↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > 2015 90 XS 5th Service
DIY or Independent Service
DIY Service (No service record)
35%
 35%  [5]
Dealer/Independent Service (Service Record)
64%
 64%  [9]
Total Votes: 14

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
MalithS

United Kingdom 
2015 90 XS 5th Service
Hi all,

So its time for my service this year. I've only done about 1200miles since the last service 12 months ago. Rang up the LR independent I normally use and they quoted £299 for the 60k/5 Year service Surprised

The service schedule only has engine oil replacement and all other items seem to be check/top up type activity. Having had the car serviced and had the online service history maintained the last 4 years I am now thinking maybe its time to start doing it myself. Seems a shame to change the oil after its been there for so little time so I was thinking maybe leave it till spring/summer time next year and do the oil change myself (it will be easier when the weather warms up as I have to do it on the drive). I quite liked keeping the service history updated but I cant really justify spending £300 for an oil change!! Its not a car I am going to sell as its a keeper.

Looking at the fluids the oil/filer should be around £75 (Castrol 5-30 Edge Fully Synthetic).

What are peoples thoughts on delaying the service and starting to do the servicing DIY?

Click image to enlarge
Post #861120 12th Oct 2020 11:21am
stephan123

United Kingdom 
I was in a similar position and opted to take it to my local indy mechanic. Took the view that I was spending £300 on a detailed inspection by a professional (who could flag something that I would miss) rather than a simple oil change. You can't put a price on peace of mind.
Post #861131 12th Oct 2020 12:34pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
I pay £260 for mine, so similar ball park. I get it done once a year and change the oil and filters every 6 months. I do everything else myself so the annual with my trusted Indy is just a second pair of eyes and I deem it a valuable investment.
Post #861139 12th Oct 2020 1:26pm
Mdm

United Kingdom 
it will hurt its future resale for sure if it hasn't been looked at or serviced.

oil dilution on 2,2 pumas need we say more, oil is cheaper than an engine

price is good

by all means do your own maintenance but i always get someone to look at mine and take on the bigger jobs to be on the safe side
Post #861147 12th Oct 2020 1:50pm
MalithS

United Kingdom 
Oh Im not saying skip on the schedule check items. Its just that if you are relatively competent DIY mechanic you should be able to carry out the basic checks on the 60k service schedule as most are items to just inspect or check. The only thing to change is the oil.
Post #861159 12th Oct 2020 2:51pm
Mdm

United Kingdom 
ive just been to look at a 90 2014 1 owner 60k. owner has serviced it himself. no paperwork not even a receipt for filters or oil used.
i walked away as there are plenty to choose from.

if you can like many of us on here check as much as you can then speak to your Indy and i bet you he will check it over and drop the oil for less brass and get you the all important invoice and service book stamp.

i don't think it matters for older landies but newer ones i still like to see a good paper trail of what its had or not as the case maybe
Post #861164 12th Oct 2020 3:03pm
foggydave

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Bonatti Grey
Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't a warning come up when the engine oil contamination reaches a certain limit which necessitates an oil change, and until that time is doing its job ok?
Post #861213 12th Oct 2020 7:20pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
If its a keeper service it yourself, if you think you are going to sell it find someone you trust to do it, having had mine serviced by a main dealer for the first 3 years, I'm not convinced a service history proves anything other than the fact you can afford their prices DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #861215 12th Oct 2020 7:33pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
foggydave wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't a warning come up when the engine oil contamination reaches a certain limit which necessitates an oil change, and until that time is doing its job ok?

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic74776.html
Post #861217 12th Oct 2020 7:35pm
Tomcat 106

2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Corris Grey
I know that dilemma too! Only you have done 500 miles more than I did!
I looked at DIY, happy enough to do it but I get twitchy about the oil. As you know the 2.2 has a really tight spec which is a pain to match and nearly £100 for 7l anyway. In my job I come across engine after treatment faults every day because of missed services and wrong oil specs.......and they always cost a fortune to sort out (in Ag equipment)
Suppling dealer was messing me about with price matching so this time I went to LR franchise Service Workshop. Dearer than local indy but cheaper than dealer. All gen parts and oil and OSH all updated. Hassle free and left me valuable time to do some jobs for the Domestic Authority. Winners all round. 😂 MY15.5 110XS CSW
1956 88" S1
2004 Tomcat 106 Comp safari
Post #861221 12th Oct 2020 7:54pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
There are lots of oils that match the spec for the 2.2 with DPF. See https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic34176.html and they are circa £30 for 5 litre cans so £42 for 7l, add £12 for a gen oil filter and £3.50 for a gen sump plug.
Post #861226 12th Oct 2020 8:06pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
To do all the other oils, gearbox transfer box , diff etc the oil types and how too’s are here. https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic8707.html.

So all in all with the guides on here all the servicing is covered. So print a service schedule, follow it ticking off as you do the items for each service type, complete with vehicle details, date, mileage and staple the receipts for the oil, filters, brake pads, fluids etc you change. Even take the odd picture and you have a good service record I would trust far more than from a dealer.

You can do servicing imore frequently, more comprehensively and far more cost effectively yourself. The savings can be spent on those more difficult jobs you don’t fancy taking on. Or lots of additional toys ( sorry I mean essential add on’s)
Post #861228 12th Oct 2020 8:20pm
Tomcat 106

2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Corris Grey
^^^yes seen that list a while back
At the time I couldn’t get Castrol professional anywhere so next up was Shell Helix but I know there were cheaper options Thanks for the reminder though Thumbs Up MY15.5 110XS CSW
1956 88" S1
2004 Tomcat 106 Comp safari
Post #861230 12th Oct 2020 8:21pm
roel

Netherlands 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Caledonian Blue
I do all my maintenance myself for all the Land Rovers I had. Yes also the D3.

Click image to enlarge

I kept changing my oil as per schedule other things I did if and when needed.
I downloaded a service ticket for the cars and ticket the boxes as I did them and filled them together with most off the receipts. So I had a decent track off my service history. To be honest I didn't do that for the resale value but only so I know what has been done.
Sometimes it is good to know when you changes the front axle bushing and if they are gone within a year you can discuss that with your supplier.

But maintenance on a Land Rover is for me not a one time a year event. I have a scroll under them more often to have a quick look, greasing the propshafts before and after an event
I clean the brakes and push the calipers in (so they get greased) everytime I change my tyres. On the 90 it is after every event as I have Simexes for play and BFG for normal use. On the disco when I changed the summer and winter tyres.

I trust myself and I have a better feeling if I have done things myself then if a fresh schoolboy in a work to learn system does the maintenance on my car. That happened to me with my companycar and at the first trip in Germany the next day after the service I lost the plastic cover under the engine and that took my rear brake hose out at 180 km/hr.
I can tell you that it is not a good feeling at that speed that your brake pedal doesn't do anything till it almost hits the floor.

Maybe because of that experience I always check twice that I have tightend everything before I say I am finished. Roel

1984 90 2.5 na Diesel - RR V8 (1994-2001)
1997 Camel Trophy Discovery 300TDI (2001-2009)
2005 G4 Discovery III 4.4 V8 (2008-2018) It's gone but it still hurts.
2003 90 Td5 (2009-now)
Post #861299 13th Oct 2020 8:00am
MalithS

United Kingdom 
So after a lot of thought I had decided to do the service myself and just wait till spring time when its a bit warmer so I can do it myself at home. The spanner in the works came in the form of a phone call from my independant chasing me up on the service as I hadnt booked it. After talking to them they were willing to drop the A service cost (60k/5 year) from £299 down to £199 (same as what I paid 2 years ago) and they would also come collect the car from my house and drop it off.

Suddenly now this seems a lot more attractive considering I can get the work done now itself and also the LR digital service record will be updated by them. So I will have full digital record for the first 5 years. Maybe I take the DIY route from next year's service onward? What do people think?
Post #870462 30th Nov 2020 11:30am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>