↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Current go-to subwoofer?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Gasket

Current go-to subwoofer?
Hi guys. I’m just starting to assemble the parts to do a budget stereo install in a 2010 90CSW with no factory radio.

I’m no audiophile, so would be quite happy with a standard “premium” setup - plus it’s cheap. Looks like I’ve got a standard set of 6 LR speakers lined up, and I’ll just be fitting a second hand Alpine Bluetooth head unit with microphone.

I’d like to mirror the factory premium setup so plan on adding a cubby-box powered subwoofer too.

But which one?

1) The factory fit Alpine SWE-1200LR seems tricky to find (and expensive to replace of it breaks). Plus I’m told that it had a specific, shorter cubby which I don’t have so I’d never be able to copy the factory setup perfectly: so the generic SWE-1200 seems a much better purchase (even though the logo is a different way up - hopefully I’d be able to remove the decal if it isn’t engraved into the casing.

2) the Kenwood KSC-SW11has some great write-ups on the forum. Looks to fit nearer than the factory unit and is inexpensive. But... I would prefer to stick with the OEM brand - I know, geek, but it’s what I like. The branding is quite visible and would be difficult to remove I expect. However it seems to be the most popular choice.

3) my current favourite, fit the sub under the cubby. The MUD sub box looks like it’s worth saving for - plus it raises the cubby nicely... and I could fit an Alpine under-seat sub like a PWE-S8 (120w) or a PWE-V80 (160w) to scratch that OEM-formula itch.

But... are there any other contenders that have hit the market since the last posts? I’ve heard of another “slimline” Alpine unit that I can’t find.

Could I also ask a simple question? A lot of powered subwoofers come with a remote control - I don’t think the factory SWE-1200LR had one and it’s not something I would want (more clutter). When a sub comes with a remove control, is it optional - or do you lose functionality if you leave it off?

Thank you very much. Sorry for the basic questions, but after a lifetime of Series Land Rovers - radios are not my forte.
Post #846566 27th Jul 2020 11:47pm
Intercept

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 Black LE Java Black
The recent Alpine heads have an app that allows full control of most parameters, including the subwoofer output level, via a Bluetooth or USB connected phone. So a remote volume control for your sub really isn't necessary - you'd tend to adjust it once when you're tuning the system and then never touch it again.

https://www.alpine.co.uk/p/Products/SingleView/Alpine_TuneIt_App

I'm in the process of adding a sub to mine and I've been really impressed with the app. The time alignment facility makes a surprising difference to the sound, and the ability to independently control the crossover frequencies for front & rear, and the sub is really good. Frankly any attempt to do this level of tweaking via the arcane Alpine front panel menu system is doomed. Mine is just a cheap UTE-92BT (I think I paid about £90 for it new) and I'm impressed with what you get for the money.

Last edited by Intercept on 28th Jul 2020 11:33am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #846569 28th Jul 2020 12:19am
Gasket

Ah... the remote is only for setting it up! So presumably the subwoofer just works as a normal speaker thereafter, with no need to adjust it every time? That’s reassuring.

I’ve just had a look at that stereo, ticks all the boxes for me: no CD player (one less thing to go wrong), and vaguely in keeping with the OEM style. Think I might add that to the save up list too.

Thank you.
Post #846570 28th Jul 2020 12:32am
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Factory type alpine subs on eBay for about £170ish The remote bit can be unplugged Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #846571 28th Jul 2020 12:39am
bear100

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
I've just bought and fitted a Vibe optisound 8 Active under seat sub

Sound is really good1 and only cost £110 new there are a few different out there but this is by far the best for the money.
JL Audio and kicker are also very good but are 3 times the price 2016 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 TDV8
2010 110 XS Utility 2.4TDCI
2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 (gone)
2007 Discovery HSE TDV6 (gone)
1993 110 csw 200 tdi (gone)
1994 90 HT 300 tdi (gone)
1994 discovery 300tdi (gone)
90 hybrid 3.5 v8 (gone)
Range rover bobtail 3.5 v8 (gone)
Post #846592 28th Jul 2020 8:40am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wizzwas

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
I've got the MUD Sublocker in my 110 with a Pioneer TS-WX130DA sub. Nice quality(sound and build), compact and fairly cheap (£150ish). Plenty of room left over in the sublocker too.

I also have kept to the same brand with my setup, for no other reason than it's nice having it all the same. Worth noting with mine, it's a powered amp, so doesn't need a separate amplifier. Which means it's quite a bit more powerful than the 4 speakers, which I did upgraded, so I think I might get an amplifier at some point and maybe even go extreme and run in new/better speaker cable.

MUD's Sublocker is great, like the OP says, it raises the cubby to a much more comfortable height and has ample space for a sub.

Click image to enlarge
Post #846751 28th Jul 2020 8:34pm
BruceT

South Africa 
only benefit of the Mud sub locker under the center console is raising the height. As soon as you turn the music up or listen to something with a bit more bass than usual, everything inside the cubby and in the cup holders rattle. My sub box is now empty but still in place as its great height now as a arm rest.

Mine, in my 130, is still a work in progress but this is what has been done so far. This setup is better than I ever hoped it would be. I chose the Sony xav-ax5500 as it very little space inside the dash (equivalent to a single din radio).

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 "Overlanding With Bruce" - Youtube https://www.youtube.com/@OverlandingwithBruce
11MY Defender 130
23MY Defender 110 D300 HSE X-Dynamic

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzrHKcjA-LJ470_H4QwPgVA
Post #863031 22nd Oct 2020 2:36pm
CDN38

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 SW Bonatti Grey
8" sub. Fits under the second row, and it's mounted to the floor without having to add and holes in the floor it's self.

These units are available for custom order.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 it's a Landrover thing...

my renovation thread:
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40792.html
Post #869624 25th Nov 2020 9:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1