↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Has all production of all models stopped?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 9 of 11 <123 ... 8 91011>
Print this entire topic · 
J77

Scotland 
It’s a 90, there’s not much going in that boot Laughing 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #885034 12th Feb 2021 6:10pm
deaston

United Kingdom 
Got an unsolicited call from my dealer yesterday to confirm it goes to build in a couple of weeks and should arrive in the UK a few weeks after that.

So pleased I deleted Facebook years ago so I no longer see all the pointless rubbish posted on there!
Post #885807 16th Feb 2021 8:11am
DSL

United Kingdom 
Wonder how the Germans closing the Czech border, plus a chunk of the Austrian border, will impact deliveries?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/02/1...n-borders/

Germany sparks row after closing Czech and Austrian borders over virus mutations

A diplomatic row has broken out after Germany closed its borders with the Czech Republic and the Austrian region of Tyrol in a bid to prevent the spread of coronavirus mutations.

France warned Germany not to take any similar measures at its border without consulting Paris first as Austria accused Angela Merkel’s government of a “provocation”.

The Austrian government summoned the German ambassador at the weekend to protest what it described as “unnecessary measures that do more harm than good”, and German carmakers have warned the closures could lead to delays in the supply of parts and force a slowdown at their factories.

There were reports of three-hour queues at the border between Germany and the Czech Republic on Monday after the closures went into effect , and almost 5,000 people had been turned away by early afternoon.

Only German citizens, foreign residents and essential workers are currently allowed to cross the border — and they must have a negative PCR test no more than 48 hours old. There are no exceptions for regular cross-border commuters.

Germany ordered the closures last week amid concern at the high incidence in the Czech Republic and Tyrol of newer coronavirus variants that are feared to be more infectious.

While the worst delays have been at the German-Czech border, it is the restrictions with Austria that have caused the bigger row. Vienna, which has already imposed internal travel restrictions on Tyrol, argues the move is excessive.

“The corona pandemic and its effects must be dealt with at an objective level. Pointing the finger at the state of Tyrol is more of a provocation than a suitable measure to contain the pandemic,” Karl Nehammer, the Austrian interior minister said.

The region is at the crossroads of Europe, and even Slovakia, which has no border with Germany, has protested at the knock-on effect for its supply chains.

There is speculation Germany could order a similar move at its border with France after the region of Moselle recorded a high incidence of the South African variant.

Clement Beaune, the French Europe minister, called on Monday for discussions with German regional leaders “to avoid any nasty surprises”, adding: “There must be no decision that is not coordinated”.

“Controls in the heart of Europe are always the last resort, an absolute exception,” Horst Seehofer, the German interior minister, said. “We will get back to normal as soon as possible, but at the moment the controls are necessary to protect our health.”

“The fear of coronavirus mutations is understandable, but the truth is that the virus cannot be stopped by closed borders, Stella Kyriakides, the European Union's health commissioner said.

But her comments were dismissed by Stephan Mayer, Mr Seehofer’s deputy at the German interior ministry, who said: “Germany doesn’t need any instructions from Brussels”.
Post #885817 16th Feb 2021 9:40am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Pretty sure that within Schengen it doesn’t affect freight. These will be private road users. Clearly this may have an impact on ‘frontalières’ (people who live in one country but work across the border in another), hence the various exemptions the Germans have included, but not hauliers. The slow down at German factories will likely be from staffing problems rather than supply of materials. This is not the same type of closure which the French imposed at Dover/Calais in December. The arrival of your cars should continue unimpeded. Whether their production will be affected by workforce issues is another matter altogether, but once off the assembly line they should zip their Merry way across Europe to Blighty. Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #885818 16th Feb 2021 9:50am
Ronin

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 ST Keswick Green
Spoke to my dealer again this afternoon (D300 HSE).

My order (dated 3 February) is still in a holding pool, together with approximately 17 other orders placed with that dealership. It looks like a fairly mixed bag of orders being held up, including PHEVs and MHEVs, station wagon and commercial. I didn't think to ask about whether any 90s were included.

His gut feel is that the pool is related to the MY21.5 > MY22 switchover (which is not unexpected at this time of year), and a possible dropping of the First Edition. He anticipated a few minor detail changes beyond that - colours or wheels becoming or ceasing to be available, for example. He thought that it might push my delivery into June, but not into late summer or autumn as reported by user The_hog.

All as reported by my dealer. I've never been a member of Facebook Whistle

Appreciate a more cynical man might question the words of someone with a vested interest, but I've no specific reason to doubt him, or the dealership in general.

Joel Thumbs Up
Post #885897 16th Feb 2021 4:44pm
Tim in Scotland

It might also be being held because that dealer has sold his quarterly allocation of Defenders and cannot order more until there is more allocation available. You would need somebody to cancel their order to move up the list. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #885924 16th Feb 2021 6:28pm
Ronin

Damnit, there goes my faith in humanity!
Post #886029 17th Feb 2021 8:34am
Ronin

Double post. I can't lose it all twice in such quick succession.
Post #886030 17th Feb 2021 8:34am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Tim in Scotland wrote:
It might also be being held because that dealer has sold his quarterly allocation of Defenders and cannot order more until there is more allocation available. You would need somebody to cancel their order to move up the list.

Ask dealer if this is true; and if so ask them to speak with another dealer with allocation; if they won't just ring another dealer up who has allocation?
Post #886052 17th Feb 2021 9:26am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
deaston wrote:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Not sure how to add images. But these are screenshots from the Automotive News article. Nothing really worth reading.

Click image to enlarge

Saying a little more now.

"Nissan is leaving navigation systems out of thousands of vehicles that typically would have them because of the shortages. Ram no longer offers its 1500 pickups with a standard "intelligent" rearview mirror that monitors for blind spots. Renault has stopped offering an oversized digital screen behind the steering wheel on its Arkana SUV. "

"Automakers are also building vehicles with less technology.

Peugeot is going back to old-fashioned analog speedometers for its 308 hatchbacks, rather than use digital versions that need hard-to-find chips.
General Motors said it built some Chevrolet Silverado pickup trucks without a certain fuel-economy module, costing drivers about 1 mile (1.6 km) per gallon (4.5 liters).
Nissan is cutting the number of vehicles with pre-installed navigation systems by about a third, according to a person familiar with the matter."

"The fact that major car-chip makers NXP, Infineon Technologies and Renesas Electronics account for just 40 percent of supply, with the remaining 60 percent split between tens of thousands of smaller designers. Those smaller players often lack the influence to get their chips manufactured at foundries when capacity is tight."

Most worrying:

" In at least one case, automakers are asking a major chipmaker to send microcontrollers that do not meet standard specifications, a person familiar with the matter said. Those sub-standard chips would not jeopardize safety essentials, like brakes, the person said, but they could mean in-car entertainment or emissions monitoring systems are more likely to malfunction in extreme weather."

https://europe.autonews.com/suppliers/chip...d-features
Post #901743 6th May 2021 6:14pm
Digger2000

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Other HT Tonga Green
Someone in the fb group has just said Castle Bromwich and Halewood factory’s are to remain shut until sometime in the summer (they were due to reopen next week). Also the PHEV P400e models have been put back again, well his has so I’m not sure if all P400e’s are delayed further.
Post #902069 8th May 2021 8:19pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
It was suggested to me from Ford salesman than due to chip shortage deliveries are now likely to be end of year. thats a circa 20wk increase?
I got in 'just' in time. how much truth is in that I have no idea?
Post #902138 9th May 2021 11:16am
Tim in Scotland

Cannot stand this guy but he occasionally comes up with some interesting videos.
Here’s his take on why there is a chip shortage.
 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #902648 12th May 2021 9:11am
cyberhusky

Luxembourg 
Chip shortage has several issues:
Begining Corona: most car companies (the big ones) stopped ordering ICs, because everyone was in lockdown so no one buys cars (no one is moving aropund, plus no money because of loosing job or homeoffice)
These missing orders where directly filled by orders from computer companies: Microsoft, Dell, HP, Apple etc. they did need to produce more computer, smartphones, iPads, Playstations, Xbox… to fulfull the climbing orders for homeoffice and lockdown.
Plus orders for medical devices.

CHIP producers were very fast at their limits. Plus the storm and winter destroying Samsung production (Texas), fire stopping Japanese production. TSMC is one of then biggest producers, they told issues won't solved till 2023 and later.

Because the orders missing for car makers, they won't get these orders back so easily: The computer companies do pay a lot in advance to have secured their orders. Normally Apple buys complete stock years in advance and do pay nearly (cash) all the production so that other companies won't get the same chips or quantity (thus blocking others from selling large quantities).

The same is happening to the car industry: Peugeot is no more building digital dashboards only analog ones, Nissan is leaving away the nav systems etc. Many car producers (VW, Mercedes, Audi…) do implement less quality chips for non security parts. So navigation or media playback will have issues.

Apparently Land Rover is producing so few cars compared to others, stopping their CPU productions won't help other car makers, so they will continue to get their chips.

OTOH reducing production artificially and the demand stays high, will make climbing CPU prices BitCoin-wise. 22MY Defender 110 (actual) | 10MY Freelander 2 (history) | 15MY Discovery Sport HSE (history)
Post #902649 12th May 2021 9:35am
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Makes me love my TD5 90 HT that much more……… Very Happy
Post #902650 12th May 2021 9:54am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 9 of 11 <123 ... 8 91011>