↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Webasto heater issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
risulasi

Finland 
Webasto heater issue
Just got my new 110 last week and still enjoying the honeymoon.
I live in Finland and car is equipped with winter pack including Webasto heater with remote control.

Now when I turn on the heater with remote, it only blows air. I assume it is set to cooling (summer) mode.
I don´t know nor can´t find the where the setting can be changed to heat mode.
I contacted the local dealer few days ago, but did not hear anything from them yet.

I was figuring if someone can help me here with my issue.

Thanks
Post #899535 22nd Apr 2021 12:53pm
Tim in Scotland

Try setting the two dials for temperature on the dash to 26 or 27. Are you using the additional fob or the app remote start o start heating? Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #899539 22nd Apr 2021 1:21pm
risulasi

Finland 
Will try that.
I am using the additional fob.
Post #899579 22nd Apr 2021 4:08pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
whats the ambient temp? Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #899597 22nd Apr 2021 6:16pm
risulasi

Finland 
Outdoor temperature has been around 0 celsius.
Post #899681 23rd Apr 2021 8:04am
4B4B

United Kingdom 
Apologies for deviating slightly from the original topic, but is the Webasto heater a standard option on these vehicles?

I'm currently pricing up the general options to place an order shortly for a new 90, but can't see any info on the website about how to add it as an option, or if it's already standard. If anyone could confirm that would be great.
Post #900722 30th Apr 2021 1:30pm
Tim in Scotland

It is in Scandinavia and I believe an engine block heater is available there too.
You can spec a Fuel burner Webasto type in the U.K. but you get a remote start function for the engine that preheats 9not very well) the cabin too. The remote start function is in the inControl App.
In the UK you can spec it from the configurator by clicking Options, Interior Features and it’s a £1080 option I’m not sure if it is available on all models though

Click image to enlarge
 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 30th Apr 2021 8:27pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #900756 30th Apr 2021 4:27pm
Simon Audi

United Kingdom 
Just for clarity

The UK car comes with the Incontrol - that gives you the option to remotely start you car - thus warming it up before you get in it.

If the temp is below 4'C it also activates heated screens.

The Option Tim shows is an extra heater - although someone said their car had it (without paying for it - don't remember who)

So if you live somewhere really cold the Webasto (remote Extra Heater) may be for you.

But 30 minutes prestart - probably costs less in Diesel over 3 years than the option cost....
Post #900759 30th Apr 2021 4:40pm
4B4B

United Kingdom 
Thanks for the really useful replies.

Tim, I can see the option now you’ve pointed out where to look. (Don’t know how I missed it now!) Thanks. Looks like it’s available on all models. And Simon, it’s a good point you make about the remote start as an alternative to shelling out another grand.
Post #900786 30th Apr 2021 8:04pm
Tim in Scotland

One thing - if you are ordering the P400e then there is no need to order the optional fuel powered heater - like most other PHEVs the P400e can be set to heat the cabin either from the dashboard/PiviPro or the app (here is the caveat!) so long as it is plugged into a charger. I made an expensive mistake when ordering my last car which was a Mini Countryman PHEV by speccing the optional heated front screen ........... I NEVER in 2 years used it because the timed cabin heater not only warmed the cabin up 30 minutes before the trip started it defrosted every window in the car and the mirrors and the glass roof!

Edit - you are ordering a 90 which isn’t yet available as a PHEV, but this info may be handy for somebody ordering a 110 P400e Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #900790 30th Apr 2021 8:24pm
4B4B

United Kingdom 
Thanks Tim. Interesting for people to know.
Even if the P400e was an option on the 90, I'd still have to go for a 'dirty' Heavy Oil burner version due to a lot of long runs motorways.
Post #901075 2nd May 2021 4:47pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Simon Audi wrote:

But 30 minutes prestart - probably costs less in Diesel over 3 years than the option cost....

More than likely but avoiding true cold starts by running a fbh to warm the coolant can't be a bad thing. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #901090 2nd May 2021 6:47pm
hezor

Finland 
4B4B, here in Finland, the Webasto comes standard in every Defender. Even in the P400e PHEV, where there is an option to choose to preheat the cabin with the Webasto or using electricity from the mains grid. 22MY Defender 110 P400e SE w/ Off-Road Pack, Driver Assist Pack, Cold Climate Pack, Comfort & Convenience Pack + ClearSight Rear-View Mirror & 11.4" Infotainment Screen
Post #901122 3rd May 2021 4:03am
Julep

Jersey 
While I may have made a stupid costly mistake I am happy to share here. Embarassed

When specing up my 110 there were a few things I really wanted and the remote heating option was one of them. I had it for 10 years in my Disco4 and loved it. The only down side was the speed it drained the battery, so I would often hook up a CTEK to an enteral port I fitted (so pretty much the same issue as Tim had with his Mini requiring external power). It was a pain but worth the luxury of a warmed engine and cabin in the winter.

Now I was completely unaware (or was never informed) of the Remote InControl App Climate control, so was very confused when I was given a Fob at the dealer (exactly the same as as my Disco4 one) and was told I wouldn't need it as I had the Remote InControl Climate option..!?!?

To be honest it was my mistake for not fully understanding the options but in the early days I think we were all a little confused. As for my experience of both these systems (am I the only one foolish enough to have done this?) They are VERY separate. The additional Heat Pack gives you 2 activation options, The Fob and the Timed Climate on the PiviPro. The fob has an incredible range (well the Disco4 did, not really tested the Def one yet) and could start the FBH a good 300-400M away as long as you had line of sight. And the Timed Climate allows you to set start times during the day, this is a lot better than the Disco was as I can now set specific times on specific days.

The Timed Climate system DOES NOT link with the InControl App, so can't active the FBH if you have not either set the Schedule or you are in Fob range. To be honest, I do use both systems. I use the Fob for those Early morning 6:00 starts where I don't want to wake the house and neighborhood with the engine tick over, and I use the InControl App Climate any other time I'm not in Fob distance.

As for OP (sorry risulasi for my ramble) my FBH will only heat the cabin if the external temp is less than 15 Degrees. If the external Temp is above that then the internal blowers vent fresh air in to cool the cabin, just like it did in the Disco4. There is no option that I have found to change that. All I can assume is there is a sensor fault not correctly informing the System of the correct temp or there is a duct/vent issue. It should start by directing the warm air up to the screen to gently warm then after a period of time switch the vents to the cabin.

HTH
Julian 110 County Station Wagon V8
Freelander Sport Td4
Discovery 4 XS TDV6
Defender X 110 P400
Post #901884 7th May 2021 10:49am
Julep

Jersey 
I guess I should also comment that mine is an MY20 and now 'an old model' so things may have changed. Sad

To note from Tim comment, mine was cheaper..?!!? But still looked nothing like the 'Remote control' pictured..

Click image to enlarge

I am just trying to work out how to upload apps to mine though... Rolling Eyes 110 County Station Wagon V8
Freelander Sport Td4
Discovery 4 XS TDV6
Defender X 110 P400
Post #901891 7th May 2021 11:53am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>