↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > RRS 16 swap for new DEF, new RRS, D5 or not bother?
Would you upgrade a 2016 RRS to...? and why/not?
New RRS TDv6
20%
 20%  [5]
New D5 TDv6
16%
 16%  [4]
Def TDv6
52%
 52%  [13]
Keep RRS 16 for now as not worth upgrading
8%
 8%  [2]
x5, q7 or GLE
4%
 4%  [1]
Total Votes: 25

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
feniksss

United Kingdom 
RRS 16 swap for new DEF, new RRS, D5 or not bother?
OK so here we come to a quick poll...
I have asked for some opinions from the RRS owners already and all were favourable to the new DEF

I see current poll cars fairly closely matched in terms of equipment, running same engine and doing similar trick for a doo-all car, hence opinions on your preffered pick welcome! plus, they seem to be priced very closely with similar options

What would you pick and why?

Main reasons to go for new car are the electronics and assistants which the RRS 16 lacks, ie beam, cruise control etc...

added cabin space is important (find RRS a bit crampy)

offroad ability is important but more important is handling and ride quality on road for longer and medium journeys, dont want to miss out on much as compared to the RRS, a little is OK.

inputs welcome, cheers!
Post #887515 24th Feb 2021 5:20pm
Scrumps

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Cairns Blue
Hi,

(1) I think you need to tweak your poll as LR don’t fit TDV6’s anymore.
(2) I drive a 19MY RRS AB having changed 2 yrs ago from a 16MY RRS AB - my fourth RRS - I can tell you that comfort, tech, headlights etc are chalk & cheese between the two. 19MY is fantastic.
(3) We had a 17 MY ( one of the 1st) D5 HSE’s for three years and it was a fantastic car for SWMBO - we sold it last year as SWMBO retired and wanted a ( slightly) smaller car. They are roomy, go quite well but are not as “planted” as the RRS on challenging roads.
(4) We are about to pick up a D90 D250 HSE and are expecting it to be a good “2nd car” which is more likely to off-road than the RRS but we need a 4x4 as we live in a rural location.
(5) Not sure about your “RRS cramped” comment, I’m not a small guy, but I find it quite roomy!
(6) X5 / Q7 etc - all I can say is that one of my work colleagues has bailed from Audi after four on the bounce and now drives a 20MY RRS HST having travelled in mine.

It’s your call, I’d upgrade the RRS if it were me, as mine puts a smile on my face every time I drive it, but I’m looking forward to getting SWMBO’s Def 90 too.

I hope that helps.

Scrumps 90 D250 HSE Tasman Blue
24MY L461 RRS Verasine Blue
05 TD5 90 CSW Cairns Blue
1967 MGB BRG
1944 Willy’s MB OD green
1942 Willy’s MB OD green

Last edited by Scrumps on 24th Feb 2021 8:13pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #887536 24th Feb 2021 6:41pm
Oldyellar

Scotland 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Is there a new style RRS out soon?
Post #887541 24th Feb 2021 7:10pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
I looked at the new Defender, eagerly awaited... Viewed it, drove it.... somewhat underwhelmed to be honest.

Its nice, but just missing that "specialness" for me that a car has to have and being honest I could not bring myself to pay that much. I went on the configurator a few times but it was coming in at over £60K regularly and closer to £70k, I cannot get my head round the car looking worth that? inside its no fancier than many much cheaper cars? nothing special...?

I just could not see me selling my trusty old truck and buying one for so much more. Looking at it on the drive and not wanting to use it for muddy walks, collecting hay, animal feed, chucking 3m lengths of wood etc in it...

However my reasons and everyone's are different, I'm lucky and have different cars I can use in our fleet at home... If I had just one car then in the right spec, it does a lot of everything and its New...if you like that feeling of being the first or showing the latest plate... So for a single car maybe it would be higher up a list?

For me an opportunity came along out of the blue... my dad was changing his car and was telling me about the 'deal'. I thought about it and the price he was being offered was just too good to miss.

So I bought his 3 year old FFRR off him, with a lovely spec, Radar cruise, heated and cooled seats, heated wheel, full electric roof, etc etc...

I feel pretty lucky as I have the best of both now, the 110 stays and will carry on doing the animal feed runs, camping trips, towing, DIY wood etc collecting.... and we have the FFRR for a lovely drive, nice weekend away, comfy safe motorway trips..

If I want rugged, basic and smiles I then take the Series III out Smile even the 110 feels nice after that.

If I were you can you try and get one on an extended test drive? for a weekend to see if it suits what you want of it? If buying second hand be sure what your looking at lots of base spec cars with the already 'old' engine being sold for strong asking prices.

Don't get me wrong I like them, its a Land rover after all, and maybe one day I will have one in the fleet but currently I'm more than happy I got to keep the 110 and add the FF

Lovely place to sit and waft along...

Click image to enlarge
Post #887546 24th Feb 2021 8:16pm
feniksss

United Kingdom 
Scrumps wrote:
Hi,

(1) I think you need to tweak your poll as LR don’t fit TDV6’s anymore.
(2) I drive a 19MY RRS AB having changed 2 yrs ago from a 16MY RRS AB - my fourth RRS - I can tell you that comfort, tech, headlights etc are chalk & cheese between the two. 19MY is fantastic.
(3) We had a 17 MY ( one of the 1st) D5 HSE’s for three years and it was a fantastic car for SWMBO - we sold it last year as SWMBO retired and wanted a ( slightly) smaller car. They are roomy, go quite well but are not as “planted” as the RRS on challenging roads.
(4) We are about to pick up a D90 D250 HSE and are expecting it to be a good “2nd car” which is more likely to off-road than the RRS but we need a 4x4 as we live in a rural location.
(5) Not sure about your “RRS cramped” comment, I’m not a small guy, but I find it quite roomy!
(6) X5 / Q7 etc - all I can say is that one of my work colleagues has bailed from Audi after four on the bounce and now drives a 20MY RRS HST having travelled in mine.

It’s your call, I’d upgrade the RRS if it were me, as mine puts a smile on my face every time I drive it, but I’m looking forward to getting SWMBO’s Def 90 too.

I hope that helps.

Scrumps

Scrumps, appreciate a very thorough reply!

When had a chance to upgrade to new RRS dismissed it without trying as didnt seem to offer much more in restyling guise, but now even without trying one I feel different about it. The things i miss are mostly there in the restyling though as for infotainment i really do not like it, too small to read and screen based.

Not a fan of D5 styling at all but bigger space and decent spec in HSE plus a potential disount made me think.

Look forward to test driving the Def and RRS back to back, that should hopefully help.

Agree RRS is a very good vehicule in good spec despite the age now. Dont like the way they removed buttons thugh and hid them in menus, DEF seems to be better in this respect plus modularity of seats etc, choise of seat or open space in front, its this part (a high console) that makes me feel a little cramped there, its not like a 4x4 feeling vs the older models but more of a raise coupe like the Germans. But needs to be compared side by side, maybe I am dreaming...
Post #887548 24th Feb 2021 8:23pm
feniksss

United Kingdom 
Oldyellar wrote:

Late this year the FullFat, then prob next year new RRS but realistically end 22-23 I would think. And if its more of the same with more tech and more complicated screen based menus, that will put me off if anything.

Hard to see what they will improve in the new models, hybrids or similar really dont care...
Post #887549 24th Feb 2021 8:25pm
feniksss

United Kingdom 
Stacey007 wrote:
I looked at the new Defender, eagerly awaited... Viewed it, drove it.... somewhat underwhelmed to be honest.

Its nice, but just missing that "specialness" for me that a car has to have and being honest I could not bring myself to pay that much. I went on the configurator a few times but it was coming in at over £60K regularly and closer to £70k, I cannot get my head round the car looking worth that? inside its no fancier than many much cheaper cars? nothing special...?

I just could not see me selling my trusty old truck and buying one for so much more. Looking at it on the drive and not wanting to use it for muddy walks, collecting hay, animal feed, chucking 3m lengths of wood etc in it...

However my reasons and everyone's are different, I'm lucky and have different cars I can use in our fleet at home... If I had just one car then in the right spec, it does a lot of everything and its New...if you like that feeling of being the first or showing the latest plate... So for a single car maybe it would be higher up a list?

For me an opportunity came along out of the blue... my dad was changing his car and was telling me about the 'deal'. I thought about it and the price he was being offered was just too good to miss.

So I bought his 3 year old FFRR off him, with a lovely spec, Radar cruise, heated and cooled seats, heated wheel, full electric roof, etc etc...

I feel pretty lucky as I have the best of both now, the 110 stays and will carry on doing the animal feed runs, camping trips, towing, DIY wood etc collecting.... and we have the FFRR for a lovely drive, nice weekend away, comfy safe motorway trips..

If I want rugged, basic and smiles I then take the Series III out Smile even the 110 feels nice after that.

If I were you can you try and get one on an extended test drive? for a weekend to see if it suits what you want of it? If buying second hand be sure what your looking at lots of base spec cars with the already 'old' engine being sold for strong asking prices.

Don't get me wrong I like them, its a Land rover after all, and maybe one day I will have one in the fleet but currently I'm more than happy I got to keep the 110 and add the FF

Lovely place to sit and waft along...

I hear you! FFRR is a dream, a bit too pricey and fancy for what we want, but the best for cruising for sure.
Great you got a good once, in right spec they are amazing!

Click image to enlarge
Post #887551 24th Feb 2021 8:30pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
^ I'm amazed by the fuel also between 36 mpg and 45 mpg so far !!

Its like driving round in a posh lounge as you watch all the other little cars rush about Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
Post #887552 24th Feb 2021 8:34pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
feniksss wrote:
Oldyellar wrote:

Late this year the FullFat, then prob next year new RRS but realistically end 22-23 I would think. And if its more of the same with more tech and more complicated screen based menus, that will put me off if anything.

Hard to see what they will improve in the new models, hybrids or similar really dont care...

I think given how complicated the new Def is with regard to infotainment and electronics, one can only suppose the new FFRR and RRS, will be equally complicated if not even more so as they will be aimed at a more ‘civilian’ biased market and will, in the case of the RRS be 2-3 years further down the evolution/development process. Doesn’t bode well. I love my Def dash. Dials, radio, clock. Sat Nav when needed otherwise stored in the cubby. Bliss Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #887666 25th Feb 2021 9:45am
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
^

You have a good point, using these features in modern cars can be very distracting.

If I want the heating on on the 'old' Defender I just turn a dial.

The newer cars you have to use a joy stick or touch screen find the heating options, go into menus decide which bit of the cabin you want heat, press buttons or click a dial round.... Its meant to be progress Smile

My wife's Mini we have had 3 years now and didn't even know on the informatics system for the sat nav you can 'type' letters on the mouse as it it was a screen to enter destinations.... ? all as your driving.... Shocked

Don't get me wrong from a safety point of view the new v's old cars are no contest but the electric and gubbins to make them work is getting a darker art.
Post #887670 25th Feb 2021 9:58am
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I'm not sure if it's relevant but one of our contractors bought a New Defender while he waited for his New RRS SVR to be built. However, when the RRS turned up he was so impressed with the Defender (and was offered such a good price for the RRS) he sent the RRS back and kept the Defender. James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #887671 25th Feb 2021 10:04am
feniksss

United Kingdom 
Stacey007 wrote:
^

You have a good point, using these features in modern cars can be very distracting.

If I want the heating on on the 'old' Defender I just turn a dial.

The newer cars you have to use a joy stick or touch screen find the heating options, go into menus decide which bit of the cabin you want heat, press buttons or click a dial round.... Its meant to be progress Smile

My wife's Mini we have had 3 years now and didn't even know on the informatics system for the sat nav you can 'type' letters on the mouse as it it was a screen to enter destinations.... ? all as your driving.... Shocked

Don't get me wrong from a safety point of view the new v's old cars are no contest but the electric and gubbins to make them work is getting a darker art.

Totally with you, mine is for use by parents, so even more so the digital advances in the form of screens only and complicated menus are not welcome.

Even myself i find contemplating the older RRS we had with a ton of dias, such a pleasure to use in any weather, good materials etc, that screen had tv and was way more usable than in the current model which i simply switch off most of the time... these cheapskate ipads instead of buttons are not a good trend IMHO, hence DEF looks a step back int his respect and more userfriendly
Post #887754 25th Feb 2021 3:41pm
feniksss

United Kingdom 
JOW240725 wrote:
I'm not sure if it's relevant but one of our contractors bought a New Defender while he waited for his New RRS SVR to be built. However, when the RRS turned up he was so impressed with the Defender (and was offered such a good price for the RRS) he sent the RRS back and kept the Defender.

WOW turning down an SVR is worth a mention)
very interesting! which engine is his DEF?
Post #887755 25th Feb 2021 3:43pm
Muddybigdog

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Hold RRS 16, await for the Grenadier to be released, back to back test drive with a Defender Jumped ship to reliability - Mitsubishi L200
Puma 90 XS - Sold
D3 - 2.7 S x2 (both Sold)
Freelander 2 HSE - Sold
Freelander 1 - Sold
Disco 2 - Sold
Post #887774 25th Feb 2021 4:29pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
feniksss wrote:
WOW turning down an SVR is worth a mention)
very interesting! which engine is his DEF?

I believe it was the P300 (smaller petrol version). He normally drives a RRS SVR and was changing to a new one.
I think the offer the dealer made to buy the new RRS back was obviously very attractive, but he was genuinely impressed with the New Defender and said it was really more practical on a daily basis on and off construction sites. He does have a nice prancing horse in the garage, so an outright sports car is covered. James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #887817 25th Feb 2021 7:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>