↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Stolen > Security enhancements
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Speedytrail

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Aintree Green
Security enhancements
So my first 90 was stolen within 3 months of ownership and 15 yrs later i have bought another (took nearly that long for me to get over it) so what are the best security enhancements? I am thinking trackers/GPS transmitters, as any alarm type solution is too easy to overcome so if they are going to nick it then so be it but tracking it down has to be the best option these days?
Post #876537 6th Jan 2021 12:09am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
There are lots of physical security measures available, which all add to the layered approach of making it more hard work than worth it to steal. If you take a look at my build thread here, part way down the first post are links to some of the security measures that I've added:

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic60413.html

In addition, if you put 'security' into the site search facility, it will bring up lots of threads as this is a common question. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #876548 6th Jan 2021 6:30am
stew 46

England 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Bonatti Grey
It is a worry , I try and park my van or our Volvo behind it in the drive but then it’s a pain in the butt in the morning if I need it for work , the big peddle lock is a pain but I still put it on 95% of the time , I’m also thinking tracker Thumbs Up

Stew
Post #876550 6th Jan 2021 6:50am
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Garage it when you can, block it in and throw as many layers of security at it that you can afford. And don't forget security in the form of driveway alarms, CCTV and security bollards. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #876559 6th Jan 2021 8:27am
astroarcadia

Bulldog steering wheel lock.
Post #876636 6th Jan 2021 12:53pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Re: Security enhancements
Speedytrail wrote:
So my first 90 was stolen within 3 months of ownership and 15 yrs later i have bought another (took nearly that long for me to get over it) so what are the best security enhancements? I am thinking trackers/GPS transmitters, as any alarm type solution is too easy to overcome so if they are going to nick it then so be it but tracking it down has to be the best option these days?

I had mine stolen 2 years ago, and the best tip i can give you is redouble the security where it will be parked during the night, Me and my dad put in Ram Bars on the front of our drive way, just to give them one more thing to deal with. CCTV is only as good as what you pay for, but if the cameras fog up on you and they know that there is cctv, which these Censored did. Its as good as a trying to make a brew with a water proof Tea bag. Give them some hard barriers to get through, and that goes for the defender too, My replacement i redoubled the security on it and so did my dad on his too. Just to add that extra pain to them. But christ knows what we will do if we catch them at it again on our property . Thumbs Up Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #879009 17th Jan 2021 1:06am
Leamreject

Italy 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Fuji White
Removing it from general sight is the best deterrent.

You can fit as many security devices as you wish, the determined will get past them and probably be in your home holding you at weapon point until they get what they want.

Be real, your life is more valuable..... reasonable precaution is essential but don’t encourage them to engage with you or your loved ones.

So your security device, however annoying, needs to make a lot of noise, enough noise to draw attention of people outside of your property. The more people visibly witnessing it the better. Cameras don’t really do anything other than quietly record detail and thieves really don’t care.

If you have ever encountered someone holding a knife to your wife’s throat in your bedroom at night while you are unlocking your vehicle and handing the keys over to them, you will know what I mean Ride like you stole it!!
If I’m not on a bike it’s because only a 4x4 will do…
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #879013 17th Jan 2021 6:41am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
HK07

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Cairns Blue
Christ, has that happened to you over a car? 2007 90 Puma - Love it - Best car I have ever owned.

1989 Ninety 200tdi - Love it - Second best car I have ever owned.

1951 80" Series 1 - Love it - Third best car I have ever owned.
Post #879063 17th Jan 2021 11:21am
Leamreject

Italy 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Fuji White
Two neighbours, one at knife point the other not so bad just pushed the front door in and asked for the keys. And this is normally a quiet village... Censored

I am a real believer that you can’t let these scum bags get away with it, so take reasonable precautions, but I ended up selling my shotguns to prevent me from being as bad if anyone tried..... Banging Head Ride like you stole it!!
If I’m not on a bike it’s because only a 4x4 will do…
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #879070 17th Jan 2021 12:10pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
This seems a novel solution.

"The SkunkLock is a motorcycle lock that fights back!

The SkunkLock features a hollow structure within the ‘D’ that is filled with pressurised gas.

When a thief tries to grind or break a SkunkLock, a very potent, though non-toxic and legally compliant formula escapes from the lock exposing itself to the thief. Once the compound is airborne, sight may be compromised, breathing becomes difficult, and a lot of time vomiting is induced.

SkunkLock’s makers claim the concoction to be ‘non-toxic and legally compliant' "

https://www.visordown.com/news/general/sku...ights-back
Post #890076 9th Mar 2021 7:50am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
^^ Interesting. That is a similar idea to one I have had for some time to discourage villains from cutting the locks out of pedal locks - incorporating a pressure vessel round the lock under the front plate, charged with something either like CS gas or highly flammable.
Post #890115 9th Mar 2021 9:55am
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
You could also double up with the trip wire shot gun alarm but make sure you only use blank cartridges. It's sure to wake the neighbours and scare the hell out of the scroats at the same time. Readily available for sale on Amazon along with blank cartridges.

Better than a proper shotgun as you won't finish up serving five years if you catch them in the act. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #890156 9th Mar 2021 12:00pm
andydef90

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
just layer up on your security pedal lock alarm the more you have on the better .
time is a big factor the longer it takes more chance of getting caught
Post #890192 9th Mar 2021 1:15pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
I hope I do not offend anyone, but I am not against countries where theft is punishable by amputation.

So if you are one of those unlucky persons who had their pride and joy (or whatever item) stolen, you paid your income tax for your hard earned cash, you paid your tax when you bought your pride an joy, and that tax goes to maintain the prisons for the scoundrel who took everything away from you!! 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #890194 9th Mar 2021 1:16pm
andydef90

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
just a pointer about the skunklock i love the idea however it brings to mind some years ago at a school i worked at someone broke in to the building did a huge amount of damage .
the alarm alerted myself and the head when i arrived
he was still in the building and had seen me driving in .
he ran out of the build the same way through the broken glass cutting himself very badly and ended up in hospital.
so what's my point
he tried to sue the school and myself saying if i had not arrived and scared him in to running out through the glass he would not get cut has bad has he had .
and he school for the glass not been to the standard it should have been
i can just imagine the scumbag trying to sue the owner of a skunklock because it caused him harm and in the uk it would be taken seriously ,
after all the victim has less rights than the criminal in that type of event because harm had been caused sad states of affair
Post #890197 9th Mar 2021 1:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>