↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Three versions of the Alarm unit ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Three versions of the Alarm unit ?
I’ve been doing a little search on the Alarm units fitted to Puma’s.

I always thought their were two versions however looking at the remotekey site https://remotekey.co.uk/land-rover-keys-re...larm-ecus/ it seems their are 3 versions of the alarm unit.
1. The 10AS module used up until circa 2012. This is green and uses the Lucas 2 button fobs.
2. A clone of the 10AS unit used between circa 2012 and 2014. This is black and uses the Lucas key fobs as per 1. above.
3 The ALM ECU , a different unit used between circa 2014 and 2016. This has the different fobs with the chrome strip down the side and a separate receiver unit attached externally to the ALM ECU to work with the fobs.

Now I assumed I had the green 10AS as I have the old style fob, and everything I have found on the nanocom site states there is either the green 10AS or the ALM. I can’t find any mention of the black 10AS clone. It may be there but I have not found any reference as yet.

The issue is remotekey state there is an issue with the clone unit in that it can freeze if the main battery gets too low or dies which means you can’t start vehicle, requires them to repair / replace at between £160 - £450 , and diagnostic tools can’t fix the problem and if you try they can’t then fix it ? This could be an issue with vehicles not being used during covid and the alternative being a new ALM ECU from landrover at circa £700 plus !!!!

I will have a look to see what colour my alarm unit is, hoping it’s green as my 110 is a 2013 but with landrover you never know what’s actually fitted until you look as it all depends what was in the parts bin at manufacture.
I think I will also ask nanocom, as I have one, to confirm there are 3 versions of the alarm unit, that the nanocom supports the clone version, and ask whether remotekey are correct in the issue with the 10AS clone and if using the nanocom you can’t can’t fix the issue and if you try it will make things worse as remotekey infer.

This may not affect many as it’s only covers circa 2 years of manufacture. But thought I would post so people are aware , can check which unit they have, and keep their batteries charged if they have the clone unit as it could have significant implications.

I will post more as I get more info and welcome any insight others have in this area.
Post #897606 12th Apr 2021 12:59am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Don't forget that there are also two sub-variants of the Lucas 10AS, the "poverty spec" version and the version with CDL/Alarm, indistinguishable (as far as I know) from the outside.

Whether there are similar sub-variants of the later units, I do not know.
Post #897632 12th Apr 2021 8:31am
s55shh

United Kingdom 
earlier ALM start with a part number of Cxxxxx, later ones with the pebble shaped key start with Dxxxxx. Mine started with a D and mysteriously developed a non starting fault while in an independant dealers workshop for two months before Xmas. It drove from their bodyshop to their workshop but then wouldn't restart. Rather than deal with any arguments about who was to blame, I bought an emulator which made it run, and then fitted a separate thatcham Cat 1 alarm which I was going to do anyway for peace of mind.
Post #897650 12th Apr 2021 9:22am
Ianh

United Kingdom 
^^^^^^^^^
Where did you get the emulator s55ssh ? Remote key look like they sell one for £250. I don’t have any issues at present but always handy to know just in case.

Ps as it’s security related I fully understand if you want to keep that confidential.
Post #897693 12th Apr 2021 1:14pm
s55shh

United Kingdom 
from remotekey
Post #897710 12th Apr 2021 2:12pm
Julie

France 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Re: Three versions of the Alarm unit ?
Ianh wrote:
I’ve been doing a little search on the Alarm units fitted to Puma’s.

it seems their are 3 versions of the alarm unit.
1. The 10AS module used up until circa 2012. This is green and uses the Lucas 2 button fobs.
2. A clone of the 10AS unit used between circa 2012 and 2014. This is black and uses the Lucas key fobs as per 1. above.
3 The ALM ECU , a different unit used between circa 2014 and 2016. This has the different fobs with the chrome strip down the side and a separate receiver unit attached externally to the ALM ECU to work with the fobs .

Just look inside this document, p10, and find out all about the Black Alm Clown using Lucas fobs Laughing

As the ALM ECU shares the same connectors and case shape that changes from Green to Black, the ALM ECU is often errantly referred to as the Black 10AS (see p3)

https://www.nanocom-diagnostics.com/downloads/preview/alm-ecu
Post #897797 12th Apr 2021 8:51pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thanks Julie, you underpin my point. I have read the document you highlighted, and others from nanocom. However when you read the remotekey doc I linked to they are at odds as remote key talk of a clone that is also black and uses old style fobs, plus the ALM ECU with the new fobs. It is this inconsistency I’m trying to get to the bottom of.

Edit- reading page 10 a couple of times it does infer, albeit somewhat cryptically , that old fobs work with the ALM module and new fobs require the additional receiver kit. Equally it could be trying to say that like the 10as there are two versions of the ALM ECU, one that supports central locking, one that does not.

I’m just digging to get clarity so we as a community can have a definitive record of all the versions and what to do with what tools if we have issues. I blame my OCD Very Happy
Post #897958 13th Apr 2021 12:40pm
Julie

France 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Supposedly thé black ALM was delivered with old Lucas fobs when they were available.
In conformance with that LR service bulletin.
Post #897988 13th Apr 2021 3:03pm
Race.it

Spain 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
Then there is two versions of the green one that I know one with cl one without.

Can you reprogram a second hand one of the green/black one with something like the nanocom? Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

5 months after starting the search I found it, and here is the details
Post #898031 13th Apr 2021 5:56pm
macfrank

Germany 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Re: Three versions of the Alarm unit ?
Ianh wrote:

The issue is remotekey state there is an issue with the clone unit in that it can freeze if the main battery gets too low or dies which means you can’t start vehicle, requires them to repair / replace at between £160 - £450 , and diagnostic tools can’t fix the problem and if you try they can’t then fix it ? This could be an issue with vehicles not being used during covid and the alternative being a new ALM ECU from landrover at circa £700 plus !!!!

This seems to support the problems with low battery (missing "brown-out protection", which I can confirm is a feature of microcontrollers) https://www.m1n1.de/en/alm_ch12_immobilizer/
However, this sounds as if all ALMs are affected - misleading? I'd be happy as I have a MY 2015.

Last edited by macfrank on 13th Apr 2021 8:44pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #898037 13th Apr 2021 6:19pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Thanks Macfrank,
an interesting read on your link that seems to confirm what remotekey state. It also supports my initial thoughts that there are 3 versions of the alarm units.
1.The Lucas AS10- until 2012
2.The ALM CH12-15K600-BA etc - the clone version with Lucas fobs - that has the brownout issue due to power loss - 2012 - 2014
3. The ALM DH- xxxxxxxxx - the replacement for the clone version, should not have brownout issue, 2014 - 2016.

So your 2015 puma should be ok macfrank, as will anyone with the new fobs, or a green AS10 unit. Those with the black unit with old fobs with the CH-12 serial numbers listed by remotekey on their alarm unit just be aware of the brownout issue with low battery.

Next job is to mail nanocom to get their thoughts.
Post #898067 13th Apr 2021 8:41pm
macfrank

Thumbs Up
Post #898068 13th Apr 2021 8:43pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Having done some more reading I’m now of the opinion that both the CH and DH versions are susceptible to the brownout issue Sad , plus the CH and potentially the DH versions getting damaged if you fit LED internal lights or bulbs !
Post #948413 6th Apr 2022 11:47pm
macfrank

Sad Sources?
Post #948438 7th Apr 2022 8:18am
Race.it

Spain 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
so reading this I would infer that the AS10 (the green one) does not suffer from these brown outs if the LED bulbs are used on the inside? Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

5 months after starting the search I found it, and here is the details
Post #948451 7th Apr 2022 10:37am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>