Home > Puma (Tdci) > Failure to start in extreme cold
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Puma90man

South Africa 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 Fire LE Vesuvius Orange
Failure to start in extreme cold
Fellow Defenders

I have been up the mountains in the snow for the first time with my 90 Puma and had problems every morning trying to get the vehicle started. Although it can somehow be expected I still think SA's cold is not the same as what some of you must be using your vehicles in up north. I would expect it was only -4 C, not colder.

The vehicle would start first time but cut out after 2min or so. I suspected that there was water in the seperator and ended up throwing hot water on the diesel filter every morning which seems to have helped. But draining the filter afterwords proved that there was no water in the seperator\filter and now I need to know if it is "normal" for this to happen at high altitudes in very cold weather?

My previous TDi and TD5 Defenders did not have this problem in similar conditions

Rolling Eyes
Post #85452 21st Aug 2011 11:39am
pom

mine started no issues in -15 last winter. Maybe there is some treatment added to our diesel at the refinery though to stop it gelling though.

Maybe you need to add something to yours ?

Pom
Post #85458 21st Aug 2011 12:56pm
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
It is not normal at all. Mine has been at -17ºC and no issues. Maybe there is a prob in the lifting pump? Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #85472 21st Aug 2011 3:09pm
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
I had mine start in the -20 C range, remember that diesel starts to turn I to a more gel like substance before freezing at around the -9 C.
be warned if you start the engine in temperatures below -9 C leave them running for a while or you'll just fill your fuel filter with congealed diesel and you'll then need to replace it Whistle Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #85478 21st Aug 2011 4:07pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Zinke

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Untreated diesel will start to gel at -4, and as your in SA then i guess they dont sell winter fuel there. Try adding some 2-stroke oil at a ratio of 300:1 and this should help a little.

Pete.
Post #85540 22nd Aug 2011 8:21am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dgardel

Italy 
Re: Failure to start in extreme cold
Puma90man wrote:
Fellow Defenders

I have been up the mountains in the snow for the first time with my 90 Puma and had problems every morning trying to get the vehicle started. Although it can somehow be expected I still think SA's cold is not the same as what some of you must be using your vehicles in up north. I would expect it was only -4 C, not colder.

The vehicle would start first time but cut out after 2min or so. I suspected that there was water in the seperator and ended up throwing hot water on the diesel filter every morning which seems to have helped. But draining the filter afterwords proved that there was no water in the seperator\filter and now I need to know if it is "normal" for this to happen at high altitudes in very cold weather?

My previous TDi and TD5 Defenders did not have this problem in similar conditions

Rolling Eyes

It is not related to the engine but to the VERY BAD DIESEL QUALITY....

It is the paraffin (you start the engine,but the paraffin block the filter....) Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #85564 22nd Aug 2011 1:24pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1