↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > INEOS Grenadier > Delayed production start
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Delayed production start
Launch now apparently pushed back to July 2022.

Looking for more details...

"LONDON, May 12 (Reuters) - Production of Ineos’ first car, the off-roader Grenadier, will be pushed back to July 2022 to make sure rigorous testing targets are met following delays last year, the company said on Wednesday.

Billionaire Jim Ratcliffe’s firm announced in December it would manufacture the model in Hambach, France, from late 2021 after a deal to take over a site run by Daimler, ditching plans to build a factory in Wales.

On Wednesday it said more than 130 second-phase prototypes will be tested in extreme environments around the world.

“We only have one opportunity to get this right and our quality and performance targets for the Grenadier remain paramount,” said CEO of Ineos Automotive Dirk Heilmann.

“We won’t cut corners.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/ineos-car-idUSL8N2MZ3OA
Post #902661 12th May 2021 12:43pm
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
Kind of ironic, given that the design is so dated. By the time it comes out, it will have a facelift Rolling Eyes Now left.
Post #902845 13th May 2021 1:11pm
Supacat

Timeless is the word you were missing...does really good engineering led design have anything to learn from fashion led design?

You should look to see where the model year updates came from and the reasons they were introduced...
Post #902847 13th May 2021 1:26pm
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
Let's see if you think it's timeless in 10 years. 'Style' is a very subjective thing, and I know the Grenadier is marmite, but to me, it's butt ugly and belongs in 1977 (which is where the Matra Simca Rancho flowered). I was astonished that Ineos came out with this (and Matra Simca should sue).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matra_Rancho

There are only four timeless cars in my opinion; the Porsche 911, the 2-door Range Rover, the original Defender, and the classic Mini. Now left.
Post #902866 13th May 2021 4:20pm
Supacat

You seem more concerned with defining design as form and style, both of which tend to fall into and out of fashion and so fail the timeless test.

JLR products under the design of Mr McG unashamedly start with form and style and move to function later. They are not trying for the timeless design, as they have made the product with a built in visual obsolescence and this is the business model that goes with PCPs and churning over your acquisition every 3 to 5 years for the latest version.

The new Defender even has had half year updates.

Where form follows function there is an opportunity for the design to become timeless. The Grenadier may or may not become timeless but they have at least started from the right place.

Saying it looks dated now just means you are judging it by, what to me, are the wrong criteria.

In terms of your timeless cars, I wonder if a model losses the moniker if it goes out of production?
Post #902884 13th May 2021 5:24pm
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
Am I to believe that you feel design is purely functional? With many items, that is indeed the criteria. However, it is most certainly not with motor vehicles, otherwise they would have no style at all. Car designers understand that what they create has to have 'style'. With the items I design in my business, I have to add a little style (as they are on show) even though they are purely functional items. I think the Grenadier is incredibly ugly and very dated. I thought it would grow on me, but it's done the reverse. It has to be one of THE most dated designs I have ever seen, and why the Matra Simca Rancho designers (as I said) should sue. The Grenadier is great...for 1977. Now left.
Post #902890 13th May 2021 5:58pm
chopcat

Wales 2000 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Java Black
As they say....beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Not many people like my paintings either

TC
Post #902891 13th May 2021 6:06pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I’m a big fan of the Grenadier, but it’s looks are not it’s strong point. Whilst it not hideous, like Ssang Yong or something, but the detail design is poor, especially the front. I saw the design maybe 12 months before it was made public at a market research event and my response at the time was it looked like a cross between a G Wagon and a late Santander/Iveco Massif. They asked my opinion and I said to them at the time that they need not copy bits of others’ styling and should go there own way, but clearly I was in the minority, as it is practically unchanged from what they showed me. Thankfully an ARB winch bumper should sort out the worst of it. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #902897 13th May 2021 6:58pm
Fabio

Portugal 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I doubt this will ever be a thing.

Fabio
Post #902963 14th May 2021 6:05am
Supacat

What puddle? wrote:
Am I to believe that you feel design is purely functional? ... The Grenadier is great...for 1977.

On the contrary, but styling and then restyling just for the sake of differentiating a product as newer has no place in good design. If materials change or technology moves on then yes.

Stating the Grenadier is great but only for 1977 appears to make your design criteria centred around the concept of time and place and that is the antithesis of timeless and contrary to my concept of good design principles.
Post #902967 14th May 2021 6:46am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Fabio wrote:

Fabio

Curious as to why you think that given all the evidence it is progressing to production? Granted, it’s not going outsell the VW Golf, but I. Sure they’ll sell a few. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #902968 14th May 2021 7:07am
Ryderoo

England 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Santorini Black
In my opinion

The Grenadier is not borne out of form, function or style.

A clever, very wealthy business man saw the gap left in the market after demise of Defender.

The original Defender is a classic shape.

Unfortunately by imitating the Defender design it has fallen very short of the mark.

The smart money says build from a complete new design. Mr Ratcliffe needs it to resemble the old Defender to market his product.

No doubt it will drive well, if it has the BMW engine.

Be interesting to see the RRP in 2022. Cheers Simon

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you

2015 Urban Truck 90 XS Santorini Black Hard Top - Reluctantly gone
2020 Discovery 5 Eiger Grey 3.0 SE
2021 Defender S D250 Santorini Black 110 Hard Top on the drive
Post #902973 14th May 2021 8:19am
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
Simon, I think you are correct. I think that's the way Ineos has seen the project... so they 'design' a utilitarian vehicle, and not care too much (if at all, by the look of it) at the aesthetics of that vehicle. My point is that is 'wrong'. Style plays a major part in car design - whatever car that is, even a utilitarian one. The Unimog is appealing, maybe because it is brutish, and many argue that they love the design of the G Wagon. People love the Jimny, because it's cute. However, I come back to the point that Ineos have made a mistake, that they styled a vehicle for the 2020s and beyond which is some 40 to 50 years out of date in style, and that's why it looks so much like the Matra Simca Rancho. You only have to read other threads here to see that many people feel that way. That is NOT the case with the original Defender. Even people (I want to say women in a sexist way!) like the original boxy Defender design. There is 'something' about it. Ineos was always going to build a utilitarian vehicle, but where they went wrong was believing that it didn't need any style or, as you rightly say, in trying to imitate the design of the original Defender. It DOES need style. Sure, there will be many companies and farmers who will ignore it's 1977 style and won't care. But why miss out on many, many sales because you failed to bring in a stylist? Now left.
Post #902976 14th May 2021 8:37am
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
Supacat, no, you miss my point, mate. I pointed out a view comments ago that some cars are timeless. That can't be engineered and purposefully done, it's an accident. It's something inherent in our brains - that so many people like the classic Mini, for example. Issigoni (I think that's who hit was) said at the time that the Mini design was to include the criteria he had to meet. When I say the Grenadier is great, I mean the idea. The style is not. Now left.
Post #902978 14th May 2021 8:44am
LRSpain004

Spain 
Bluest wrote:
Fabio wrote:

Fabio

Curious as to why you think that given all the evidence it is progressing to production? Granted, it’s not going outsell the VW Golf, but I. Sure they’ll sell a few.

They will sell me one because I believe they will have inherent quality. The problem with the New Defender is that it does not even have reliable quality problems. What I mean by that is its akin to the US fairground game 'whack - a - mole' where you wait for the issues to appear and try and nail it. You know the mole is coming, you just don't know where. If you look at all the QA issues with the Defender they cover a wide range of the car; many people have different issues and this is very hard to deal with. If only LR had a few issues with a few items, then they could address them and the car would then be reliable. Why spend 80,000 euros and have a car that you know will give problems, you just have to wait to see where......
Post #902984 14th May 2021 9:14am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>