↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Looking at new Defender as new company car
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
lightning

United Kingdom 
Yes it's classed as a van for VAT and BIK etc

l was in the same situation as you, l had one on order and nobody could categorically confirm it.

ln the end l actually called HMRC and confirmed it. l am not VAT registered but have put my 2022 90 Commercial through my limited company and have received a refund of last years corporation tax as a starter, then nothing to pay this year, plus BIK of £700

Land Rover managed to get the Defender 90-110 Commercial passed by HMRC.
Why do you think they sell so many of this model.

£55,000 for the 90 including tow bar etc, take off tax and VAT and it's effectively £30,000 (so long as you keep it in the business, sell it and you'll pay tax on the proceeds of course)
Post #1020063 4th Jan 2024 9:36am
Leviathan

United Kingdom 
Thanks Lightning for your answer.

I spent 55 minutes waiting for HMRC to answer the phone yesterday and was told that if the vehicle wasnt on the current list (2015 so the defender Hard top isnt) I should 'discuss it with my employers' to see whether I should order the vehicle or not!
Totally inadequate and useless.

Ive since found some JLR literature online that describes the hard top as a flat rate BIK. but I'm very wary.

My problem is that Ive had my fingers burnt with my current van, because even though I have it in writing from HMRC that my current vehicle is a van the 3rd party who submit our P11Ds have decided that its a passenger carrying vehicle (see Coca Cola case above) resulting in a £4700 back tax demand from HMRC.

HMRC will ONLY calculate on the P11D so I'm Censored until someone can make an assessment. This has been going on for 18 months.

Unless I can get something concrete I'm thinking I will have to order a plug in hybrid car as I cant go through all this hassle again.

Its a shame as I really like the Defender and think it would suit my requirements.
Post #1020131 4th Jan 2024 6:50pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
lt's definitely a Commercial Vehicle with HMRC
l spent months researching it. lf you are still concerned, speak to your Land Rover dealer.

Click image to enlarge

https://www.defender2.net/forum/post979640.html
Post #1020160 4th Jan 2024 11:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234