↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > 19J Experts help needed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
19J Experts help needed
Doing a restoration of a 1988 90 diesel turbo, 19J engine.
I know it is not the best engine Landrover ever made, but I want o keep originality of the 90. I have read a lot of horror stories of cracked pistons, cracked blocks, and cracked cylinder heads. I have not yet opened mine to investigate.

My engine from 1988 is with engine number 19J114xxx.
I read somewhere at at the end of the production life of the 19J, Landrover made some improvements to the engine block and it is said that the later ones are a bit better than the earlier ones. The changes apparently where roughly from engine number 19J15xxxx.

Today I came across an engine which looks to be the later one (I could not read the engine number). But the bell housing adaptor looks like it is same as the 200tdi adaptor (has external webs, mine externally is very smooth). Another difference I have noted is that the breather from the back side of the engine block goes into the rocker cover, while mine, that breather hose goes to the oil filler cap (mine has 2 hoses on the oil filler cap).

So my question is the difference mentioned above, it is enough to say that it is the later engine with the stronger block?

Not sure if the price is too steep at about 350 (although it is complete with alternator, starter, turbo, injection pump and even power steering pump), but all are of unknown history. I cannot test the engine.

What would you do? Negotiate a better price for what could become a mooring weight for my boat, or ask to take head off for a close inspection and then pay full price if satisfactory? 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #876265 4th Jan 2021 6:17pm
Dinnu

Adding picture of my 19J, showing the breather hose from the back of the engine block, going above the rocker cover and to the oil fill cap. There is another connection for a hose from the oil fill cap to the air filter.

Click image to enlarge

I found this pic on the internet. Shows different layout of the breather hose that connects to the rocker cover same as the engine I can purchase.

Click image to enlarge
 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
Post #876277 4th Jan 2021 6:50pm
Sicastle71

England 1999 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Alaska White
If I remember correctly the later engines had improved cyclonic breathers. Yes I believe the later engines were strengthened the weakness in the engine was mainly the oil control rings that would wear and cause the engine to breathe heavy this would then cause oil to sit in the inlet manifold and pool then at full boost cause a runaway.
Post #876341 4th Jan 2021 10:43pm
Dinnu

Thank you Sicastle71.

Since these engines are getting scarce, I might take the plunge (with a blindfold)! 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
Post #876356 5th Jan 2021 7:09am
Sicastle71

Yes engines are scarce now they are just a strengthened 2,5na with a turbo really pretty simple and as long as they are well looked after should be pretty reliable
Post #876464 5th Jan 2021 6:48pm
Dinnu

Took the head off. I was not expecting to find a perfect engine, but number 4 piston was about to cave in. The other 3 pistons are all badly cracked.

Click image to enlarge

Head is also cracked on each cylinder between the inlet and exhaust valves. Hotplugs are cracked as well.

Click image to enlarge

Cylinders 2 and 3 are very oily, with a lot of oil residue and carbon build up. #1 a bit less.

Click image to enlarge

I see that the head gasket failed between cylinder and push rod holes for #2 and #3 and somewhat on #1 cylinder as well, so think is the cause of the carbon build up.

Click image to enlarge

I have no idea how this engine was still running, albeit low on power. No wonder the oil is a bid dark Whistle

On a positive note, the bore seems to be ok, not a lot of wear. Bores seem to be a bit glazed / polished though. Still some cross hatching.

Really unsure what to do with the head. And really afraid that getting another second hand engine might be not better than what I have. Sigh. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
Post #877180 8th Jan 2021 9:52pm
Sicastle71

If the valves are ok a na head should fit in place although the valves are a different construction so you would need to swap them over. Pretty simple engine would look at either a rebore or deglazing new pistons and rings. The cracks are due to thermal stresses so you could retrofit a tdi intercooler this would keep the thermal stress to a minimum
Post #877439 10th Jan 2021 11:46am
Dinnu

Yes Sicastle71.
I want to look for a good head. Indeed, the 19J had Nimonic steel exhaust valves. Not sure if mine are fit to re use. They look a bit worn to my untrained eye. Probably cheap enough to replace, or perhaps re grind if possible, then I know I have the correct material. There is no pitting, just the valve where it meets the valve seat is a bit concave.

As I am also posting on my rebuild thread, https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic72365-105.html (jump to pg8), I found that there are 2 swirl chamber sizes. Have no idea if that is correct. An online shop is stating 34mm diameter swirl chamber for 12J and 36mm swirl chamber for the 19J.

Quote from that thread:
Dinnu wrote:
Hi Darren,

Are you perhaps confusing it with the 10J from the series vehicles? Those were with chain driven camshafts, and injection pump driven off the cam shaft. 12J was belt driven, with injection pump driven with the timing belt, and a vacuum pump in place where the injection pump was on the 10J.

My casting is HRC1474..
And so is this: https://www.athousakis.gr/en/kapaki/cylind...ver-8.html

On that same site, I see the different diameter of hot plugs (swirl plugs, combustion chambers).

That's why I am confused.
Thy have the 19J head here: https://www.athousakis.gr/en/kapaki/cylind...ver-8.html

Tomorrow I try to measure mine. Strange that it would have same part number. Maybe just a revision.

The bore seems pretty good to me, again, untrained eye.. but I cannot feel any ridges left by to top compression ring. Maybe there is some bore ovality, but have to be measured. I usually get my spares from Paddock. They can supply original pistons in standard size. But oversize are aftermarket, so really hope that I can just do with a hone.

Once upon a time, I got myself an intercooler from a 200 or 300 tdi, but never got round to sourcing the smaller radiator. But honestly, I am not sure if an intercooler will help. Afraid that having more air can increase the burn / exhaust temperature?

I had this 90 practically since I got my driving license. I was young and foolish enough to tweak a bit the turbo waste gate. I also ran the 90 for prolonged periods of time without the engine cowl, and sometimes even without the cooling fan, hoping that I would be drive fast enough to get enough air through the rad. I think I also fitted a 200tdi thermostat (higher opening temperature). All the above, plus I made some heavy towing as well. Adding this to the fact that it was my daily driver and was always pedal to the metal to get to work on time.

So now, no wonder.... the engine ran a little too hot. But the cracks, plus leaking valve seats lubricated the bore, preserving the bores for the next round of life Rolling with laughter 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
Post #877631 10th Jan 2021 10:10pm
Sicastle71

The air will be denser as it is cooler than the air straight from the intercooler but it will help with the thermal stresses shouldn’t be a noticeable difference in combustion temp unless you start tweaking the fuelling as well. The main thing is to cool the air going into the combustion chamber this will have the effect of lowering the egt and alleviating the thermal stresses. My first 90 was a 19j 88 and this did wonders for the engine after a complete rebuild
Post #877644 11th Jan 2021 6:34am
Dinnu

Thumbs Up
I will see if I can fit an intercooler, but I want it to be as discrete as possible. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
Post #877650 11th Jan 2021 7:41am
Lodelaner

United Kingdom 1988 Defender 90 V8 Petrol ST Shire Blue
I think its a great thing to rebuild a rare 19J, they're becoming a very rare beast. My Ninety is from Jan 1988 build and had engine no. 19J1153xx in it originally (but not any more). During the 80's and 90's I worked for a commercial operator towing trailers with LRs. The early models all had issues, the later models (1989 registered onwards) had no engine failures and they ran well and towed our 2.5 tonne trailers well.

In 1988 many mods were made to the engine but the big one was 1989 model year (produced from Autumn 1988) when the pistons were redesigned/ improved (don't ask me how). These can retrofitted to an earlier engine. One of our tow vehicles cracked 2 pistons and had them rebuilt under warranty using the later pistons - and it was still going strong in 1996 when I left the company.

Everyone is different, but I'd probably fully rebuild the head using new valves/seats - especially if its been cooked in all sorts of ways it was never intended to do.

My instinct would be to also focus on a good rebuild initially before intercooling. Am I right in saying it will also increase the power and 'theoretically' increase the stress on the bottom end? JB

@Lodelaner Instagram

Youtube greenlaning and other LR related content
Post #877673 11th Jan 2021 10:58am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Adding an intercooler will only increase the power if the fuelling is altered to suit. On its own it will just reduce intake temperatures. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #877676 11th Jan 2021 11:08am
Dinnu

Hi Jonathan,

Interesting that your engine from January 1988 had a higher engine number. I always thought it was from October 1988, but recently I checked on vehicle enquiry with its former British plates, and shows date of first registration as February 1988.

Click image to enlarge

As per my first post, I am negotiating with the seller (he is actually selling on behalf of a customer) that I would open the head and pay the full price if I find no cracks. If I find the head in better condition than mine, perhaps minor cracks, I will negotiate the price based on condition. The nice thing about this engine is that is complete with all ancillaries.

Lets see if I can get a 19J back in the chassis. Today I was also thinking of doing some electronic wizardry if the 19J goes back in, that of cutting off the fuel during overrun. I think it should be fairly easy.. example check engine rpm, if above say 1000rpm. and pedal is up (need a switch), it will cut power to the stop solenoid. This would let enough cool air to cool it down, or would it bring more thermal cycles to the engine? 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
Post #877733 11th Jan 2021 2:35pm
Dinnu

I got the head off the engine mentioned in my first post, and to my delight I found it to be in excellent condition, no visible cracks. I hope no hidden cracks too. Bores are in excellent condition too. 2 pistons show cracks though. So I managed to shove in the back of the Golf. Do not ask me how Rolling with laughter . So another complete 19J is waiting to be stripped and inspected. I cleaned up a bit the gunk on top of the lift pump area, and I see 19J33xxx. Should be the better one. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
Post #878266 13th Jan 2021 5:00pm
Sicastle71

Sounds good. Would renew pistons and rings whilst it’s apart them look for a tdi intercooler and radiator and fit the intercooler should prevent thermal cracking of the head and pistons. I think you could benefit from fitting Mann breather kit as well to prevent as much of the crankcase gases getting back into the inlet as well.
Post #878286 13th Jan 2021 5:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>