↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Humans never fail to amaze
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Mike c

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
Supermarket car parks really get me, the driving is shocking, people blindly exit quickly out of spaces without even looking for pedestrians/other vehicles then expect you to let them out Twisted Evil

Others, or the same people drive too fast given the busy nature of a car park totally complacent, but then that tends to be common on the roads these days too...
Post #880174 22nd Jan 2021 6:52pm
macfrank

Germany 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
discomog wrote:
This is just one of those phenomena that cannot be explained. You just have to walk away and hope that one day some post graduate decides to base his PhD thesis on this as yet unexplained part of human behaviour and then you'll have your answer.

A friend of mine has this theory: the sum of all the sh*t happening in the Universe is constant. Hence, if one driver parks in THE optimal spot, there has to be another one parking in the worst possible spot. Otherwise the Universe would implode.
Smile
Post #880180 22nd Jan 2021 7:21pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Mike c wrote:
Supermarket car parks really get me, the driving is shocking, people blindly exit quickly out of spaces without even looking for pedestrians/other vehicles then expect you to let them out Twisted Evil

Others, or the same people drive too fast given the busy nature of a car park totally complacent, but then that tends to be common on the roads these days too...

Couldn't agree more. I tend to put my foot down on the open roads, but I always drive really slowly around supermarket car parks.

It shocks me how fast people fly around in these car parks. Not only is there the risk of them smashing into some other clown who pulls out of a space without checking (or assuming there electronic collision avoidance alarm will kick in), but there is also a high risk of children running about as their parents struggle with loaded shopping bags and trollies.
Post #880184 22nd Jan 2021 7:42pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
Whats the mystery - its a French driver - can't drive & can't park.

Keith
Post #880192 22nd Jan 2021 8:59pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
discomog wrote:
This is just one of those phenomena that cannot be explained. You just have to walk away and hope that one day some post graduate decides to base his PhD thesis on this as yet unexplained part of human behaviour and then you'll have your answer.

A mate of mine does this. His theory is if he parks next to a nicer car then his will be less likely to be the one broken into. Plus the owner will also be more careful when opening their door.

Of course the owner in Grenadier's photo may have been applying parking rules and forgot they hadn't taken the Defender that day. WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #880205 22nd Jan 2021 9:49pm
Muddybigdog

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
It’s the same people why manufacturers have to print DO NOT DRINK THE BLEECH and that the packet of peanuts have CONTAINS NUTS printed on them. Jumped ship to reliability - Mitsubishi L200
Puma 90 XS - Sold
D3 - 2.7 S x2 (both Sold)
Freelander 2 HSE - Sold
Freelander 1 - Sold
Disco 2 - Sold
Post #880223 22nd Jan 2021 10:57pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I have to say, looking at this again, I think I would have had to have stopped them to ask their thinking behind that parking. It really does beggar belief! James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #880226 22nd Jan 2021 11:22pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Zed wrote:
discomog wrote:

A mate of mine does this. His theory is if he parks next to a nicer car then his will be less likely to be the one broken into. Plus the owner will also be more careful when opening their door.

Of course the owner in Grenadier's photo may have been applying parking rules and forgot they hadn't taken the Defender that day.

Yes there is a theory here... Parking to avoid damage, parking next to a car to work out of you will be back before then so they won't open a door into you etc

Doesn't explain the first picture but does off parking habits. Getting the right spot is important especially when you care about your car Mike
Post #880233 23rd Jan 2021 1:28am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Some good answers and anecdotes. I certainly didn't think it was unique. Could be 'because he's French' but equally could be Blackwolf's thinking that he was parking his SWMBO's car, as she was there too. (Mrs Grenadier liked that, she does it a lot when I'm driving her TT).

Unfortunately I can't complete the story in photographic style, but when we returned the Seat was gone and replaced by another car. This one was positioned towards the far end of the carpark, but still plonked in the middle of the space a few car lengths from each edge of the carpark and at a completely random angle. It almost looked liked they had driven to the far end, committed to a large, sweeping loop to come back on themselves, only to stop half way through the turn, get out and walk off. Two in one day. Whistle Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #880251 23rd Jan 2021 9:28am
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
I like the comment regards people parking next to nice cars doing so because the owner of the nice car is less likely to bang theirs.

I tend to worry less in the defender as the side steps ward off most bangs and defenders wear them well, however in my 1 series if there is space I always park away from the masses who park with the least walking to do.

Often I come back to a knacker parked next to to my car, this has to be deliberate?, or another tidy well looked after car, despite lots of space, from previous posts now I can understand this, but its not something I do.

In full car parks I avoid battered cars as most people care less the more scars a car gets, cars with disabled badges, 1 because of the wheel chairs, sticks and often unstable balance of the owners, that has them using your car as a prop. SWMBO works in a hospital and I am her taxi , I watch people in hospital car parks they are the worst for bashing other peoples cars, I assume they have other more important things on their minds than other peoples cars.

I also avoid kiddi carriers and family buses, busy moms just don't give a fig about other peoples cars, I have even seen them putting their stuff on other peoples bonnets and roofs whilst looking for keys or a dummy or something in their bags DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #880254 23rd Jan 2021 9:48am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I have found the if the Defender is plastered in mud people give it a wide berth, if it's clean they'll park very close.
Post #880265 23rd Jan 2021 10:15am
Grenadier

I wish to caveat what I'm about to say, before I say it. I live in France. I love France. I have many French friends. I like be the French for many reasons. But hands down the nationality that cares least about damaging other cars in a car park is the French. Hands down.

For some it's merely that they don't care about material possessions as that's very 'bourgeois' and very un-French, but for others it's a sport. Leading on from the dislike of material wealth, let alone flaunting it by having a nice car etc, there are some who are actively envious and take shoulder-shrugging pleasure in dinking, scraping, scratching a nice car as they park and get in/out of theirs. And woe betitde you have a plate that indicates you're a Parisien, that's like a red rag to a bull. Mrs Grenadier, despite her best efforts, regularly gets pinged. Big Cry Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #880267 23rd Jan 2021 10:19am
Grenadier

blackwolf wrote:
I have found the if the Defender is plastered in mud people give it a wide berth, if it's clean they'll park very close.

I do have a theory on parking next to 'nice' cars. A genuine one. I think people (maybe not all of course, many exceptions to this theory on this forum alone) will drive around a car park in a bit of a haze and will absorb what is going on subconsciously. This will include vehicle types. But in their subconscious, unless they absolutely DO NOT CARE about cars, their brain will trigger as and when they see a nice one. Just as we will if we see a snapshot of a nice view amongst many views, a beautiful person amongst many average people, a striking building amongst etc etc etc. You get my point. I think we filter out the average and the below average, and spot the nice things. They attract out attention, consciously or subconsciously. So, if the driver's mind has been attracted to something that is nice, whether they actually recognise the fact or not, and there's a free bay next to them, they'll head towards that bay. They will then, for reasons mentioned above, be unlikely to change that decision when consciousness takes over as they feel the owner of a nice car will take more care of vehicles around their own than those with a tatty car. It's a win win. So I think the nice car triggers an instinctive reaction in someone that pulls their attention towards it and by default the empty space beside them. The same could be said of a crowded tube or train. If you're scanning for a seat and your eye passes over an attractive person of the opposite sex, I'd suggest you would spot the empty seat next to them before other empty seats in the carriage. Of course choosing to sit next to said attractive person is just lecherous. Whistle Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #880273 23rd Jan 2021 10:34am
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
The more you look at this image the truer it gets..

For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #880321 23rd Jan 2021 2:46pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
I wish to caveat what I'm about to say, before I say it. I live in France. I love France. I have many French friends. I like be the French for many reasons. But hands down the nationality that cares least about damaging other cars in a car park is the French. Hands down.

For some it's merely that they don't care about material possessions as that's very 'bourgeois' and very un-French, but for others it's a sport. Leading on from the dislike of material wealth, let alone flaunting it by having a nice car etc, there are some who are actively envious and take shoulder-shrugging pleasure in dinking, scraping, scratching a nice car as they park and get in/out of theirs. And woe betitde you have a plate that indicates you're a Parisien, that's like a red rag to a bull. Mrs Grenadier, despite her best efforts, regularly gets pinged. Big Cry

100% true and totally agree with all above, if we use the CHR for shopping, its always left in the furthest most protected corner of Leclerc's car park.
Post #880381 23rd Jan 2021 7:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12