Home > Td5 > New Defender 110 Owner - Performance and Starting Problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Dobs

Canada 2004 Defender 110 2.5 TD HT Scotia Grey
New Defender 110 Owner - Performance and Starting Problem
Hello,

I'm new on this forum and also in the Defender World. I am from Canada and recently just bought a Landrover Defender 2004 with a Td5 engine. Those truck are not common in my area, it is a private export kind of truck, local garages do not know much about the trucks.

Anyway,

The new truck I bought Looks great, Drives great and is pretty much solid all around, but it still has some problems I have to fix.

First off : Poor Highway performance ;

-The truck struggles to keep over 100 Km/h on highway with foot to the floor. It will not do over 105 km/h anyway I try and will lose signifiant speed going over a mini hill. (passing from 100 to 90-85). The acceleration is OK, but when I Reach 100 it kinda start to struggle and won't go over. Is this standard ? Or might be a problem somewhere ?

Second :

-We live in a pretty cold place (Quebec) and with the winter starting to come on, the starting is starting to put a toll on the engine. Today it was -5* Celcius, and it took every bit of life for the engine to start ; Waiting for the glow plugs to heat + 5 starting session of 20-25 seconds continuous starter action. Once it went to life lots of smoke (during the process of starting too). After it was fine.

Could the problem be related ? If so, what should I check first ?

Also ; My transfer case is leaking... I'm going to get it cleaned tomorrow and add more oil before going further, but still maybe do you have insights of where to check ?

Information : Battery is New, There is a snorkel on the truck as modification. And EGR is removed ; Manifold properly plugged and not leaking.
Thanks for the help in advance, very appreciated, I'm very lost with this first defender.
Post #868346 19th Nov 2020 5:51pm
CDN38

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 SW Bonatti Grey
Welcome Dobs!

There's probably 100- 150 or so TD5's in Canada, a couple importers local here in Vancouver, and I know one of them often sells his trucks into the back East market. I know there's a few importers back East as well. Where did you get yours?

There could be any number of things that are robing your performance, however it kind of comes down to process of elimination, starting with the easiest things first. How is it running overall? smooth? Rough or lumpy? Check things like air filter, or under the passengers seat, look at the ECU plugs for oil ingress ) It often travels from the engine plug, inside the wires and contaminates the plug at the ECU). Check that the hoses to the intercooler are intact, in good condition, no splits or leaks. Without proper boost, you have no "get up and go".

MAF could also be a culprit, leave that to investigate after the others have been ruled out.

As far as starting goes, there are only 4 glow plugs, resistance should be checked to ensure they are working properly. When you turn the ignition on to preheat, do you hear the fuel pump? Does it make a bit of a giggling noise, or does it just hum? If you have a bit of a bubbling sound, you're getting air in there, which makes starting difficult. (also could be a cause for drivability issue...) These trucks don't really like cold weather starts, but they reluctantly submit. Best solution to cold starts is a coolant heater https://www.butlertechnik.com/webasto-ther...ontrol-p69 It may not be the"magic fix" to the existing starting issue, but it's going to make a difference on a sub freezing morning even if your truck is in tip top starting condition.

Start with these easy things... there's a lot of savvy members here that will chime in with other things to check as well.

Oh, and if your transfer case is leaking, that means you have oil in it Rolling with laughter Not always a bad thing.... it's a Landrover thing...

my renovation thread:
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40792.html
Post #868363 19th Nov 2020 6:36pm
Dobs

Hey thanks for the reply.

We got our truck from Steve at The Prancing Horse Inc./Le Cheval Cabre Inc. in Montreal.

He did an overall great job with the truck, but his guys over there are not Top Tier mechanics ; More like people fixing the obvious easy things and thats it, Not a full overhaul. But he's been really great with follow up when we had problems.

I forgot to Mention, The truck has a brand new head gasket too.

The truck was previously fitted with an Espar System (controller still there) but the unit itself is not there anymore. I own multiple trucks and have some webasto laying around with controller, it's in the project of fitting one and will be really soon.

But I'm pretty sure there is another problem still because even when its hotter outside (15*), it's still not an instant start. I'm wondering if it's not a fuel problem... especially because of the lack of get-go on highway speed.

Apart from those 2 main problems, The Fuel pump just hum, No bubbling. And overall the engine runs great when "hot", no imbalance and shift great into gears.
Post #868367 19th Nov 2020 6:45pm
CDN38

Is yours the black one with the black one with the front & rear bucket seats on his FB page?

looking further... that one is a 300tdi. it's a Landrover thing...

my renovation thread:

Last edited by CDN38 on 19th Nov 2020 7:04pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #868371 19th Nov 2020 6:57pm
Dobs

Click image to enlarge

It’s not on his page,

Here a pic of it
Post #868372 19th Nov 2020 6:59pm
CDN38

Nice!

How long have you had it for? Are these issues new, or is this something they need to be covering?

Have to admit, I'm partial to grey!!

Click image to enlarge
 it's a Landrover thing...

my renovation thread:
Post #868376 19th Nov 2020 7:08pm
Dobs

Nice truck, ours look similar !!

We've had it for the past 3 weeks only. We did not drive it around a lot at first, it needed some things to get sorted out from the get-go. We had a bad exhaust leak at first... It was from the EGR block off plate.. So I removed the Manifold, got it planed and we welded shut the EGR hole. It took some time.

Then it was parked outside and did not get to drive it because of work coming up and whatnot. I've been driving it around since the past week and put few hundred KMS on it, and the issues have been since the beginning, so nothing new.
Post #868377 19th Nov 2020 7:11pm
4RF RDS

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Epsom Green
Nice rig... and welcome! The suggestions provided already seem quite appropriate. I would also suggest you join the Ottawa Valley Land Rovers OVLR closed FB page as well as the club. We have quite a few Td5s in our club and the brain trust can help you much more “locally”. We have many members in PQ and the Montreal area has its own OVLR group. Thumbs Up

Good luck. PM me if you need anything. Cheers 2010 Range Rover MkIII Autobiography Super Charged (Idris)
2003 Range Rover Mk III (Desmond FitzWilliam)
2000 Defender 110 CSW TD5 (CTX)
1992 Range Rover Classic (Lizzy)
1972 Series III 300 Tdi (Stanwood)
1967 MGB GT

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
Post #868424 19th Nov 2020 9:02pm
Dobs

Will Join the group, Thanks for the Info.

Will try to look for ECU plug and MAF related problem in the following day.
Post #868441 19th Nov 2020 9:53pm
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
TD5 is normaly able to start in -20°C without working glow plugs, but it is heavy start. Check them.
For the lack pof power - check engine with some diagnostics equipment for faults stored in engine ECU, this looks like overboost and following "limp mode" of engine - it will run, but no power over 3000 RPM.
Transmission box leak - typical is not round hole in casing holding intermediate shaft. Proper solution is adding a steel sleve into the hole. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #868491 20th Nov 2020 8:04am
Dobs

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Today finding :

Got the t-case and transmission cleaned, and went for a small drive, here are pics of the leaks

Also looked at ecu plug, i think there is small oil, is this the problem ?
Post #868587 20th Nov 2020 3:51pm
roel

Netherlands 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Caledonian Blue
There is not much oil in the red plug, I have seen much worse. However there is oil so I think it is a good idea to change your injector loom. ( not much work and cost)
You will keep getting some oil for a while so you have to keep cleaning the red plug for a while.
I heard stories that the oil might get into the ecu. I am not sure how you will get that out but as normally the ECU is placed flat you could try to get the ecu out and put it with the connectors down for a night to see if some oil is coming out.

Looking at your ecu: Is your ECU sealed with slilicon? Looks strange to me.

The oil from your transfer box looks a little black to me. Does it smell like ep90? If it stinks it is probably ep90. Very Happy
It will probably leak from the intermediate shaft as mentioned before. That is a bit difficult to see between the gearbox and the front part off the transfer box. you can see about half off the end off the intermediate shaft.
Normally a new O ring will work but if it is really worn a bush has to be placed as mentioned. Roel

1984 90 2.5 na Diesel - RR V8 (1994-2001)
1997 Camel Trophy Discovery 300TDI (2001-2009)
2005 G4 Discovery III 4.4 V8 (2008-2018) It's gone but it still hurts.
2003 90 Td5 (2009-now)
Post #868598 20th Nov 2020 4:21pm
Dobs

I have ordered a loom and the Ring for the loom.

The ECU is indeed sealed with silicon, looks weird, but then again it's a used truck.. imported from Eastern Europe countries with some mods.. so it does not surprises me all that much..

I don't know the difference between smell of oils so much... I think it is leaking from the bolt we see and not from the intermediate shaft if that is possible
Post #868601 20th Nov 2020 4:28pm
Dobs

Finally went back and checked.

It is definitely the Shaft leaking.

Wondering If it's a good idea or not : My Transmission guy who I work with suggested to seal the hole with some kind of sealer, he does it on a lot of jeeps to make a Easy Make-shift Fix. Far cheaper than dropping the whole assembly.

Do you think it's a good idea ?
Post #868607 20th Nov 2020 5:00pm
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
I have made it once, and it works only for few months. After this fail, I have sleeved the casing. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #868692 20th Nov 2020 10:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>