↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > garden sleepers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Muddybigdog

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Alternative solutions are wired gambions https://www.wirefence.co.uk/gabion/, Jumped ship to reliability - Mitsubishi L200
Puma 90 XS - Sold
D3 - 2.7 S x2 (both Sold)
Freelander 2 HSE - Sold
Freelander 1 - Sold
Disco 2 - Sold
Post #896330 6th Apr 2021 9:47pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
lohr500 wrote:
...I did think about concrete ones Blackwolf, but then I found a website somewhere that said they weighed 250kg a piece...

Actually they're a little heavier even than that, typically 285 kg. Not really suitable if you need to lift them unless you have a suitable machine.
Post #896338 6th Apr 2021 10:44pm
boxoftricks

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
I used the new oak sleepers to build a retaining wall and also edge our drive. 13 years later they are full of rot and have fallen apart. I can't recall if they were treated with anything.

The ones in the wall quite quickly bent and twisted as they dried out creating gaps. I used the long decking hex heads to join them but in hindsight not strong enough to stop the wood from moving. Next time I'd drill holes all the way through them and use vertical threaded bar to securely bolt together.

The ones edging the drive I laid on a bed of concrete. I put a load of big nails into the bottom of the sleepers so when in place the nails went into the concrete. This held them nicely in place.

Hope that helps.
Post #896375 7th Apr 2021 8:31am
alwoodley72

England 2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Alaska White
I have my own landscaping business, we install a lot of sleeper walls as they are cheaper, much more eco friendly and ‘softer’ than a lot if walks.
A couple of top tips, don’t get the oak sleepers, they are rapidly grown European oak in general, they do not last, often rotting before new treated sleepers.
Use the larger size (2400/250/125 size) as there is a lot more meat to them.
Tanalised will last if drained adequately, NEVER line with non breathable plastic ( bags, bin liners, dpm..) use a breathable membrane, weed suppressant/ roof membrane. Drainage drainage drainage, we always backfill with a 10mm shingle behind the sleepers, almost to ground level, use a perforated pipe for any likely standing/trapped water behind.
We rarely install them horizontally, cut and affixed to a timber frame they look rather lovely, plus you can curve the run...
HTH!..
Cheers
Alex

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 98 300 tdi 90 project
94 Range Rover vogue 4.2 lse
79 911 sc
08 130 double cab utility
Post #896460 7th Apr 2021 1:51pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
About twelve years ago, I roped in three or four friends to help me build a sleeper retaining wall in my garden. It was quite a complicated affair involving steps, terraced beds and a large section of nearly 2m high wall, raked back at something like 13 degrees (I did the calcs at the time). I used continental reclaimed sleepers that were about 10 x 6 in section and they were 'kin heavy! 100 of them in total and I used a chainsaw to cut them to length and shape, where necessary. It was a satisfying job but never again! Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 10th Apr 2021 7:10am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #896491 7th Apr 2021 3:24pm
Tomotomo

United Kingdom 
I think it all depends on how long your intend to live in your current home.
As others have said both the treated softwood and the new oak sleepers will be nearing the end of their life at the ten year point.
They are speedy and cheap to construct things with but the trade off is life span.
The genuine reclaimed railway sleepers are so full of tar and creosote they last for donkeys years. But in the sun they ooze sticky tar and are a nightmare to cut .
If your staying there for less than 5 years and doing a quick tidy up in the garden - sure.
If your there for the foreseeable I would spend more on properly constructed brick/ block work.
I am a stone Mason/ builder/landscaper by trade.
Post #897115 9th Apr 2021 10:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12