↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > eBay & Bargain Spots > Fox shocks 2 inch lift.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
sykes705

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Epsom Green
Ok thanks guess they are not worth the hassle with standard springs
Post #889395 6th Mar 2021 10:42am
Matt110

United Kingdom 
You can runstandard springs easily, you could even run them lowered at the front (not the back). But you do need new front turrets at the front regardless of the spring height you choose due to the remote reservoirs. And at the rear you'll need dislocation capability at full extension unless you go for a lot of lift.
Post #889396 6th Mar 2021 10:46am
sykes705

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Epsom Green
Ok many’s thanks.

Have ordered std height shock towers and rear disconnects will I also need larger bump stops at the rear?

James
Post #889956 8th Mar 2021 7:48pm
Matt110

United Kingdom 
Unless you're running a lift you need 2" longer front turrets not standard height.... Sad

If you've gone for standard height front turrets you'll need longer front bump stops to add to your rear ones. But unless you actively want extra droop at the front... You're better off with longer turrets and standard bump stops. You'll get more upward suspension travel then for big hits. Potholes etc.

This is also only theory at this stage but it's what I plan to do in about a week's time.
Post #889957 8th Mar 2021 7:51pm
jonny

Managed to get the rears done this afternoon in between the rain - fairly straightforwards so far..

I used the Pro Comp boots from Gwyn Lewis (https://gwynlewis4x4.co.uk/product/pro-comp-black-shock-boots-pair/) which appear to be almost identical to the ones that Alive are selling for twice the price. The bottoms are reasonably loose/open so any dirt / moisture should run out fairly easily.

For the fronts, the manual suggests drilling a hole in the chassis and using the self tapping bolt to mount the reservoir - not really keen on the idea of that as it puts it down low and close to the muck. What's everyone else planning on doing? Ideally if I can jubilee clip it to the shock tower that would be great, but I think the hose is a bit long for that...

edit - reading on here it looks like some have put the reservoirs in the engine bay.

It also looks like the shock bodies are prone to corrosion from road salt as they are raw aluminium, so a few coats of clear waxoyl are in order to help protect them...
Post #891116 13th Mar 2021 4:53pm
Matt110

United Kingdom 
Sounds good. So what is your complete rear setup then if you can share?

Still attempting to figure out the rear.

Fronts, I've seen loads mounted to the inside of the front wing top, inside the engine bay. They look quite flash there too when you open the bonnet, and as you say are out of the way.

The boots sound good. Prolinx also sell them but as per my previous rant... Want £12 to post them out! Quite a lot when they're only £6 a boot. But they're then the fox ones.
Post #891133 13th Mar 2021 6:21pm
jonny

Not entirely sure of the full setup - the landy came with a 2" lift all round with De Carbon shocks.

I snapped a front spring last year so have +2 OME v8 spec springs on the front now, and whatever brand the orange ones on the back are. At some point I may put the OME rears on to match as well..
Post #891165 13th Mar 2021 8:01pm
Matt110

United Kingdom 
Sounds good. Does it have a rear roll bar? One of the things that's not meant to work with a +2" shock at the rear. Fronts ok apparently if using +2" turrets.

I'm enthusiastic to use a rear bar.
Post #891166 13th Mar 2021 8:03pm
jonny

Yep - have a rear roll bar, all seems to work OK!

Running standard height turrets on the front (Gwyn Lewis HD).
Post #891169 13th Mar 2021 8:14pm
Matt110

United Kingdom 
I'm guessing you've probably got extended bump stops in that case or the shocks would be too long at the front.

Great news on the rear roll bar. Thumbs Up
Post #891172 13th Mar 2021 8:24pm
jonny

Nope, standard bump stops if I remember correctly.

Jury still seems to be out as to if you need extended bumpstops on a 2" lift with standard turrets, plenty of people are running standard with no issues..
Post #891189 13th Mar 2021 9:05pm
Matt110

United Kingdom 
Yeah I'm certainly confused.

By my measurements in the other thread the shock body is 1" or so longer than standard LR shock. That could either mean it bottoms out before the bump stop, or, if LR left some tolerance on a standard shock.... Doesn't.

Think I'm going to have to take my springs out, lower it to the bump stops front and rear, and then try and fit the shocks. If I can fit them... All will be well. If they won't compress enough, problem.

I can't see another way to do it. I guess measuring upward travel would do it from whatever ride height it sits at standard, to the bump stop being in contact with the axle. Then checking that Vs the shock.
Post #891195 13th Mar 2021 9:15pm
jonny

Shock body length doesn't necessarily equate to the amount of travel though - depends how much internals are inside the body.

I was going to say that you could do it based on the quoted min/max lengths of the shock which are available - and compare to standard shocks, but it doesn't look like there's a standard way of measuring. I think taking a spring out or jacking one corner up is really the only way to accurately tell if it will bottom out or not...
Post #891219 13th Mar 2021 10:26pm
Matt110

United Kingdom 
Think I'm rapidly concluding the same. Just fit and check with spring removed. Bit of a faff but reliable. And when I hit that pothole and hear a thump I won't wince ......!
Post #891236 13th Mar 2021 10:55pm
jonny

You should be fine on potholes, I think you'd only ever run into issues at full articulation off road - and I think my tyres would probably hit the tub before the shocks bottomed out...

Bewarned, trying to compress the fox shocks by hand takes quite a bit of effort, trying to see if they'd fit at max compression would be a bit of a mission.. . I think it'd be much easier to compress then measure between the mounts and compare...
Post #891238 13th Mar 2021 11:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>