↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Fitting Alpine subwoofer
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Fitting Alpine subwoofer
Please excuse my questions but I am not electrically mined in anyway whatsoever Shocked

I have a alpine cdt-173bt head unit and have just purchased an alpine subwoofer as fitted as an upgrade by landrover upto 2016 models from a forum member on a total whim Rolling with laughter as you do on a Saturday night after a glass or two of a very nice white wine.

So questions are.......

Do I need a special wiring loom and plugs or does the wiring supplied with the sub (brand new) facilitate an easy connection? My defender is a 2015 HT XS but I don’t know what’s under the cubby box plug wise.

I have an Exmoor trim taller cubby box so don’t want to mount it under so do I mount it to the back of the very substantial metal cubby box or onto the rear bulkhead? Either location should I fit dynamat underneath first?

Thanks in advance Thumbs Up 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #872657 12th Dec 2020 9:45pm
Ihod

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi ST Rioja Red
If you are extremely lucky when you remove the cubby box you may find your van was waiting for it......if that’s the case, you will find the connector under the box (the original looms differ if the sub was spec’d as an option on build but oddly some vans have it (with no sub) and others don’t.......very LR).

If you don’t and don’t want to mess about, Martin (on the forum) sells a very nicely made loom which does exactly what you need. It has the OEM connector, RCAs for the sub, remote wire to call for power and the connectors back to the battery and is well worth the £ simply not to have to mess about.

As for mounting, I used the original cubby and drilled it (replicating the factory install). Obviously that’s a wooden box so you might add dynamat to yours, or similar, to avoid vibration?

Good luck. It hugely improves the sound quality from the Alpine, even without changing out the original LR speakers.

The above assumes your sub is the LR version with the single grey block connector on the rear. Ian

MY1998 300Tdi 90 Hard Top (Now Soft Top)
MY2015 110 XS SW - Sold
MY2008 110 County USW - Sold
MY1962 Series IIa Truck Cab - Sold
MY1994 300Tdi 90 Hard Top - Sold
MY2001 TD5 90 Truck Cab - Sold
Post #872679 13th Dec 2020 4:44am
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Hopefully you have the connector under the cubby. The there is a connector behind the head unit that connects the loom under the cubby to the head unit, however you usually need an adaptor for this. Martin made it for me for a lot less than OEM. I did post about it on here so I’ll have a look and put a link up n
Post #872681 13th Dec 2020 9:18am
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Three or four posts down on here for the connector look you need. With this and assuming you have the connector under the cubby already it’s a piece of cake. You do need to turn it on at the head unit though, it’s in the menu somewhere. When you get to it on the menu, if it says “subwoofer on”, it’s actually off, you need to push the button in for it to come on or something daft like that.

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic67542-255.html
Post #872682 13th Dec 2020 9:24am
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Thankyou Gents that’s very kind of you both Thumbs Up 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #872723 13th Dec 2020 2:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1