↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Underfloor conversion, possible?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

AndrewS wrote:
Tim in Scotland wrote:
unless you fill the space with other “stuff”

You do realise who the OP is? he's Shocked got more 'stuff' than you can point a stick at Rolling with laughter

Oh yes- it’s the same guy who used to rant on about his Honda Jazz on the Disco3 forum years ago! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #866817 11th Nov 2020 8:39pm
DSL

United Kingdom 
Still got them. Ner Ner
Post #866821 11th Nov 2020 8:44pm
zilch

Australia 
A fellow 🇦🇺 member has converted his rear underfloor area and fitted a lithium 100ha battery and redarc isolator,
so provides the option to run a fridge, compressor etc .. looks quite neat. Tim check out Tate Needhams posts on
the FB group yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #866866 11th Nov 2020 11:31pm
DSL

United Kingdom 
At last a decent pic showing the rear underfloor storage area and the tool bag. Taken from an Autotrader add so a real world car rather than pre production. I’m assuming the MHEV gubbins is underneath but this would be a really good conversion, turn polystyrene into usable space. More space you have the more junk you can cart around. Whistle Whistle

Click image to enlarge
Post #879351 18th Jan 2021 6:03pm
J77

Scotland 
Powerful UK might be the people to knock something up. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #879385 18th Jan 2021 9:11pm
Simon Audi

United Kingdom 
I did email them and ask them to investigate a few weeks ago.... They replied that they would think about it.
Post #879396 18th Jan 2021 9:27pm
Oldmowgli

Australia 
DSL wrote:

Click image to enlarge

Hmmm....Royal Mail packing cases. Were you perchance fitting in some remote deliveries on those journey's ? Whistle Whistle

Re: underfloor storage, I lifted my 'styrene box out to install the auxillary power cabling for our camper, and it comes out fairly easily, but there is nothing around the perimeter of that opening for the screws on the commercial boot floor moulding to fix into, so I guess it must involve a subframe. Also the DEF tank location is a bit of a pain as it takes up the back corner of what could be the storage space (the rectangular bulge in the moulding on the RHS), otherwise it would be much more useable.

Definitely an improvement though - JLR should be adopting the commercial solution across all models.

Oh and BTW.... talking about storage here are some pic's of the Front Runner Jeep tray table that I modified to fit, so that it allows access to the door pocket and warning triangle. Quite neat, but working out the fixing positions was a bit challenging. Hopefully Front Runner will have one to fit the New defender soon anyway.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Oldmowgli
Thud
Post #882847 3rd Feb 2021 10:02am
DSL

United Kingdom 
Don’t suppose you took a pic of the well without the polystyrene?

Re RM boxes, of course. I was taking up the early letter for Santa as I was virtually passing his back door in Lapland. TBS they were very useful when I had to scrap my D3 in NW Norway after the engine died a grizzly death. That was my D4 full of what I could strip from the D3, plus all my camping gear. May my old D3 Rust in Pieces. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge
Post #882860 3rd Feb 2021 10:26am
SN

Oldmowgli wrote:

Oh and BTW.... talking about storage here are some pic's of the Front Runner Jeep tray table that I modified to fit, so that it allows access to the door pocket and warning triangle. Quite neat, but working out the fixing positions was a bit challenging. Hopefully Front Runner will have one to fit the New defender soon anyway.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Oldmowgli
Thud

I like what you've done there Thumbs Up

The complete blockage of the rear door pocket by the back panel of these was putting me off them even though they have the slide out tray addition. Have you managed to reuse the existing bolt holes on the door interior for mounting? Or have you had to make fresh holes? Neutral Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)
Post #882862 3rd Feb 2021 10:35am
Oldmowgli

Australia 
New holes through the plastic panel, as it is not (as far as I can work out anyway) possible to use the exposed LR door card fixings in any way, unfortunately.
But it's still fairly neat nonetheless. Confused
The bottom two of the four corner fixings go through the door pocket using 2 of the Front Runner collapsable fixings. Sounds a bit drastic but they are very secure, and not in the way inside the pocket, and about the only way this unit will fit.
It removes in a couple of minutes, with the captive fixings.
If anyone else wanted to copy, let me know and I could probably knock up a decent sketch, but the large opening for the pocket / triangle involves use of metal holesaws and angle grinder work so you need to be happy working with those, as well as removing the door panel and drilling through that.
I reckon Front Runner should easily be able to come up with a version using some of the exposed LR fixings.

Oldmowgli
Thud
Post #883264 4th Feb 2021 11:34pm
Oldmowgli

Australia 
DSL wrote:
Don’t suppose you took a pic of the well without the polystyrene?

Just for you DSL:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The flexible conduit going to main central rubber grommet is my 12V trailer power. (horrible job getting it through that unit, not reccommended to try as it is made from / filled with a sticky rubber substance surrounding every individual wire passing through, the like of which I have never come across before, and it was an awful job to thread an extra cable through!!)

DEF tank is under the white insulation (3rd Pic)

Last pic is of what I assume must be 3rd row seat fixing brackets (?) shown in case anyone can plan to incorporate these into a box arrangement. Note there are 3 different fixings on the top of that bracket. And one bracket either side of the car (doh).

Also note the "inch square" cross beam in pic 1 also has a couple of bolt fixing points, but is in the way a bit, and useable space would be greater if not there.

Hope these help.

Oldmowgli Thud
Post #883268 5th Feb 2021 12:16am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
An MHEV will have less space than that as the 48v battery system is under there, but there should be a commercial tray available to fit those too.
Post #883285 5th Feb 2021 7:47am
DSL

United Kingdom 
@Oldmowgli: many thanks for the pics.

I was wondering if the liner for here:

Click image to enlarge

Would just drop into here:

Click image to enlarge

The new commercial versions are MHEVs so any gubbins for the should be under the liner. Looks good for it just dropping in. The square bar and the mounting bracket with the pin look like they’ll be OK to take out. Certainly would be good for storage of “stuff”.
Post #883309 5th Feb 2021 9:42am
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
Where’s the air compressor for the air suspension on models fitted with it? I always assumed that would be taking up space under the boot floor, but not in the commercial models Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #883327 5th Feb 2021 11:15am
DSL

United Kingdom 
Wouldn’t the compressor be outside a la D3/4?
Post #883330 5th Feb 2021 11:23am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>