↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > RRS 16 swap for new DEF, new RRS, D5 or not bother?
Would you upgrade a 2016 RRS to...? and why/not?
New RRS TDv6
20%
 20%  [5]
New D5 TDv6
16%
 16%  [4]
Def TDv6
52%
 52%  [13]
Keep RRS 16 for now as not worth upgrading
8%
 8%  [2]
x5, q7 or GLE
4%
 4%  [1]
Total Votes: 25

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
feniksss

United Kingdom 
OK folks, finally had a short test drive of the DEF...

short because we got stuck... Yes we got stuck where any stock car with stock tires would get stuck. But to me thats the whole point, what I got away is that the DEF is no better than any other non-purposeful vehicule in serious conditions, and as such, I am thinking, whats the point...

Now, i did get about 10mins experience on tarmac and I have to say it was very much at home there, bulky, big and feeling Jeepy, but really good to drive. I had the D200 only, but the pull at low speed is great (surely the engine is tuned this way).
Then we got to the muddy offroad bit and it started sliding and going all over the place, but in a fun way (you can add power and control it that way). Then the manager offered some electronic mode for mud and suddenly all the fun was gone, all power is cut, it would slide all the same just you feel as passenger the vehicule, not a pedal operator anymore. Then for some reason we went to the side road which was pure mud, super slippery and I swapped myself out of the seat because there was no way in hell we would get out of there, steep falls on bothe sides of the road. One impressive thing was body control, id did look like the car could topple over at one point and electronics did the magic and it stabilised itself. I have the whole thing on video and cant help scrolling to that moment every time I watch.

Conclusions, I was left disappointed. One, because my test was cut very short. Two, because I dont get it why dealers sell there offroad tires to a customer to get stranded on regulars in mud (and tell their clients to go there).

Sitting in the recovery disco sport later, which is a very nice car compared to the one it replaced, would I want to own the the DEF just to find myself in the same situation in my own car. Then i remember a deep snow test I did a long time on Land rover testing ground. That time the defender went a few meters further than our test FFRR, and all 4 cars were pretty much neck in neck. I would go as far as saying that RRS or FFRR as pretty darn close and would challenge anything a 110 can do offroad apart from angled stuff, people just dont venture that far usually. But then, costing similarly, for someone who doesn't go offorad as a hobby, I reckon it has to be the new full fat or nothing.

PS I really like the looks and would fancy a used 90 at some point, but I doubt I would use it for serious offroad. Even the Wrangler seems more appealing for that. The old DEF with big tires has to be the man for that job, new DEF "TO ME" is very much a fashion statement, fecking cool but also useless compared to bigger brothers if you consider the price...
Post #888680 2nd Mar 2021 8:01pm
GreenMonster

United States 
I don’t see the poll telling you anything useful since each persons reasons could be different than yours. I considered a RRS, but bought a Defender purely because I want to tow an off road trailer on some long trips and wanted something a bit remote off roady and rugged inside and out but that could still ride comfortably on road. If I didn’t care about off road, and wanted a more luxury feel I would’ve bought an RRS. To me, if you have a 90% on road bias, and like a tighter handling road machine, and don’t really need the off road thing, then why bother with a Defender. It’s just not made for that.
Post #888698 2nd Mar 2021 8:51pm
DSL

United Kingdom 
It tells you what peeps think of the D5. Whistle Whistle

Snigger
Post #888709 2nd Mar 2021 9:17pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
There’s no TdV6 option on either Defender or Disco now.
Post #888713 2nd Mar 2021 9:31pm
feniksss

United Kingdom 
true, was meaning to say a six pot diesel, cheers
Post #888797 3rd Mar 2021 12:42pm
feniksss

United Kingdom 
test drove a touareg 3l diesel
not sure what makes it play in the same league as x5 for similar money

much more sedan-like feeling compared to land rovers, but without much fun attached, makes you wanna cruise quietly, which isnt a bad thing
Post #890855 11th Mar 2021 11:27pm
Farmerben

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
feniksss wrote:
OK folks, finally had a short test drive of the DEF...

short because we got stuck... Yes we got stuck where any stock car with stock tires would get stuck. But to me thats the whole point, what I got away is that the DEF is no better than any other non-purposeful vehicule in serious conditions, and as such, I am thinking, whats the point...

Now, i did get about 10mins experience on tarmac and I have to say it was very much at home there, bulky, big and feeling Jeepy, but really good to drive. I had the D200 only, but the pull at low speed is great (surely the engine is tuned this way).
Then we got to the muddy offroad bit and it started sliding and going all over the place, but in a fun way (you can add power and control it that way). Then the manager offered some electronic mode for mud and suddenly all the fun was gone, all power is cut, it would slide all the same just you feel as passenger the vehicule, not a pedal operator anymore. Then for some reason we went to the side road which was pure mud, super slippery and I swapped myself out of the seat because there was no way in hell we would get out of there, steep falls on bothe sides of the road. One impressive thing was body control, id did look like the car could topple over at one point and electronics did the magic and it stabilised itself. I have the whole thing on video and cant help scrolling to that moment every time I watch.

Conclusions, I was left disappointed. One, because my test was cut very short. Two, because I dont get it why dealers sell there offroad tires to a customer to get stranded on regulars in mud (and tell their clients to go there).

Sitting in the recovery disco sport later, which is a very nice car compared to the one it replaced, would I want to own the the DEF just to find myself in the same situation in my own car. Then i remember a deep snow test I did a long time on Land rover testing ground. That time the defender went a few meters further than our test FFRR, and all 4 cars were pretty much neck in neck. I would go as far as saying that RRS or FFRR as pretty darn close and would challenge anything a 110 can do offroad apart from angled stuff, people just dont venture that far usually. But then, costing similarly, for someone who doesn't go offorad as a hobby, I reckon it has to be the new full fat or nothing.

PS I really like the looks and would fancy a used 90 at some point, but I doubt I would use it for serious offroad. Even the Wrangler seems more appealing for that. The old DEF with big tires has to be the man for that job, new DEF "TO ME" is very much a fashion statement, fecking cool but also useless compared to bigger brothers if you consider the price...

I know the looks of the D5 are a bit divisive but spec a D300 HSE alongside a similar 110 and it seems exceptional value. I'm not sure side by side what a new 110 and D5 are like off road (not that the majority of buyers will even get close to the limit) but if they can both get around a Land Rover Experience track, chances are with the right tyres and some experience things will be just fine. https://instagram.com/bentheoandrews
Post #891286 14th Mar 2021 10:31am
IRBails

Australia 
feniksss wrote:
test drove a touareg 3l diesel
not sure what makes it play in the same league as x5 for similar money

much more sedan-like feeling compared to land rovers, but without much fun attached, makes you wanna cruise quietly, which isnt a bad thing

You need to drive the V8 diesel that is a different beast!
Post #892010 17th Mar 2021 12:59am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12