↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics (L663) > Weather App gone walk about..........
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

I have 2 x iPad Pro’s - 11” and 13”, both are 4G enabled, and run the app on both but the screen shot above shows their basic map which hasn’t as much detail as the same map but using their Ordnance Survey database which also works without a data signal. The only reason I didn’t have the more detailed map on the smaller iPad was because I didn’t log into my account with ViewRanger. Both views have a route overlay that was sent out by the club to the various Marshall’s we place in groups to lead/ follow on and provide any recoveries that might be needed. Marshall’s also have Portable radios (not CB but proper portable VHF/MF handsets in their cars).

Click image to enlarge

BTW X-Pel worked great yesterday, only a few pine needles left stuck to the car, mostly in the wheel arches - I wasn’t looking to test the tear resistance but as you can see from the scenic photo that route isn’t over endowed with shrubbery and trees! I also had an overnight environmentally friendly car wash (some very vigorous rain showers here overnight) so I’m not bothering to wash the car today. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #864938 2nd Nov 2020 11:24am
The Milkman

England 
Aha - the weather icon is back after the last OTA update BUT it still doesn't work as it states the vehicle sim is not present.............. even though my incontrol accounts shows;

ONLINE PACK WITH DATA PLAN
Expires: 10.07.2021
About this service

I have been informed by JLR.............

Thank you for contacting the Jaguar Land Rover Customer Experience Centre.
Following on from our earlier call I had attempted to contact you on several occasions but unfortunately there was no answer. I have investigated your Pivi Pro concern and can confirm that facility is not applicable to your vehicle and for that reason a number of apps are not present for example the weather.

As I bought the Defender 'off the shelf' - I am not aware what it has or has not..... any light being shed would be appreciated....

Andy
Post #865026 2nd Nov 2020 6:13pm
umbertob

United States 
North Wales is still part of the UK, no? Very Happy And you paid for the year of online plan with data pack. So, in theory you should have that second embedded SIM, and your weather app should therefore work... Don't know if that response you got from JLR Customer Care is accurate.

Copying and pasting - without permission - post from a FB group, straight from the horse's mouth (a member of JLR Product Marketing & Planning team for Infotainment, User Interface, Connectivity & Audio systems):

Quote:
Reading some of the comments on this group I thought it would be helpful to take some time to explain how Pivi Pro is offered in the area of connectivity given there are some significant changes in this regard vs. our previous systems as well as differences between markets.

I also recommend you access the support page for Pivi Pro here: https://www.landrover.com/ownership/infota...index.html including the FAQ’s. This page is in the process of being rolled out to other languages/markets – please bear with us.

Depending on the country the vehicle was purchased and is used in, there are different groups of connected services/features available (Please note, within these groups whilst the feature groups may be available in your market, not all sub features may be available, I recommend you always check with your retailer for local market availability in this regard):

Connected Navigation: Real Time Traffic Information, Map Updates including Safety Camera Locations (automatic download in the background, generally every month) Online Routing, Online Search including Reviews and Ratings from services such as Trip Advisor, Satellite Maps, Fuel Prices (including charging information for applicable vehicles) and Parking Availability. The initial subscription is included with Pivi Pro, typically this is aligned to the local warranty period, but please check with your retailer.

Online Pack: Online Entertainment services such as Deezer, Spotify & TuneIn, current weather as well as forecast information for current location and at the destination, Microsoft Outlook and Google calendar integration to view upcoming appointments as well as call the organiser or set the appointment location as a destination with one tap. In the UK this pack also includes the facility to pay for parking. Over time this pack will include further connected services/experiences. Online Pack includes an initial one year subscription.

Wi-Fi Enabled with Data Plan: Where this is available, it’s always a standalone optional feature. It includes the Wi-Fi antenna hardware as well as a data plan with 20GB / month for one year.

In markets where connected navigation/services are provided, vehicles fitted with Pivi Pro benefit from two modems and up to two embedded SIM cards. I have categorised markets based on which of the these connected feature groups are available and which markets require a separate nano SIM to be fitted. There are various reasons why such differences exist.

Market Group 1:
Austria, Belgium, Canada, China, Czech Rep, France, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Russia, Spain, Switzerland, UK, USA

These markets have Connected Navigation, Online Pack and Optional Wi-Fi Hotspot available.
The SIM’s are embedded which also include data as long as there is a valid subscription/s. On renewal of the applicable subscription/s, data is added for the new subscription period for the associated feature/services.

Market Group 2:
Australia, Japan, South Korea

These markets have Connected Navigation and Online Pack available.
A separate nano SIM with a suitable data tariff will be required to provide the data for Connected Navigation and the Online Pack.
The slot for the nano SIM is in the user interface panel. This is the panel in the front of the vehicle which includes two USB ports. On New Defender this is located in the area below the climate control panel.

Market Group 3:
Botswana, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Greece, Hungary, India, Ireland, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Mexico, Namibia, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Romania, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Sweden

These markets have Connected Navigation available.
The SIM’s are embedded and include data as long as there is a valid subscription. On renewal of the subscription, data is added for the new subscription period for the associated feature/services.

Market Group 4:
Argentina, Bahrain, Brazil, Hong Kong (Macau), Indonesia, Kuwait, Malaysia, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Taiwan, Thailand, UAE

These markets have Connected Navigation available.
A separate nano SIM with a suitable data tariff is required to provide the data for the available connected navigation features/services.
The slot for the nano SIM is in the user interface panel. This is the panel in the front of the vehicle which includes two USB ports. On New Defender this is located in the area below the climate control panel.

A few additional points to note (updated 7/9/20):

1- There has been some confusion in regard to enabling the optional Wi-Fi Hotspot feature. Assuming this feature is available in your market (market group 1) and ordered for your vehicle (please remember the Wi-Fi Hotspot capability is a standalone option and can’t be retrofitted), to enable the hotspot, access settings > connectivity. First check Mobile Data is enabled, then enable ‘Hotspot’. Note: The 'hotspot' setting is only visible if the vehicle was fitted with the Wi-Fi Hotspot capability . With the hotspot enabled click on the word hotspot to access the network name and password. The 4G Hotspot will allow you to connect up to 8 devices – should be enough to keep most families happy during your adventures 😊.

2- Please note: Wi-Fi settings are shown regardless of whether the Wi-Fi Hotspot feature is enabled on your vehicle. This is used for connecting to external Wi-Fi hotspots for software updates ONLY.

3- Mobile data can ONLY be provided to Pivi Pro for the above connected features/services via either the embedded SIM (market groups 1 & 3) or a separate nano SIM (market groups 2 & 4) inserted into the SIM slot in the user interface panel. Tethering a mobile phone’s data connection is not supported. The vehicle can however connect to a Wi-Fi hotspot for software updates. There are valid technical reasons for this, but I'll spare you the details.

I hope you find this of use.
 2020 NAS Defender 110 HSE 5-seater / Silver / Khaki / Black Pack / Black Roof / Satin Film / Cold Pack / Off-Road Pack / Advanced OR Pack / Comfort + Convenience Pack / Sirius + HD radio / HUD / Meridian Surround
Post #865130 3rd Nov 2020 1:46am
The Milkman

England 
Thank you Umbertob, you set me on a train of thought 'Resetting all Network Settings' and hey presto - the weather app is back and funtional Thumbs Up
I think there must be a University degree out there somewhere for the understandings of Pivi Pro Rolling with laughter
All the best
Andy
Post #865190 3rd Nov 2020 12:06pm
Tim in Scotland

^+1, reset connectivity and the app is back again
I don’t know about a degree in PiviPro but a checklist of tips to try when it doesn’t perform as intended might be useful! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #865201 3rd Nov 2020 1:33pm
The Milkman

England 
Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter I think my Defender is turning me insane.... Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter The Weather app and all data connection has gone walkabout again - No Sim Detected...... Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
Post #865268 3rd Nov 2020 7:44pm
denhams

United States 
My weather app also disappeared. The reset connectivity trick didn't work. On my Incontrol web account, I did find these settings that suggest the app should be installed. I'm too scared to press the reset buttons.

Click image to enlarge
 1981 Series III 88 Santana Especial
2020 Defender 110 SE
2023 Tesla Model 3 RWD
Post #865398 4th Nov 2020 6:26pm
umbertob

United States 
It comes and goes... Instead of the connectivity, have you tried resetting the infotainment system yet? In park and with the engine idling, press the power button of Pivi Pro (in the center of the volume knob) and keep it pressed for about 15 seconds, until the touchscreen goes blank and the system restarts. Release the button and wait a good minute or two for all the icons and maps to repopulate the touchscreen and driver display. Often, the weather app pops back up that way, along with other icons that tend to disappear, such as Spotify, TineIn... At worst, you may need to reprogram sat radio presets (if you have that), everything else should stay the same. 2020 NAS Defender 110 HSE 5-seater / Silver / Khaki / Black Pack / Black Roof / Satin Film / Cold Pack / Off-Road Pack / Advanced OR Pack / Comfort + Convenience Pack / Sirius + HD radio / HUD / Meridian Surround
Post #865440 4th Nov 2020 9:41pm
Tim in Scotland

Pressing the reset connectivity only does that, all the data on the screen stays there as you watch, you don’t see anything change or disappear as it performs the reset. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #865456 4th Nov 2020 10:25pm
denhams

United States 
umbertob wrote:
It comes and goes... Instead of the connectivity, have you tried resetting the infotainment system yet? In park and with the engine idling, press the power button of Pivi Pro (in the center of the volume knob) and keep it pressed for about 15 seconds, until the touchscreen goes blank and the system restarts. Release the button and wait a good minute or two for all the icons and maps to repopulate the touchscreen and driver display. Often, the weather app pops back up that way, along with other icons that tend to disappear, such as Spotify, TineIn... At worst, you may need to reprogram sat radio presets (if you have that), everything else should stay the same.

Thanks. That did work. The weather app has returned. 1981 Series III 88 Santana Especial
2020 Defender 110 SE
2023 Tesla Model 3 RWD
Post #865465 4th Nov 2020 11:59pm
defender_enthusiast

United Kingdom 
I’ve been struggling to get the weather app to appear since I had the car! Today I finally had success!

So I returned to my car this morning after receiving notification yesterday about the 2.04 system update and saw it went to success! Thumbs Up

I then went to Apps in the main menu then saw there was a software update for live apps. Curiously I selected it and was greeted with an update available and it started to download!

Click image to enlarge

After download, I switched the car off - locked it up, came back after 15mins and saw that there was software updates across my live apps...and for the very first time the weather app appeared as part of that list!

Click image to enlarge

I hope this helps - maybe they’ve released a software update to make the weather app more stable!

I STILL however don’t have mobile hotspot, which I had when I first received my car. However for the life of me it won’t come back for some reason! - super frustrating given you only get it for free in your first year - then you have to pay and subscribe for it thereafter and at this rate - it won’t be available until after the first year!

Click image to enlarge
 Defender D240 First Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Wrapped roof in Gloss white. Few other dealer fitted extras.
Post #865712 6th Nov 2020 2:50pm
umbertob

United States 
Mobile hotspot is not "free in your first year." Unless you order the data plan, which is a separate option with a specific cost on every trim (at least here in North America - other markets may include it for free, but it doesn't sound like it), hotspot will not be included. I believe the "Wi-Fi enabled with data plan" option was $360.00 on MY2020s, so the "free" in-car Wi-Fi and mobile hotspot features actually costs $30.00/month for the first year in the US. We'll see what they ask for renewal a year from now, I suspect another $360.00 but we'll have to wait and see. 2020 NAS Defender 110 HSE 5-seater / Silver / Khaki / Black Pack / Black Roof / Satin Film / Cold Pack / Off-Road Pack / Advanced OR Pack / Comfort + Convenience Pack / Sirius + HD radio / HUD / Meridian Surround
Post #865715 6th Nov 2020 3:21pm
defender_enthusiast

United Kingdom 
Ahh my mistake, it’s a ticked option by default in the first edition.

But yeh I definitely have the option, but just don’t see it anywhere in my pivi pro settings!

Click image to enlarge
 Defender D240 First Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Wrapped roof in Gloss white. Few other dealer fitted extras.
Post #865721 6th Nov 2020 3:52pm
Philm

United Kingdom 
This is on mine and I don't have hotspot

ONLINE PACK WITH DATA PLAN
Stay truly connected. You’ll enjoy access to everything you need, seamlessly integrated within Pivi Pro – including unlimited data for online media music streaming, weather updates and calendar information. It’s all designed to keep you informed and entertained. At all times.
Post #865722 6th Nov 2020 3:56pm
Sepp

Germany 
You'll see if the weather app will be sustainable on your car. It has proven not to be on others including mine.
However, best of luck!

BTW even with the most recent update my system is still on 2.03.
Post #865723 6th Nov 2020 4:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>