↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Incoming - 2020 HSE Eiger Grey
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
edubyaang2

United States 
Incoming - 2020 HSE Eiger Grey
Hi all - took delivery a few weeks ago of a 2010 HSE Eiger Grey. It came fairly loaded with full leather seats. Wanted to share some pros and cons of the car so far, from someone who really does NOT

Click image to enlarge

plan on taking this off-roading (maybe snow).

PROS:

1. This car handles like a dream. I was expecting it to be awkward and bulky (like the Chevy Yukon Denali I test drove), but this thing is so nimble and steering is super responsive. Felt like I was driving my old 2014 RRS.

2. The leather inside is great. Got to love that matte finish of new leather. I test drove the MB GLS and thought the leather was horrible. This one feels premium, like my Herman Miller Eames chairs.

3. Love how it looks; definitely turns a lot of heads on the road.

4. Really really love the car. Super happy with it and glad I decided to go with this over the full size RR.

5. At first I didn't like the side steps, but so glad I got them. Gives the car a bit more character and makes it easier for my wife to get into the car.

CONS

1. HUD - I regret getting it, and I've already turned it off. I had a HUD for my BMW 750, which I loved, but the one on the Defender just does not suit my eye. It is super bright, right in the middle of my vision and distracting. You can only position it higher and lower (and not left and right). I adjusted it to the bottom, but then at night with the headlights turned on, you can't really see it. Also, the HUD has this WHITE DOT in the unit, and during the day it just reflects onto the windshield. Super annoying.

2. General bugs. Lots of weird bugs on this so far. For example, sometimes the backup camera does not turn on. Small things like that.

3. Car door. When you approach the car with your keys in your pocket, it does not auto unlock. Instead, you have to push a button on the handle. I guess this is a good safety function (especially in this day and age), but they should have placed the button on the right side (instead of the left side), as most folks that open the heavy driver door do so with their left hand. There is also a bit of a delay after touching the button. Sometimes, if you don't press hard enough, it won't work as well. Other times, when I approach the car, the button doesn't even work.

4. Car seats. They don't fold down all the way flat. I had seen photos of it being folded all the way down, but I definitely am not able to do it. There is maybe a 20 degree tilt.

5. A Pillar Rattling. I think one poster talked about this. But when I am driving over 65 MPH, I can hear alot of rattling coming from the A pillar - it's a sizzling sound, like sand hitting the windshield. Anyone else get this problem fixed? I am really hoping the dealer can fix this issue easily - as it is VERY annoying.

6. Apple Carplay. You have to have your phone plugged in to utilize this function. No blue tooth on this? Surprising.

7. Sirius doesn't always work, and I also have no clue how to get the WIFI working. I don't plan on extending my subscription beyond the initial trial period, but still kind of annoying.

8. 22 inch wheels. A bit of road noise but on a nicely paved road it drives like a dream. That said, I am worried about taking it on the snow. Is it even possible to get chains on wheels of this size? Someone mentioned in another post that it's hard to find snow chains for 22 inch rimmed tires. Any truth to that? Would be a real bummer if I could not take this up to the mountains during the winter time.

9. Heated and Cooled Seats. Why didn't they make an analog button for this? I use it all the time and it's annoying I have to go to the touchscreen to do so.

10. Rear seat AC. Any way to turn this off completely? I can't seem to figure it how other than to shut the vents.

11. Parking sensors. Seems like a bit of a lag on getting these turned on. So of course makes me nervous sometimes. Of course, I am comparing them to my 750, which was lightening quick.

12. Window buttons. They feel ridiculously cheap. Why can't they just spring for nicer quality buttons here. Feels too much like plastic and the nob to turn the window up and down is extremely thin and just not pleasing to touch.

I know the list of CONS is high but I can assure you that I LOVE LOVE LOVE the car.

Thanks all! Hope the photo upload turned out ok.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #862720 21st Oct 2020 6:36am
umbertob

United States 
Welcome, fellow Southern Californian.

4. They definitely do fold flat on a 5-seater. If you have a 5+2, I don't believe they do.

9. The climate control dials next to the shifter double as heated + cooled seat controls. Briefly push the left or right rotary dials to access the front seat warmers and coolers, then turn dial left to cool or right to heat.

I love the HUD in mine, specifically because it is so bright (and I can still see it through my sunglasses in bright days.) You can adjust the brightness down until it is barely visible. Matter of taste, I guess.

Congratulations, beautiful color. 2020 NAS Defender 110 HSE 5-seater / Silver / Khaki / Black Pack / Black Roof / Satin Film / Cold Pack / Off-Road Pack / Advanced OR Pack / Comfort + Convenience Pack / Sirius + HD radio / HUD / Meridian Surround
Post #862735 21st Oct 2020 7:48am
Digger2000

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Other HT Tonga Green

Click image to enlarge

22’s should be fine on snow and light off road.
Post #862752 21st Oct 2020 9:04am
Tim in Scotland

Welcome to the forum

Middle row seats will fold flat if you press them down firmly until there is a click - there are posts about this in the forum and Offroad Adventures has a video on YouTube showing how to do it.

Locks - I suspect that part of the improvement s to prevent signal grabbing has been a reduction in signal power as I often find what you report about pressing the square and nothing happening even though you have the fob in your pocket. I’ve found that having the fib in the same pocket as a cellphone/ mobile phone or other keys in the pocket shields the fob signal and since making sure that I don’t put my phone into the same pocket and I am closer than half a meter to the car it opens every time. You do have to stand a lot closer to the car than I recall on other Land Rover products.

Heater controls - in the setting menu did you know that you can also select “sync” mode so one knob operates both front controllers? I cannot help with the rear Aircon as I only have dual zone not three/ four zone however, I thought that there was a rotary knob in the area of the 3rd row seats that has a 0 (zero/off) position, is there nothing the same for the middle row on the back of the centre console?

I found the way to switch off the rear ac/ climate in the iGuide - see the photo below - in the centre controller there is an on/off icon - suggests to me that you press that button in until it goes to the off position.

Click image to enlarge

22” wheels/tyres in the snow - I ran both a TDV8 and an SDv6 RRSport on 22” wheel for 3 years each and had no problems in 3-4” depth (we rarely get more than than here in Central Scotland) - you can use Terrain Response on the road in the Grass, Gravel and Snow setting although some people say that Sand mode is also very effective in snow. I would suggest that you find an area of wet grass and have a play with the TR settings because the amount of throttle damping programmed into the GGS setting can be a bit of a surprise first time you use it! It does work and I found it gradually allowed me to increase speed almost up to Highway type speeds on compacted snow on summer tyres, as soon as it senses wheel slip it deadens the throttle and reduces your speed. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #862758 21st Oct 2020 9:19am
landiepete

Belgium 
Re: Incoming - 2020 HSE Eiger Grey
edubyaang2 wrote:

2. The leather inside is great. Got to love that matte finish of new leather. I test drove the MB GLS and thought the leather was horrible. This one feels premium, like my Herman Miller Eames chairs.

You know, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but are you sure you drove one with leather and not MB-Tex ?
Post #862800 21st Oct 2020 12:56pm
edubyaang2

United States 
I drove the MBTex, and that is all the dealer had for all GLS. They said they had to special order the Nappa leather for me to try.
Post #862856 21st Oct 2020 5:57pm
edubyaang2

United States 
Re Seat Folding. I have the 5x2. While the 3rd row lays flat the middle row definitely does not...

Tim in Scotland wrote:
Welcome to the forum

Middle row seats will fold flat if you press them down firmly until there is a click - there are posts about this in the forum and Offroad Adventures has a video on YouTube showing how to do it.

Locks - I suspect that part of the improvement s to prevent signal grabbing has been a reduction in signal power as I often find what you report about pressing the square and nothing happening even though you have the fob in your pocket. I’ve found that having the fib in the same pocket as a cellphone/ mobile phone or other keys in the pocket shields the fob signal and since making sure that I don’t put my phone into the same pocket and I am closer than half a meter to the car it opens every time. You do have to stand a lot closer to the car than I recall on other Land Rover products.

Heater controls - in the setting menu did you know that you can also select “sync” mode so one knob operates both front controllers? I cannot help with the rear Aircon as I only have dual zone not three/ four zone however, I thought that there was a rotary knob in the area of the 3rd row seats that has a 0 (zero/off) position, is there nothing the same for the middle row on the back of the centre console?

I found the way to switch off the rear ac/ climate in the iGuide - see the photo below - in the centre controller there is an on/off icon - suggests to me that you press that button in until it goes to the off position.

Click image to enlarge

22” wheels/tyres in the snow - I ran both a TDV8 and an SDv6 RRSport on 22” wheel for 3 years each and had no problems in 3-4” depth (we rarely get more than than here in Central Scotland) - you can use Terrain Response on the road in the Grass, Gravel and Snow setting although some people say that Sand mode is also very effective in snow. I would suggest that you find an area of wet grass and have a play with the TR settings because the amount of throttle damping programmed into the GGS setting can be a bit of a surprise first time you use it! It does work and I found it gradually allowed me to increase speed almost up to Highway type speeds on compacted snow on summer tyres, as soon as it senses wheel slip it deadens the throttle and reduces your speed.
Post #862857 21st Oct 2020 5:58pm
umbertob

United States 
Tim in Scotland wrote:
Welcome to the forum

Click image to enlarge

I have the 3-zone Climate Control with the 2nd row temperature dials, and pushing that center button does nothing, despite the icon on the button and instructions implying otherwise. System stays on. Turning the dial does change the speed of the fan for rear passengers from Auto (unless the settings are locked via the front touchscreen.) It's a bit silly that you cannot turn it off, but the power button is also missing from the "2nd row" climate controls on the front touchscreen, so I guess it was designed to stay on for whatever reason? First and third row can be turned on or off from the touchscreen or manually, so that's just weird.

Another small thing that bugs me and makes me think that LR didn't really test their UI as much as they should have - or they would have caught stuff like this prior to launching the vehicle - is that the adjustable temperature for the 2nd row's climate control is always displayed in degrees Celsius on the touchscreen, even if you switch the car settings to Fahrenheit (the rotary dials for the rear passengers display Fahrenheit, however.)

Edit: You can only turn the second row on or off along with the first row, not independently. Anothere weird thing is that changing the speed of the fan using the center dial in the second row also seems to change the speed of the vents fan in the first row? Best to leave everything on Auto. Confused 2020 NAS Defender 110 HSE 5-seater / Silver / Khaki / Black Pack / Black Roof / Satin Film / Cold Pack / Off-Road Pack / Advanced OR Pack / Comfort + Convenience Pack / Sirius + HD radio / HUD / Meridian Surround
Post #862860 21st Oct 2020 6:24pm
edubyaang2

United States 
Ah thanks for the tips. On the snow issue, in the winter here, either snow tires or snow chains are required. Are chains available on a tire this size?
Post #862869 21st Oct 2020 6:47pm
nickp

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Hi, must agree with Tim in Scotland, I have the 5+2 and if you really push the second row seats down they will engage with a click and are as near as damn it flat

Cheers

Nickp

edubyaang2 wrote:
Re Seat Folding. I have the 5x2. While the 3rd row lays flat the middle row definitely does not...

Tim in Scotland wrote:
Welcome to the forum

Click image to enlarge

22” wheels/tyres in the snow - I ran both a TDV8 and an SDv6 RRSport on 22” wheel for 3 years each and had no problems in 3-4” depth (we rarely get more than than here in Central Scotland) - you can use Terrain Response on the road in the Grass, Gravel and Snow setting although some people say that Sand mode is also very effective in snow. I would suggest that you find an area of wet grass and have a play with the TR settings because the amount of throttle damping programmed into the GGS setting can be a bit of a surprise first time you use it! It does work and I found it gradually allowed me to increase speed almost up to Highway type speeds on compacted snow on summer tyres, as soon as it senses wheel slip it deadens the throttle and reduces your speed.
Post #862900 21st Oct 2020 8:07pm
landiepete

Belgium 
edubyaang2 wrote:
I drove the MBTex, and that is all the dealer had for all GLS. They said they had to special order the Nappa leather for me to try.

That's a bit unfair, of course, as the MB-tex isn't leather. I also think the GLS is an odd match to compare to a Defender. And the GLS is a hell of a lot bigger. And the engines are not at all comparable. And so on, and so forth.
Post #862970 22nd Oct 2020 7:20am
Tim in Scotland

Mid row folding

Go to 1m 15secs and it is shown, and how to release the seat for use is also shown
 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #862980 22nd Oct 2020 8:38am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
SSM 74999 - Rear HVAC panel appears not to function
umbertob wrote:

I have the 3-zone Climate Control with the 2nd row temperature dials, and pushing that center button does nothing, despite the icon on the button and instructions implying otherwise. System stays on. Turning the dial does change the speed of the fan for rear passengers from Auto (unless the settings are locked via the front touchscreen.) It's a bit silly that you cannot turn it off, but the power button is also missing from the "2nd row" climate controls on the front touchscreen, so I guess it was designed to stay on for whatever reason? First and third row can be turned on or off from the touchscreen or manually, so that's just weird.

Edit: You can only turn the second row on or off along with the first row, not independently. Anothere weird thing is that changing the speed of the fan using the center dial in the second row also seems to change the speed of the vents fan in the first row? Best to leave everything on Auto. Confused

Maybe this is applicable?

SSM 74999 - Rear HVAC panel appears not to function 19th August 2020

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #884113 9th Feb 2021 11:59am
Ehloo

United States 
i have the opposite issue but similar. my 2nd row is not working at all. no air coming out of the vents at all. none of the buttons in the rear do anything. the power button doesn’t do anything, knobs do nothing. i have yet been able to get air to flow from the second vents. car is going into the dealer and worried it’s going to be a big job

edubyaang2 wrote:

Tim in Scotland wrote:
Welcome to the forum

Click image to enlarge

Post #885141 13th Feb 2021 6:27am
Ehloo

United States 
big thanks for posting this SB. the last option fixed my issue. i am really dumb founded the engineering and programming with the car. hitting max defrost locks my rear climate even after max defrost has been turned off. completely bad design

Tim in Scotland wrote:
Mid row folding

Go to 1m 15secs and it is shown, and how to release the seat for use is also shown
Post #885142 13th Feb 2021 6:54am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>