↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Has all production of all models stopped?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 10 of 11 <123 ... 91011>
Print this entire topic · 
cyberhusky

Luxembourg 
According to Gartner chip shortage at least till 2022
More infos here

https://www.theregister.com/2021/05/12/gartner_shortage/ 22MY Defender 110 (actual) | 10MY Freelander 2 (history) | 15MY Discovery Sport HSE (history)
Post #902784 12th May 2021 9:50pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green

Click image to enlarge
Post #902799 13th May 2021 6:00am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Works ok here:

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #902809 13th May 2021 7:54am
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Works for me too. I believe the Register has special 'geek' filters so that only the 'right sort' can enter. Very Happy
Post #902881 13th May 2021 4:22pm
Tim in Scotland

I think Cyberhusky missed out part of the formatting or address because I got the 404 message cartoon like Supercat yesterday but this morning straight to the linked website Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #902904 13th May 2021 6:31pm
cyberhusky

Luxembourg 
I checked the link after I posted it and it seemed to work. Perhaps The Register was servicing their system. Don't know. I hope the link works for everybody. 22MY Defender 110 (actual) | 10MY Freelander 2 (history) | 15MY Discovery Sport HSE (history)
Post #902927 13th May 2021 8:33pm
Supacat

It seems a long way from May to early July:

deaston wrote:

Click image to enlarge

"Tata Motors tanks as JLR issues profit warning over chip shortage
An ongoing global shortage in semi-conductor chips is going to lead to a 50 per cent decline in production for Jaguar Land Rover in the September quarter as the automobile maker struggles to make alternative arrangements, the luxury carmaker said in a press note.

The company is currently focusing on the production of high-margin vehicles for the chips currently available and making chip- and product-specific changes wherever possible.

“In the scenario above, we expect an operating cash outflow of about 1 billion pound sterling with a negative EBIT margin in the second quarter. "

https://m.economictimes.com/markets/compan...168361.cms

" Encouragingly, the Company continues to see strong demand for its products when semiconductor supply ultimately improves. The Company presently has about 110,000 global retail orders, the highest in the history of the company, representing 3 months of sales cover, with 5 months in Europe and 4 months in the UK. Orders for the Defender alone total over 29,000, representing over 4 months cover."

https://media.jaguarlandrover.com/news/202...tor-supply

And it seems markets have been caught out by what JLR have been saying:

"On Tuesday afternoon, Tata Motors Ltd shares were cruising along near their 52-week highs, as if problems such as chip shortages were minor speed bumps. But investors were in for a rude shock, when the company issued a profit warning owing to the ongoing chip shortage issue.

It said the cash balance at Jaguar Land Rover stood at £3.7 billion at the end of Q1, which compares with a balance of £4.8 billion in end-March. What’s more, it said the chip shortage situation is worsening, which will lead to a cash outflow of £1 billion in the September quarter as well. That amounts to a huge 44% hit on its cash position, something that investors evidently didn’t see coming. In all, operating cash outflow is estimated at roughly $2.9 billion."

https://www.livemint.com/market/mark-to-ma...29678.html
Post #910994 6th Jul 2021 12:57pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
How long before we see the first car manufacturer bring out the Bugsey Malone pedal car special……hopefully with a fully loaded splurge gun presented in a black violin case as well….. Whistle
Post #911001 6th Jul 2021 2:54pm
J77

Scotland 
It wouldn’t be that hard to bring out a proper base spec Defender with no touch screen or digital dash and no TR only low range. I’m sure they’d find a few homes. 23.5MY 90 D250 X-Dynamic SE, Pangea Green
Gone - 23MY 110 D250 XS Edition, Hakuba Silver
Gone - 21MY 90 D200 S, Tasman Blue, Fuji White roof.
Post #911002 6th Jul 2021 3:06pm
peanutbob

United Kingdom 
Acc to my dealer today, the Nitra plant has restarted after 2 weeks shutdown....I have a 110 down there awaiting a part before it gets shipped later this month. Possibly.
Post #911035 6th Jul 2021 5:45pm
Supacat

Interesting to read "Ford considers shipping cars lacking chips for dealers to complete"

"Ford is considering changing its strategy to mitigate the excess of unfinished vehicles piled up in company-owned parcels nationwide so that assembly plants can stay up and running. By moving the vehicle essentially now, Ford can deliver them to the customer’s hands more quickly when the chips are ready, instead of shipping them in bulk at a later date."

" The company sought to mitigate the crisis by focusing on bespoke orders and offering buyers a $ 1,000 discount if they place orders that will be fulfilled at a later date."

https://autobala.com/ford-considers-shippi...-3/105411/
Post #912622 16th Jul 2021 5:20am
SN

ha ha can you see local dealerships fitting pcb's/chips after the event - I'm going to suggest that every vehicle's assembly design would need revisiting to even allow this to happen Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)
Post #912660 16th Jul 2021 10:53am
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
J77 wrote:
It wouldn’t be that hard to bring out a proper base spec Defender with no touch screen or digital dash and no TR only low range. I’m sure they’d find a few homes.

Unfortunately more things need chips than you realise, its not always the main manufacture thats impacted...dont look how many chips are needed per headlight cluster on some models. Mike
Post #912669 16th Jul 2021 11:39am
Supacat

"The British luxury-car maker has set up a “full-time mission control center” to manage the issue, Chief Financial Officer Adrian Mardell said"

"One of JLR’s suppliers of critical parts was “by far the biggest component” of shortages last quarter, Mardell said on the call. He didn’t identify the company but did say the dispute could lead to litigation.

“It would be very sad if this actually went to the point of a legal action, of course, but we expect an equal entitlement and we don’t feel that in the first quarter we received that,” Mardell said. “Those are the discussions were having with them.”

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/jaguar-sets-miss...51563.html

Not sure if it's realistic to expect equal treatment with manufacturers who are spending many multiples of what you are with chip suppliers?
Post #914236 27th Jul 2021 11:23am
Supacat

So what's next... magnesium. Thud

"BERLIN/LONDON, Nov 8 (Reuters) - European automakers reeling from a global chip shortage have in recent days hastened to assure shareholders that shortages of magnesium are not, for now, a risk to their production plans.

However, car part suppliers and industry associations warn that if production in China, which accounts for 85% of global magnesium supply, does not pick up pace soon, automakers could be facing significant shortfalls of the material."

"Volkswagen's (VOWG_p.DE) head of purchasing in an earnings call said a shortage was expected.

"We cannot forecast right now if the shortage on magnesium, which will happen definitely according to planning, will be bigger than the semiconductor shortage," Volkswagen's Murat Aksel said.

China's magnesium output is about 50% of normal levels, industry sources said, as soaring coal prices and energy rationing prompted smelters to cut or shut down operations.

China has allowed some magnesium producers to resume output, but not by enough to significantly ease the shortage. Prices have retreated from record highs but they are still more than double the levels in January."

"We are very concerned this is going to impact us in a couple of weeks," Jonathan O'Riordan, head of Europe's automobile manufacturer association ACEA, told Reuters.

"It's the calm before the storm," said Teresa Schad, a spokesperson for Germany's metal association, WV Metalle."

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-tra...021-11-08/

So that's gearboxes, steering wheels and the bulkhead cross beam, amongst other things?
Post #929073 8th Nov 2021 3:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 10 of 11 <123 ... 91011>