↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Faults & Fixes (L663) > Emergency Lane Assist intervenes when Lane Assist is off
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
abpod

United States 
Emergency Lane Assist intervenes when Lane Assist is off
I've been experiencing the red hash line assist warning several times since the last two updates. In my instances, the Lane Assist function is off per my steering wheel button and corresponding non-illuminated icon in the instrument cluster.

It has done it on freeways and regular roadways with no apparent intelligence indicating why it would suddenly intrude. And it's been both ways: left-to-right and right-to-left. '21 L663 X-Dyn HSE P400 Carpathian
'13 L319
'03 L322
Post #917769 19th Aug 2021 3:35pm
J77

Scotland 
Emergency lane assist is always on unless switched off via the Pivi screen, and then it’s only one ignition cycle. My one does it on narrow country roads because there’s no white lines for it to read. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #917789 19th Aug 2021 5:04pm
Dazrob

United Kingdom 
The menu needs changing to allow you to permanently turn this feature off, it is dangerous. It doesn’t work correctly it has steered me into some over grown hedges on a country lane. This is one of the reasons why I decided to reject my 110.
Post #917903 20th Aug 2021 7:35am
Tim in Scotland

I’ve had loads of unwanted interventions from LKA, on three occasions trying to steer me into the path of large oncoming tractors on narrow back roads with insufficient width for a big car and a large tractor to pass. It’s supposed to be a “smart” system but it’s way too “dim” if it isn’t able to tell the difference between a country lane and a motorway. I’m sure that it could be linked to the satnav database so that it doesn’t intervene unless it’s on a dual-carriageway or motorway. Only reason it’s there is to get an extra Euro N-Cap star and to ease the way to autonomous driving, it has a long way to go before it’s safe to use all the time.

BTW it’s not just L663 Def that has problems with it - I know owners of Evoques, Discovery Sports, BMWs, Audis and Kias that find it it is way too sensitive and cannot be completely switched off. Maybe more of a issue at Bosch or who ever produces it than with JLR. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #917915 20th Aug 2021 9:30am
Dazrob

United Kingdom 
My wife’s X5 has this feature but you can permanently disable it. I did not like the way the X5 applies the intervention, it is a lot more severe than the Defender. I have wondered if the Defenders cameras are to blame. My Defender misreads speed limit signs when using the speed limiter I was in a 50mph zone and it read a 50mph sign as 30mph!
Post #917927 20th Aug 2021 10:20am
Tom_T

United Kingdom 
I absolutely hate this feature it has clearly been calibrated in urban environments and is utterly useless in the countryside. On multiple occasions each day when driving down country lanes the LKA tries to pull me one way or another. Narrow lanes mean you have to get right to the edge to let others pass, especially large vehicles like tractors but nooooo, the LKA decides that it’s better to pull you back into the path of the oncoming vehicle 🤦‍♂️. The emergency braking isn’t much better, far to intrusive. I’d like to be able to permanently turn them all off and just be solely responsible for the actions of the vehicle which I’m operating.
Post #918057 20th Aug 2021 8:53pm
J77

Scotland 
Can’t say I’ve ever had the emergency braking come on. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #918059 20th Aug 2021 9:36pm
Tim in Scotland

All worked fine when LR tested it in the Namibian Desert……….. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #918061 20th Aug 2021 10:11pm
Kingfisher24

England 
It is exactly the same with mine. It is almost dangerous as it tries to correct for the oddities in the road surface in small lanes in particular. I went off the edge of the road a couple of weeks ago and I am sure it was not my doing. It seems to pick up the lines and bumps in the tarmac and assumes it is the edge of the lane. And in both directions! It will also warn of collisions on empty roads and going round corners. Fantastic looking car but … .
Post #918250 22nd Aug 2021 10:23pm
Dazrob

United Kingdom 
Yesterday I was overtaking a cyclist, I gave the cyclist 2m of space between us. As I went around the cyclist the forward collision system engaged! The software and systems designed to stop accidents happening are actually dangerous and will cause an accident. You can’t use the speed limiter with the speed sign system as it misreads signs and slows the car down aggressively and as others have pointed out the steering intervention is not fit for purpose. I count myself lucky that they accepted my rejection and I’ve only got a few weeks until my Audi arrives.
Post #918265 23rd Aug 2021 6:57am
Gareth

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
I have to say, I’ve not had any what I would call dangerous interventions. I don’t switch the LKA on until I’m on a larger road or motorway. There is no need to have it switched on in an urban environment. Yes it does sometime kick the steering wheel when the surface is a bit random, and also the very poor condition of some of our road markings can have an effect, but never had a problem. I’ve had a couple of “Take Control” warnings in poor weather with spray.

I’ve never tested the anti collision system, and don’t particularly want to!

As Dazrob says, the limiter is not safe. Around our way the council puts 20mph signs at the end of adjacent roads, at 90 degrees to the main road I’m on, and the limiter does pick it up and slow the vehicle abruptly. I don’t use that system because of that. It’s not just Land Rover though. It’s all sorts of manufacturers. What is needed is a standard for road sign positioning, and the council sticking to it. 2021 Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE D300 MHEV
1966 S2a 109 aka Betsy
1968 S2a 88 aka Bob
2014 Jaaaag F Type 3.0 Supercharged.
Post #918268 23rd Aug 2021 7:12am
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
so you think that Bosch or whoever should be able to design a crap system and the rest of us pick up the bill for moving road signage around?? to stop false alerts??

maybe they (like Tesla) should stop using Joe Public as crash test dummies.........
Post #918276 23rd Aug 2021 9:04am
Dazrob

United Kingdom 
We have an X5 with all these systems on and they work! I have said before that I don’t like steering intervention so just turned it off on the X5 and it stays off. I use the speed limiter with speed sign recognition and it has never misread a speed limit sign or a sign in a side street. LR have not got this working correctly on their vehicles.
Post #918279 23rd Aug 2021 9:17am
Leamreject

Italy 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Fuji White
If you want a car that hates your driving style, get a new Mercedes…. The gearbox has to think for two seconds before it reacts and the electronic driver aids ( that’s a laugh!!) want to kill you.

I completely understand that some drivers need this because they are not confident, but we need to be raising the driving standard of everyone, not control everybody to match the worst drivers on our roads…..

Sorry..,, will get off my soap box Whistle Ride like you stole it!!
If I’m not on a bike it’s because only a 4x4 will do…
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #918281 23rd Aug 2021 9:23am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tim in Scotland

I had some “fun” experimenting with it this weekend driving from Central Scotland down to Southern Lake District and back. On the M74 and M6 LKA never intervened once despite me deliberately allowing the car to wander across lanes on quieter sections of motorway, as soon as I started driving on normal single carriageway roads it was intervening frequently trying to pull the wheel to the right into the centre of the road despite the switch on the steering wheel being in the off setting and the PiviPro also set to off………..
To me the time that it should be fully operational is on a long motorway haul when your concentration might start to wane, not on country roads when you tend to be wide awake all the time. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #918282 23rd Aug 2021 9:33am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>