Home > Technical > Newbie questions & difficult transfer gearbox question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Jazz

Kenya 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Newbie questions & difficult transfer gearbox question
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and new to Defender (cars in general actually) as well. I hope you bear with me while I am asking you a couple of questions, that probably make me a laughingstock, as they are incredibly basics. Yet, even with googling, I don't seem to find certain answers so I hope you are so kind and help me on my path with my newly purchased (second-hand) Defender 110.

This is what I know about my car:
- Defender 110
- Station Wagon
- Manufacturing year 2014
- Rating 2200
- Puma engine

This is what I am trying to figure out:

1) How do I know if my Puma engine is 2.2. or 2.4?
1a) Does 2.2/2.4 refer to liter or cylinder... or what does it mean?

2) How much horse power does it have?

3) Now a more advanced question that needs a bit more explanation:
I recently had to replace the transfer gearbox. Before the replacement, I would usually shift gears when it reaches about 2000rpm. This was the point when the car became louder and it just felt like it needed higher gear. This worked perfectly and in general the car drove very well. I also hardly used the first gear. Only to start, but technically (even though I assume you are not supposed to) I could even start in second gear. Second gear was really strong.

Now the new transfer gearbox doesn't feel close as nice. In fact, it annoys me quite a bit. For example: I am in second gear. RPM reach about 2500, car is loud and it just feels "difficult", like it's really time to change to third gear. When I change to third gear, it's the complete opposite. RPM drop significantly, so low in fact, that the car is almost "starving", needing lower gear after all. While this was so effortless and easy with the old box, it's really a hassle with the new and I am constantly either with really high RPM (which doesn't "feel right") or too low RPM that it's starving. It is to a point, that now I also have to drive a lot more in first gear (while previously I rarely needed it).

Also, maybe I am just imagining it, but I also feel like the gears go in a bit "harder" - meaning not as smoothly. Not meaning that more force is needed, more like as if it's difficult to find the right angle to put the new gear in. Not sure if this explaination makes any sense...

These issues are mainly noticeable between first, second and third gear.

Do you have any idea what the cause of this is? The mechanic who did the transfer gearbox change for me claims both transfer gearboxes have the same ratio. I checked the current one and it says 1.211 ratio. I still have the old box and will confirm what's written on that one, but it's in a storage facility that I can only access in 2-3 weeks.

Do you have any thoughts on this?

Thanks for taking the time to read my newbie questions and please don't shred me to pieces for my ignorance Confused Very Happy
Post #890352 10th Mar 2021 8:15am
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
The year means it’s a 2.2. Also the log book should tell you. It’s about 120hp from memory. Not sure on the transfer box, was it new or recon?
Post #890359 10th Mar 2021 8:56am
Jazz

Thank you!

The "new" transfer box was bought second hand and is supposed to be a original Land Rover spare part (according to the mechanic)
Post #890365 10th Mar 2021 9:16am
Sicastle71

England 1999 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Alaska White
Sounds like the transfer box ratios are out. I believe that you should have a 1.2 gearing in the transfer box could be a 1:1 ratio they have put in to cause that behaviour or have they disturbed something in the engine causing a loss of power ???
Post #890368 10th Mar 2021 9:27am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The transfer box would originally have had a label on it showing the ratio, the label would be located in the vicinity of the oil filler plug by the handbrake drum. A 2014 Defender should have a 1:1.2 ratio box, which is different to all earlier models. It is possible that you have been supplied with the wrong type.

Be aware that the label is often missing on older boxes however.
Post #890371 10th Mar 2021 9:59am
Jazz

Sicastle71 wrote:
Sounds like the transfer box ratios are out. I believe that you should have a 1.2 gearing in the transfer box could be a 1:1 ratio they have put in to cause that behaviour or have they disturbed something in the engine causing a loss of power ???

Thanks for your input!

They definitely didn't touch the engine or anything else. I was there the whole time watching and trying to understand what's happening. The mechanic only removed the transfer box and put the replacement second-hand one in. It must somehow be caused by the replaced transfer box.

Am I understanding it correctly, that you are saying there is a ratio setting inside the transfer box? So the box would need to be opened to check that setting?
Post #890373 10th Mar 2021 10:12am
Jazz

blackwolf wrote:
The transfer box would originally have had a label on it showing the ratio, the label would be located in the vicinity of the oil filler plug by the handbrake drum. A 2014 Defender should have a 1:1.2 ratio box, which is different to all earlier models. It is possible that you have been supplied with the wrong type.

Be aware that the label is often missing on older boxes however.

Thanks also for your help!

I found the label on the current box and it says 1.211 (see attached photo)

In about 2-3 weeks I can go to the facility where I am storing the old transfer-box. I don't remember having seen a label on it but in case there is one, I can check what ratio the old one had.

edit: Somehow attaching the pic doesn't work. Give me a second, I will upload it and post the link

edit2: I uploaded the picture, please see here: https://ibb.co/NrnkzP4
Post #890375 10th Mar 2021 10:15am
blackwolf

That should be the right box for the vehicle. Perhaps the one that came out was wrong.

If the label is missing it should be possible to check the serial number of the transfer box online, there are various sites which list serial numbers and ratios.

It is very odd that just changing the transfer box has caused such a massive difference in drivability.
Post #890381 10th Mar 2021 10:25am
Sicastle71

England 1999 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Alaska White
Have a look on Ashcroft transmissions website they have a calculator to look at the differences in rpm speed and gearing all depending on transfer box ratio. It is possible that somebody’s has installed the 1:1 gearing in the transfer box you got as a replacement
Post #890382 10th Mar 2021 10:28am
Jazz

Both your input is so incredibly helpful! I will check the ratio of the old box and also have a look on Ashcroft transmission's calculator. Doing all that will definitely take some time though. I just had a brief look at the calculator and it needs a lot of information that I need to confirm/find out first. Once I get the results, I will update you!

In the meantime: Does this issue sound like it's just a matter of my personal comfort/enjoyment or does it sound like something could be seriously wrong? In other words: If I continue to drive like that, do you think the ratio-issue (e.g. possibility that a different ratio/gearing is installed) could cause damages? I have a few longer distances to drive within the next few days, that's why I'm asking.
Post #890384 10th Mar 2021 10:39am
I Like Old Skool

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi ST Coniston Green
Have you ruled out that the handbrake isn't dragging? If you have only done short journeys the it might not get hot enough to smell.
Post #890385 10th Mar 2021 10:45am
Jazz

Very interesting point! In addition to changing the transfer box the mechanic has played around with and adjusted the handbrake.

Do you know is there a way for me to check whether the handbrake is dragging without opening something up?
Post #890387 10th Mar 2021 10:50am
I Like Old Skool

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi ST Coniston Green
jack up a rear wheel and spin it by hand with the handbrake off. It should turn freely (gearbox in neutral). While still spinning the wheel get someone to pull the handbrake a click at a time. You should get a definite engagement after a few clicks.
Post #890393 10th Mar 2021 11:08am
blackwolf

The easiest way might be to slacken off the adjuster (on the back of the handbrake, between the backplate and the transfer box) and go for a drive to see if it is better.
Post #890395 10th Mar 2021 11:11am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Jazz wrote:
Very interesting point! In addition to changing the transfer box the mechanic has played around with and adjusted the handbrake.

Do you know is there a way for me to check whether the handbrake is dragging without opening something up?

Drive it then feel for it being REALLY hot afterwards
Post #890396 10th Mar 2021 11:15am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>