↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Side “Box”
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Print this entire topic · 
defender_auug

United States 
Side “Box”
Anyone know how Easley the side box can be taken off? I am thinking about wrapping or painting it....?
Post #865472 5th Nov 2020 4:13am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Post #865486 5th Nov 2020 8:18am
DSL

United Kingdom 
Can one be fitted on t’’other side for the full stereo headphones effect? Whistle Whistle

Strikes me, in my non expert opinion, a bit of a solution looking for a problem. What are peeps keeping in there?
Post #865493 5th Nov 2020 9:25am
zilch

Australia 
Nope, can only be fitted to the off side, for the price i tend to agree it’s an expensive “box”.
However some are using it to store their recovery gear, fire extinguisher etc, easy access,
no need to empty the cargo area to find that critical D shackle etc . Best use was a drinks
cabinet Thumbs Up yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #865495 5th Nov 2020 9:31am
DSL

United Kingdom 
I remember seeing lots of Toyotas etc in Aus earlier this year with a canvas bag strapped to the external spare, didn’t look elegant but pretty functional for recovery stuff. Re drinks, with your sun would be good for mulled wine! Laughing Laughing
Post #865496 5th Nov 2020 9:38am
zilch

Australia 
Thumbs Up the drinks cabinet was in the UK, a few bottles of Scotch, a chiller flask and a couple of
whisky tumblers, no doubt on some grouse estate on the 12th Whistle yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #865502 5th Nov 2020 9:55am
DSL

United Kingdom 
Wonder if the FFRR version would come with a crystal LR decanter and glasses. And a “0” added on the end. Laughing
Post #865503 5th Nov 2020 10:01am
zilch

Australia 
Thumbs Up yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #865504 5th Nov 2020 10:08am
SN

zilch wrote:
Nope, can only be fitted to the off side, for the price i tend to agree it’s an expensive “box”.
However some are using it to store their recovery gear, fire extinguisher etc, easy access,
no need to empty the cargo area to find that critical D shackle etc . Best use was a drinks
cabinet Thumbs Up

didn't see anything in that video that would preclude it being fitted to the other side - except perhaps were there holes/mounts behind the thin strip under the rear side window perhaps? Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)
Post #865524 5th Nov 2020 12:15pm
Matt110

United Kingdom 
DSL wrote:
I remember seeing lots of Toyotas etc in Aus earlier this year with a canvas bag strapped to the external spare, didn’t look elegant but pretty functional for recovery stuff. Re drinks, with your sun would be good for mulled wine! Laughing Laughing

Got one on my 110. Works really well. Long as you tie it up between uses it actually goes flush to the wheel and looks fine. Its a camping bin, a dirty stuff retainer when offroading, a UV protector for the spare........ loads of uses. At present it stores all my COVID safety stuff, mask, gloves, and a few bin bags.
Post #865534 5th Nov 2020 12:49pm
DSL

United Kingdom 
SN wrote:
zilch wrote:
cabinet Thumbs Up

didn't see anything in that video that would preclude it being fitted to the other side - except perhaps were there holes/mounts behind the thin strip under the rear side window perhaps?

Would the holes be in t’other side for the ladder?
Post #865541 5th Nov 2020 1:44pm
Supacat

SN wrote:
zilch wrote:
cabinet Thumbs Up

didn't see anything in that video that would preclude it being fitted to the other side - except perhaps were there holes/mounts behind the thin strip under the rear side window perhaps?

Is does seem odd that the mounts aren't mirrored on each side to account for left hand and right hand drive fittings. I guess we'll have to wait until someone does a video of the ladder fitting on the opposite side to see if the lunchbox could actually be fitted there.

JLR showing it on one side only may be more a regulatory/type approval type issue.
Post #865543 5th Nov 2020 1:47pm
Supacat

DSL wrote:
Would the holes be in t’other side for the ladder?

Click image to enlarge

There appears to be 3 holes on the lunchbox side, perhaps the front two would align with the ladder mounts?
Post #865545 5th Nov 2020 1:54pm
DSL

United Kingdom 
I’m assuming the ladder fits on t’other side. That might be wrong, it might be lunch box or ladder, not both. Whistle
Post #865548 5th Nov 2020 1:59pm
Tim in Scotland

Supacat wrote:
Is does seem odd that the mounts aren't mirrored on each side to account for left hand and right hand drive fittings.

If you look in the “Show us your New Defenders” thread the LHD versions have the lunch box and ladder on the same side as the RHD so not handed for driving on the wrong side of the road.
And so far PowerfulUK haven’t removed the strip where the ladder mounts on a video so we can see what’s there - you would think for bean counting purposes it would be more cost effective to have one design that can be used on either side now that the forthcoming PHEV’s charging port on the near side is a handed “twin” to the fuel filler cover panel that has the mounting holes for the sandwich box. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 5th Nov 2020 2:13pm. Edited 3 times in total
Post #865549 5th Nov 2020 2:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>