↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > 'Win a car' competitions..
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
GREENI

United Kingdom 
'Win a car' competitions..
Anybody do this?

I was very sceptical of it all, as there's a few copycat companies which hasn't really gathered pace and seem to be a bit dodgy.

I looked at BOTB, but as soon as I saw it was 'spot the ball' I hit the delete button (hate football).

I came across RevComp and after watching a few draws on fb, and then pictures of the cars/vans/campers/bikes/watches being delivered I decided to give it a go.
I'm not the kind of person who gets addicted at things, so I only actually have a go for cars that I would actually want to drive around in!

There's quite a few individuals who have won 4-5 cars now Shocked

Seems to be good business.

https://www.revcomps.com/
Post #871963 8th Dec 2020 2:06pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I used to play BOTB just because the chances of winning the lottery are so small and a nice car would do me. I got quite close a couple of times too. The problem is, if you research the rules and how it is judged and then see some of the bizarre "correct answers" that they come up with it suddenly becomes less attractive.

There is every chance that if you mark the correct pixel, you wont be the only person to do so (assuming that they place the ball in a logical spot), which results in one of two additional contests. If one of the "correct" players only has one X in the game then you have to play another game against whoever you shared the spot with to win. Winning 2 games on the trot is a lot harder than winning one.

However, if everyone on the "winning" spot the first time had a second go in the same competition, then they look at your second nearest X to determine the winner. This massively favours people who spam loads of Xs around the same point, which I believe happens a lot.

Crucially, they don't publish how many Xs were placed on the winning spot, oe even if the game went to a tie breaker, so you can't really make a judgment on that.

I'm sure the odds are still a lot better the the NL or Euromillions, but it still isn't as straight forward as just picking the right spot and winning the car. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #871978 8th Dec 2020 3:19pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Yeah, that put me right off.

With RevComps you just answer a question and that's that (either lucky dip your numbers or choose), they then do a lotto ball type draw, which you can watch live, simple!
Post #871979 8th Dec 2020 3:29pm
AJC

United Kingdom 
i have a friend that sold his car to one of the companies. they approached him ad the offer was too good to turn down, it was a sierra cosworth.

i've had a go at a couple but not won anything yet.
Post #871983 8th Dec 2020 4:16pm
betty02

Friend of mine won from XClusive competitions. I’ve entered a few myself for a couple of quid, they do the draws live on Facebook too, although I don’t have it.

Mainly your modified cars and second hand though, but odds and prices are quite good!
Post #871994 8th Dec 2020 5:31pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I might have entered a couple of raffles on Agri-giveaways when Defenders come up Whistle But nothing yet Big Cry

I entered Charles Fawcett's FC101 raffle an age ago and still not drawn!! Shocked James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #871996 8th Dec 2020 5:35pm
kenzle8a

not a BTOB but I did win a MINI off the back of a train ticket.
Post #871998 8th Dec 2020 5:49pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Well I've won sweet FA Big Cry Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #872004 8th Dec 2020 6:42pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Not a car........but i won this Very Happy

Nearly choked on my cup of tea when i saw my name come up.

Complements the mountain bike and Emtb nicely Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge
Post #872024 8th Dec 2020 8:00pm
AJC

United Kingdom 
On the back of this, the best thing i've ever won is a Snap On bluetooth speaker Big Cry
Post #872092 9th Dec 2020 9:47am
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Do you find in life that some times people just seem to be lucky with competitions?

If I enter a raffle with 15 people I very rarely win anything other than maybe the last prize left which is usually a bottle of High Karate aftershave or something similar Laughing

I worked with a bloke years ago who I remember won a Camcorder in the News of the World in a competition (when Camcorders were really expensive, the size of a Fiat 500 and hardly anyone had one). He also won several other sizeable prizes on other competitions. I always wondered why he was so lucky? Maybe he just entered lots and lots of competitions? He was the same guy who would spend £25 a week on lottery tickets convinced he was going to win and that this would be his way to retire early. He never won and ended up working till he was 68 (when retirement age was 65).

One of my School friends won £1000000 on a lottery scratchcard earlier this year.

I have been subscribing to a 200 Club organised by the Inland Waterways Association for the best part of 30 years and I have never won a prize (I have two entries in the 200)

I take it on the chin and realise that I, like many others, have to fork out for the good causes, but am I unlucky in competitions or are the people who win just more vocal, than those of us who don't?
Post #872105 9th Dec 2020 10:37am
GREENI

United Kingdom 
(Hai)High Karate Laughing

To be fair I did win a laptop at our local motor factors a couple of years ago.

Speaking of lottery wins...Story time...
I used to be a sponsored Team Rider for Brian Rourke Cycles (think Guy Martin Worlds fastest bike fame), having been 'spotted' at a race in my teens, Brian (winner of hundreds of National races and titles) give me a shop deal, I eventually ended up working there for a few years.. Brian is quite a character and should really write a book.. he used to ride 110 miles most days of the week and ran on Guiness and chips..
He's hard as nails and would put his bike on a rack on his Vespa and ride a 100 miles to races in Winter (back in the 60's) then have to get people to take his bike off the rack as his fingers were frozen...just to enter a race.. he would tell me ''some people just want to win, Greeni''
Anywho
A local (to the shop) scrap dealer won a few million on the lottery and as a local business and growing up knowing about the shop, the guy decided he'd make a dream come true.. Brian Rourke bikes were (and arguably still are) known as the Rolls Royce of bike frames, the scrap dealer went to Brian for a 'measure up' as the bikes are made to measure, like a tailor made suit.
After spec'ing the bike and choosing his custom colours, a price was agreed and he would collect his bike in 6 weeks time when it was built.
The millionaire scrap dealer came in to collect his bike, after getting it set up and Brian was satisfied he was sat on it correctly, he carried it down the stairs and to the till area.
This is where the lotto winner decided it was time to get a 'bargain'...
'So, how much for cash?'
Rourkie told him that the price was agreed and there was no wiggle room for a custom bike.
'Come on, everyone can do a deal for cash'..said the lotto winner...

Rourkie came back with his legendary attitude..
'' YOU PEOPLE WITH MONEY THINK YOU CAN HAVE WHAT YOU WANT, WELL THERE'S ONE THING YOU'LL NEVER HAVE, ONE OF MY F***ING BIKES, NOW **** OFF!'
Post #872118 9th Dec 2020 11:36am
Rashers

That’s a great story, Greeni Rolling with laughter

A laptop isn’t a bad win Thumbs Up
Post #872120 9th Dec 2020 11:42am
GREENI

United Kingdom 
We did have a lot of millionaire customers, who were nice.
One millionaire customer took a memebr of staff to the Ferrari end of season Formula 1 party at Maranello, with Schumacher and the rest...
As well as out for dinner with the ferrari family (Piero), he lived the millionaire's lifestyle for a whole week, private jets, expensive restaurants and didn't spend a penny... he came home and felt depressed walking up the cold concrete steps to his council owned crappy flat Laughing he was miserable for weeks!!

One other millionaire customer, mates with Richard Branson invested in his Virgin Galactic space programme, lovely, lovely guy, had a huge collection of cars, he hill climbed a 250 SWB GTO... he built his gardener a house with an 18 car garage, and as a garden ornament...
Well, here's the view from Google maps...

Click image to enlarge
Post #872122 9th Dec 2020 11:57am
Rashers

Wow Shocked
Post #872123 9th Dec 2020 12:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>