↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Stihl Battery Garden Tools
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Bluest wrote:
I can see batteries make sense for home users like me, but the cost of the really big batteries and the run time limitations must make them hard to justify for pro use.

Professional battery tools definitely have a place. i think the Echo top handle chainsaw I mentioned is an improvement over my petrol saws, running time hasn't been an issue so far and you have to fill it with oil anyway. It cuts brilliantly, less vibration, very quiet so no need for ear protection, no pull cord etc. The only issues with going completely electric is some power hungry tools will need battery tech to improve quite a bit, plus sticking with one brand really limits choice. With petrol, I buy the best for the task whether that be Sthil, Husky or Echo. With batteries that would mean different chargers, batteries etc but who knows, soon any professional battery tools may be better than their petrol equivalent. WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #905364 27th May 2021 6:58pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Some of my Milwaukee M18 batteries are now I guess about 7 years old, and I have never had a failure. I have had one charger fail, but not (yet) a battery. Some of my tools (9" angle grinder, 1" and 3/4" impact wrenches, mag drill) are especially power hungry but the batteries seems to stand up astonishingly well to the duty cycles.
Post #905372 27th May 2021 7:24pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
My tools are Bosch 18v bought 6 years ago or so, has lasted well. If I get more in future I would be looking at Milwaukee though to be honest. Their tools are really going places.
They have some pretty neat new kit developing too which I like.

We have a Stihl KM130R combi 2stroke, (now a 131R. since then they have available).
Does everything we want with a LOT of power and zero downtime at all for the biggest jobs, with fuel your good to go and go. User fatigue is the limiting factor as to when to stop.
Best machine I’ve used, but probably more than what most would require.

I would say depends on the use and size of job, a small job a battery or two will probably cut it or even mains power but for mid large to large jobs fuel.

I use George Carr Power Products online, official Stihl dealer. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #905389 27th May 2021 8:55pm
MR_JAMES

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I work in a garden centre and sell this stihl range all day. Its not bad considering its all made in china, we don't get many come back under warranty. Something to remember is that the batteries will not work below 5 degrees - so in winter keep them warm indoors before use. Beware its not really repairable when it goes wrong, you throw it and buy a new one. We had a long reach hedge cutter come in for repair but even with diagostic equipment telling us to replace multiple components it did not work properly, Where as with a petrol machine you can have it repaired. But then you save money as you can't service battery powered machines. 1953 80"
1987 mini city e
2011 90"
Post #905397 27th May 2021 9:46pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
In the end got the M18 Milwaukee QuikLok power head with brush cutter, 5ah battery and charger kit. With their Redemption deal offering the long reach hedge trimmer for free it was too good a deal to pass up. Additionally I bought another 5ah battery and the long pole chainsaw thing as well.

All three attachments work well and battery life is good. One 5ah battery is just about sufficient for my garden either strimming or hedge trimming, but it’s good to have the 2nd as a back up and to cycle them round. The trick with it is to use the lower of the 2 speed settings unless the extra power is needed. The lower speed I reckon has more than double the run time of high speed and is sufficient for most things. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #907063 9th Jun 2021 4:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123