↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Orders 2022MY (L663) > MY22 Defender Carpathian V8 order
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 8 12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
LoneStarBridger

United States 
MY22 Defender Carpathian V8 order
I’m in USA and placed an order for the V8 carpathian in Texas. I’m new to Land Rover, and could use some help. Any answers or insights to my questions below are appreciated!

-Dealer said they only had one V8 allocation, and I was lucky I was able to reserve. Sound right?

-I put $1k refundable down. Reasonable?

-Some of the fees seem like hidden ones $343 for TTL, an inventory fee, and tinted windows. Will Land Rover negotiate, or is the V8 Carpathian in such high demand they prefer I walk so they can sell for higher price?

-no changes after June 30, estimated deliver October 18. Sound right? (I’m betting the over given all supply chain issues right now across the auto industry).

Any other thoughts appreciated!
Post #897932 13th Apr 2021 9:34am
J77

Scotland 
Welcome

Dealer allocation sounds right, I wouldn’t imagine they’d have a large amount available at the moment.

Deposit, here in the UK a lot of dealers insist on a £1k so again sounds right.

Dealer hidden fees, I suppose they may be open to negotiating but it doesn’t matter where you are in the world a car dealer is a car dealer and they will stick fees wherever they can.

Order locked/delivery date sounds right. 23.5MY 90 D250 X-Dynamic SE, Pangea Green
Gone - 23MY 110 D250 XS Edition, Hakuba Silver
Gone - 21MY 90 D200 S, Tasman Blue, Fuji White roof.
Post #897937 13th Apr 2021 10:03am
LincsLR

United Kingdom 
Relax, that all sounds about right. Limited number of the V8 as LR don’t want to impact their corporate emissions levels. It’s too expensive for them, and there are only so many Tesla carbon credits they can buy Very Happy
Post #898095 13th Apr 2021 10:14pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Welcome to the forum Thumbs Up I can't help with questions but great spec!! Very envious! Thumbs Up James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #898109 14th Apr 2021 5:54am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
LincsLR wrote:
Relax, that all sounds about right. Limited number of the V8 as LR don’t want to impact their corporate emissions levels. It’s too expensive for them, and there are only so many Tesla carbon credits they can buy Very Happy

Does that make any sense in the context of all the V8 SVR variants in the JLR fleet? It may be more down to wanting to manage supply to avoid discounting and manage exclusivity.

I think in the States dealers have the option to sell above manufacturers on the road price if there is demand?
Post #898112 14th Apr 2021 6:30am
LincsLR

United Kingdom 
Yes, it makes perfect sense, and for the very reason you outline. There are other SVR variants across the JLR model range and while the sales numbers of these are small, collectively they continue to hurt JLR. They are among the worst for CO2 emissions and are having to pay tens of millions each year in fines to the EU. The only way they’re managing to mitigate some of this cost is through CO2 pooling schemes, buying the credits from companies such as Tesla (who themselves use this as a way to reduce losses). JLR are impacted so badly because of their reliance on Diesel engines, so you may ask why put the V8 out at all. But the simple fact is they need these halo cars to keep the market interested while they work hard to pivot towards BEV. They haven’t helped themselves by cancelling the new XJ while Gerry gets to work on the new Jaguar strategy.

So yes, perfect sense. Make a halo car, sell it in numbers that make sense (they have already developed the platform and the engine is old tech so no development costs) and then constrain the market through dealer allocation and waiting lists. The SVR is £100k+ car, and highly profitable. Make enough to sell and make good money, without tipping the fines over to the next level of pain because the escalating fines start to reduce that profit.
Post #898133 14th Apr 2021 8:47am
Japseroony

England 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Was not aware the V8 Defender was an SVO car? It certainly is not badged as such and is only available in limited colour's so not even an SVO paint job Thumbs Up Gas, Grass Or Ass - Nobody Rides For Free

"UNDERSTEER" ----is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.
"OVERSTEER" ------is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car.
"HORSEPOWER" ----is how fast you hit the fence.
"TORQUE" -----------is how far you take the fence with you.
Post #898189 14th Apr 2021 12:50pm
LincsLR

United Kingdom 
V8 isn’t an SVO car; no suggestion that it is. It is just another version of the standard car with a bigger engine and some upgrades but certainly not enough changes to make it SVO. It’s only the engine that’s relevant here because it’s the same one that’s in the RRS SVR, albeit with a different power output.
Post #898197 14th Apr 2021 1:30pm
Japseroony

LincsLR wrote:
The SVR is £100k+ car, and highly profitable. Make enough to sell and make good money, without tipping the fines over to the next level of pain because the escalating fines start to reduce that profit.

Sorry, I thought your comment as above indicated you thought it was as the Defender 110 V8 is £101,250 basic OTR price Thumbs Up Gas, Grass Or Ass - Nobody Rides For Free

Post #898199 14th Apr 2021 1:34pm
LincsLR

United Kingdom 
Oh sorry, should have been clearer but that post ran on somewhat!

No, I meant the real RRS SVR. I had a look at it again and kept wondering if I should go for that instead. But it’s old where the Defender is new. And it will be replaced next year. And while you need to add loads of equipment that comes on the defender v8, the discounts are strong and the drive is probably better. But there is just something about the new Defender. I fully expect as soon as I have my V8, an SVO fettled car will be released Rolling Eyes
Post #898202 14th Apr 2021 1:50pm
Japseroony

Have you looked at the SVA FF as literally everything is included and all extras are a NCO that you have to tick - even the factory tour/pick up is included (Covid permitting) and there are strong discounts on offer - I had one that I bought new and picked up from Solihul that has had an issue and between JLR and the dealer they are taking back off me but loved it to bits and IMHO its much better then the SVR Thumbs Up

I did consider the V8 Defender but due to my wishing to take it off road to the Pyrenees and you can only go down to a 20" rim decided on the P400 that allows 19" rims and therefore a taller sidewall on the tyre Wink Gas, Grass Or Ass - Nobody Rides For Free

Post #898205 14th Apr 2021 1:57pm
LincsLR

United Kingdom 
It does look like a great car, but at £145k it also just feels a bit toppy to me...it’s now firmly in the twilight of its life, with a completely new model replacing it in just a few months. If the new model achieves the same as the L405 did when it was launched, it will instantly age the L405. It’s right that it does of course, that’s progress, but at the same time it will be a real shame because compared to most, the FFRR still does look so good. Anyway, seriously off topic and probably going to get told off Very Happy
Post #898229 14th Apr 2021 4:14pm
Japseroony

I know for certain a 10% discount is achievable if you were interested but yes the new one should be coming along at the end of the year, just not sure when the SVA will be available and at what price Thumbs Up

Having had one I can honestly say it was a pleasure to drive and much more refined than the SVR with a more prestigious approach/drive Wink Gas, Grass Or Ass - Nobody Rides For Free

Post #898233 14th Apr 2021 4:47pm
Griff90bowler

Wales 
Japseroony wrote:
Was not aware the V8 Defender was an SVO car? It certainly is not badged as such and is only available in limited colour's so not even an SVO paint job Thumbs Up

I was told by the dealer that my V8 defender has a 400 code of some sort against it which normally means a trip to SVO
Post #898251 14th Apr 2021 6:13pm
montpellier

My build not confirmed end of June (110 ) , so expect others to start seeing cars in the next few weeks .
Post #904174 20th May 2021 10:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 8 12345678>