↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > garden sleepers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
garden sleepers
before departing with my hard earned cash - does anyone on here sell / deliver to Birmingham garden sleepers? Thumbs Up
Post #896176 6th Apr 2021 12:23pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
There are sleeper, and there are sleepers.

I can’t help you with your quest but just for info sleepers come in very different versions. I would only use oak new ones, or old proper ones with all the character, nails, and smells. The new non oak ones last a very short time, weigh very little, but as easy to use.
Post #896183 6th Apr 2021 12:33pm
Caterham

thanks for the info Andy.
New ones are the way forward for use as we're looking for a more modern look than the original sleepers will likely give.

in terms of a very short timber could you quantify please - the treated ones are 'seemingly' warrantied for 15 years which I'd probably be happy with?

do you think 15 years is somewhat optimistic? Thumbs Up
Post #896187 6th Apr 2021 12:47pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Hello

I used 'real' sleepers in a previous house garden, they weight a tonne... literally, Creosolt after layers of creosolt they will probably last well beyond me and you... However

You can hardly move them, very difficult to work with, cut, etc... ooh and the ones I had were very dark (with the gallons of creosolt used in them).

For a retaining wall in our current house I'm using 125x250x2.4m treated I can just about carry one but much easier if 2. You can also cut them with a circular saw, flipping them each time and finish the middle with a hand saw. I have used bricks and old plastic hen feed bags underneath to help them from rot and also behind used plastic sheeting to stop the soil constantly keeping them damp.

For 'looks', moving, they are much better to work with. I doubt they will last anything like as long but still pretty solid.

You can see them in use here between steel beams Smile I'm happy with them, but as others have said you can get all sorts of types.. some much thinner and maybe not treated

Click image to enlarge
Post #896190 6th Apr 2021 12:58pm
Caterham

Thumbs Up
like yourself I was planning on putting some plastic sheeting between earth and sleeper to help keep them drieier Thumbs Up

yours if looking very tidy Bow down
Post #896195 6th Apr 2021 1:35pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
I used that farm supplies shop on the road between Coleshill and Nether Whittaker not far from you. DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #896197 6th Apr 2021 1:47pm
Caterham

hmm - not got a clue where you mean but will get onto google after my teams call shortly Thumbs Up

thanks Rob. trust you're well and the def is going well? Mr. Green
Post #896198 6th Apr 2021 1:53pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Soft wood ones have failed after about 5-6 years, so always recommended oak new sleepers. They are still a modern look and are quick grown oak, so not hugely heavy, but still very simple to work with, cut and stack. End of the day it comes down to price, and the amount of time you plan to stay where you’ve installed them.

Oak ones are about £10 more per sleeper (2400mm long)
Post #896199 6th Apr 2021 1:54pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Just remember water can be trapped on top of plastic sheeting causing just as many problems as it solves stopping water coming up. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #896200 6th Apr 2021 1:55pm
Caterham

/\ good point

landy andy wrote:
Soft wood ones have failed after about 5-6 years, so always recommended oak new sleepers. They are still a modern look and are quick grown oak, so not hugely heavy, but still very simple to work with, cut and stack. End of the day it comes down to price, and the amount of time you plan to stay where you’ve installed them.

Oak ones are about £10 more per sleeper (2400mm long)

5-6 years - presumably not treated?
Post #896217 6th Apr 2021 4:10pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Reading the comments with interest as I need to replace 11 "genuine" sleepers that form the roof of our septic tank soakaway.
They were reclaimed ones when I put them in place nearly 30 years ago, but they have now started to rot away on the edges and are allowing debris to fall through into the soakaway.
Some of the cheaper softwood ones I have seen advertised are shorter in length and smaller cross section to the original sleepers. If they only have a limited lifespan as well, then I think I'll stay clear.
I probably need to bite the bullet and get another set of good quality salvaged originals.
Post #896220 6th Apr 2021 4:27pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
My Neighbour has used the treated ones I am using for a wall (not a retaining wall)

He's had them 5 years and they look as good as new.

I'm guessing these are good for 15 years easily at a guess? but depends on the use, water levels, how your using them, area? etc etc.

The way we have built our wall while it will be slightly awkward I would think we could change them relatively easily when they need replacing.

For us it was more about 'looks' as the boss didn't want darker ones which round near me most originals are much darker.

Thumbs Up
Post #896247 6th Apr 2021 5:37pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
lohr500 wrote:
... I need to replace 11 "genuine" sleepers that form the roof of our septic tank soakaway.
They were reclaimed ones when I put them in place nearly 30 years ago, but they have now started to rot away on the edges and are allowing debris to fall through into the soakaway. ...

For this application you could possibly consider using concrete sleepers, the only downside is that handling them is harder since they are much heavier than wood. They would last forever though.

As someone who uses sleepers for their original purpose (holding rails in place for trains) it amuses me how far removed the things you now get for gardens are from real sleepers. Genuine ex-railway sleepers of the old-fashioned pressure-creosoted variety are now considered hazardous waste (due to the creosote) and are frowned upon for gardens. Nowadays if you want an enduring wood sleeper (or more commonly crossing timber - think sleeper but in a bigger section and much longer - for S&C work) you would use a sustainable hardwood such as Jarrah. This is probably unattractive for garden use however due to the cost, and the fact that you very seldom need something as big as a real sleeper anyway (they used to be used because they were available, cheap, and suitable, rather than necessary). I imagine that for garden use green oak would be as suitable as anything and if installed sensibly should last a long time.
Post #896273 6th Apr 2021 6:41pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Blythe Mill Farm Supplies Ltd (no connection other than being a customer)

off the B4114 they are the garden variety rather than the real thing but best price with delivery I could find

Def is going well thanks DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #896283 6th Apr 2021 7:10pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
blackwolf wrote:

For this application you could possibly consider using concrete sleepers, the only downside is that handling them is harder since they are much heavier than wood. They would last forever though.

I did think about concrete ones Blackwolf, but then I found a website somewhere that said they weighed 250kg a piece Sad Does that sound about right? My compact tractor's front loader would probably cope with them, but it makes it a big job to lift them when we need to get to the tippler and for periodic maintenance. At least with the wooden sleepers, we can move them easily with one of us on each end.

Also seen some slabbed original sleepers for sale locally, but they aren't a lot cheaper than full sized ones.

I am toying with the idea of sheets of marine ply to cover the top and then put the existing sleepers back in place over the marine ply to provide some strength for when sheep walk over it.
Post #896299 6th Apr 2021 7:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>