll have a closer look. 23.5MY 90 D250 X-Dynamic SE, Pangea Green
Gone - 23MY 110 D250 XS Edition, Hakuba Silver
Gone - 21MY 90 D200 S, Tasman Blue, Fuji White roof.
Post #907935 15th Jun 2021 1:18pm
Simon Audi

United Kingdom 
My extended wheel arches came away for about 4" long and had a 3/8" gap - when the sun shone...
Post #907937 15th Jun 2021 1:22pm
Vern

United Kingdom 
Digger2000 wrote:
Can you post some photos? I think I have the same problem, mine is in at the service department today for some recall and warranty faults I did ask them to see if there is any clips missing as the other side trim is perfectly flat against the bodywork.

Hi .. yes of course .. it is odd as passenger side is def not as bad and passable .. driver arch got a right bow in it Mad
Post #907938 15th Jun 2021 1:27pm
Vern

United Kingdom 
Digger2000 wrote:

Hi pics below. They said they have flagged a alert with JL but it will take a few before anything is done. I have said we would try new trim but if the brand new ones in the showroom are the same sort of seems pointless

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #908025 15th Jun 2021 8:07pm
Digger2000

My passenger side bottom trim is similar to yours the right driver side is completely flat. It seems to me like they use some double sided tape as I can hear the noise of it sticking when I press it in towards the body panel. Let’s see what my dealership have done when I collect later on today. The arches I think they are all like that just the profile of the plastic protruding out a little, I’m not bothered about that tbh.
Post #908110 16th Jun 2021 10:07am
Digger2000

Actually sorry just had a closer look at the second photo that is sticking out more than mine it looks warped. I’d get that replaced mines not like that
Post #908111 16th Jun 2021 10:09am
Digger2000

Just had my dealership service department on the phone they are going to replace both right and left side bottom trim. I said the right drivers side is fine but they said better to change both. I’m happy with that result. Dealership is Stratstone group
Post #908122 16th Jun 2021 10:50am
J77

Scotland 
Mines the same though not at a stage where I’d take it to the dealers and let them make it worse. 23.5MY 90 D250 X-Dynamic SE, Pangea Green
Gone - 23MY 110 D250 XS Edition, Hakuba Silver
Gone - 21MY 90 D200 S, Tasman Blue, Fuji White roof.
Post #908465 18th Jun 2021 6:15pm
Digger2000

I just got my side trims replaced, the service department have done a brilliant job all flush to the bodywork now and done under warranty. I recommend anyone that has this issue to get them replaced as if you’re going off road those section are going to trap mud and debris inside.

I now have for the first time since ownership a fully functional defender with no problems Very Happy happy man
Post #912700 16th Jul 2021 3:45pm
Al_Ra

England 
Noticed this yesterday too on my 110 (only picked it up last week) - I've got plastic trim buckling/coming away from body on both the dealer fitted wheel arch protectors and the factory fitted lower plastic panels.

Guessing the heat isn't helping (expansion plus adhesive softening).

Gonna give it a few days and then probably back to the dealer.
Post #913195 20th Jul 2021 9:10am
SN

I'm wondering if this is just a function of different expansion rates in the heat of the black plastic (a bit) versus the metal (next-to-nothing) - I've noticed one of my extended wheelarches is showing minor signs of this - given that the outer edge of them is just 'stuck on' with tape this is going to be the norm surely? Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)
Post #913197 20th Jul 2021 9:23am
Tim in Scotland

The cars were tested in places that are much much warmer than our 30C in the UK summers, so how come this didn’t happen during road testing in Death Valley or Namibia with the pre-production cars? Or were the test drivers having such a good jolly that they never noticed……… or reported it. In many parts of the world that I’ve visited a 30C strong sunlight day is considered a cold day! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #913201 20th Jul 2021 11:00am
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
It probably did happen and the testers ignored it. 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #913334 21st Jul 2021 6:16am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>