↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Faults & Fixes (L663) > Interior lights continuously on
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Tom_T

United Kingdom 
Interior lights continuously on
My interior lights seem to stay on at full brightness when the exterior lights are switched on. The interior lights are set to auto mode (I get the notification on the display confirming) but they do not dim down at all when driving. It’s pretty distracting to be honest.

Is this normal or do I possibly have a fault?

I have stealth mode activated and they do dim down when I switch the screen off, so I know that they are capable of dimming. They just don’t dim of their own accord.

Any thoughts?
Post #906210 2nd Jun 2021 9:05pm
rutiger

United States 
you're adjusting the light level with the knob yes? #8 here https://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/docume...c/G2401208
Post #906241 3rd Jun 2021 1:27am
Tom_T

United Kingdom 
Yep I can manually dim them down using the switch below the steering wheel. I just thought that the lights in the boot would switch off whilst driving and all the others would automatically dim?
Post #906244 3rd Jun 2021 5:09am
Simon Audi

United Kingdom 
They should turn off after a time yes
Post #906245 3rd Jun 2021 5:14am
Tom_T

United Kingdom 
Okay. Looks like I’ll have to take it in then as they don’t turn off. Even when I get the message “interior lights off” they are still on. Hopefully it’s just user error and I’m being a dullard.
Post #906349 3rd Jun 2021 6:47pm
Tom_T

United Kingdom 
Popped in to see the service manager this morning and show him what was happening with the lights. He agreed that something was definitely not right so it’s booked to go in on the 16th for some investigation. Annoyingly they aren’t issuing any courtesy cars due to COVID so hopefully it’s just in for the day as any longer will be a real problem for me.

Will post an update once the car has been in.
Post #906449 4th Jun 2021 12:39pm
Simon Audi

United Kingdom 
Let your battery go flat - call our LR assist and you should get a courtesy car
Post #906453 4th Jun 2021 12:55pm
J77

Scotland 
No loan cars because of covid, rubbish!

If they can’t give you loan car because of covid then I assume if one were to ask for a test drive that would also be off limits? 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #906476 4th Jun 2021 5:16pm
Tim in Scotland

The interior lights up by the mirror may have been touched accidentally when adjusting the RVM - they have proximity sensitive coatings so just put your finger or hand near them when you have closed the door and they will go out. Touching the light fitting smoked surface will set them to stay on automatically, there is one tiny tiny down lighter that in previous modern Land Rovers and RR’s is called waterfall lighting, that one stays on when the engine is running but as you hardly see it even on the darkest night you cannot switch that one off.
The variable adjuster down by the parking brake doesn’t seem to do much on my car Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #906483 4th Jun 2021 6:16pm
Tom_T

United Kingdom 
J77 wrote:
No loan cars because of covid, rubbish!

If they can’t give you loan car because of covid then I assume if one were to ask for a test drive that would also be off limits?

It is a load of rubbish but I think they are just avoiding giving out cars for a day. I have a feeling that if there was a major problem and they needed the car across a number of days then they would loan me a vehicle. For one day I can live with dropping it off. Let’s see how things go.
Post #906503 4th Jun 2021 8:54pm
Tom_T

United Kingdom 
Tim in Scotland wrote:
The interior lights up by the mirror may have been touched accidentally when adjusting the RVM - they have proximity sensitive coatings so just put your finger or hand near them when you have closed the door and they will go out. Touching the light fitting smoked surface will set them to stay on automatically, there is one tiny tiny down lighter that in previous modern Land Rovers and RR’s is called waterfall lighting, that one stays on when the engine is running but as you hardly see it even on the darkest night you cannot switch that one off.
The variable adjuster down by the parking brake doesn’t seem to do much on my car

It seems to be something to do with the programming. It’s tricky to explain but when the main dipped beam lights are off I can touch the dome light and it will come on, and then turn off again when I touch it. When the main dipped beams are on, the dome light (and all other interior lights) stay on permanently and it makes no difference if you tap the light they just do not turn off.

Simon from powerful uk posted a video a while back showcasing the interior lights and you can see from his video that his main dipped beams are on, yet he is able to toggle the interior lights on and off by tapping the central dome light. So I know that there is a fault with mine as mine don’t function in the same way.

The waterfall light is also always on but like you say this is supposed to stay on. My old Range Rover had this as well.
Post #906504 4th Jun 2021 8:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1