↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > The new boy, my first encounter...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Wild Card 90

England 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
The new boy, my first encounter...
After following the many threads here, and observing what the press say, I decided I just had take a closer look at the new Defender. The videos of it climbing steep gradients and mud-plugging to above its eyeballs, convince me that it has the "tool" status in the bag. The local dealer lent me their demonstrator for a few hours. Time enough to understand what it is, and isn´t.

I think it is one of Land Rover´s most attractive designs, both inside and out.

Way less chinzy than the other products, it looks purposeful and functional. (The RR/Velar/Evoque- typical acres of soft leather puntuated by shiny bits are thankfull absent from the Defender´s interior - unless specced back in). Most surfaces in the interior feel solid and robust, and I loved the coated metal dash elements which are useful functional quotes from the pre-Puma classic.

On the outside the plastic cladded lower panels "let the side down", looking economy-car cheap, and badly fitting. I won´t go into the other little quality issues, already covered in abundence.
Never the less, it is a refreshingly current and clean design in a world of over-styled SUV competition (Mercedes, BMW and Toyota).

On spec, it is too wide and too heavy. However it doesn´t drive like that. It drives really well.

Almost too well. Too smooth and refined and too disconnected from the road. It drives like a Range Rover.
If it had stayed compact and light, it would be less refined and more visceral. And that, would have been just fine by me!

The size of the boot is disappointing, even from a 90 owner´s viewpoint.

Could I imagine owning one?

Yes, I could. In white or silver, with steel wheels, base Defender model to keep the interior as pure and simple as possible.

However, it wouldn´t replace the 90. It just couldn´t!
No modern creation ever can replace the charisma and charm of a classic Defender.
Currently, I´d end up grabbing the keys to my 90, before the new boy could get a word in.

It hasn´t convinced me, but has left a better impression than I´dexpected.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 1998 Tdi 90 SW,
2008 Td4 90 SW,
2012 2.2 90 SW,
2" raised Trailmaster/Terrafirma
Heavy Track Raids, 255 MT´s,
Recaro CS´s, anorak, wellingtons
Post #864419 30th Oct 2020 2:33pm
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello Wild Card 90

I agree with your 'eloquent review'... nice but no (or maybe yes at a push)...

I too have now had a play in one both on and off road and it's ok... actually good... but for me way too expensive
and it will never (in my view) carry with it either the following or type of end users who made the Defender
their own and then put them to work. SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #864429 30th Oct 2020 3:09pm
W84IT

United States 
Nice review but I think it would have been more appropriate to compare your classic 90 to the new 90 with similar mods done to it...

Ray
2020.5 Defender 110 P400HSE
2016.5 Range Rover HSE
Post #864438 30th Oct 2020 4:16pm
Wild Card 90

England 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
When there is a silver or white 90 down at the dealer, I will go and take a closer look. Black steel wheels for me, please.
I´m definitely a ninety fan. It is the version that quotes the iconic original best of all.

However, what in heavens made them think they could get away with that rear seat arrangement?

Please tell me the pictures are wrong, and you can actually fold the seats down flat. The step in the load surface I could live with (but only just). In the past we´ve transported bikes, washing machines and all sorts of cumbersome objects in the back of our nineties. Not possible any more? The Hardtop, although it looks the coolest from the outside, doesn´t offer the two jump seats I´d like at all!

To me the ninety is a two seater that you can convert to carry four at the proverbial "pinch". As a two seater, it is still an amazing load carrier. LR came up with retractable jump seats (which apparently fulfill all safety requirements) for the third row in the 110, and should have adapted this principle for the short one too. 1998 Tdi 90 SW,
2008 Td4 90 SW,
2012 2.2 90 SW,
2" raised Trailmaster/Terrafirma
Heavy Track Raids, 255 MT´s,
Recaro CS´s, anorak, wellingtons
Post #864532 31st Oct 2020 7:40am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1