↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > INEOS Grenadier > Tour de France Launch & Coverage of Other Bike Races
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Seen three short wheel based Land Cruisers though, all good condition…. Thumbs Up
Post #910619 3rd Jul 2021 4:03pm
cozz

makes me wonder, with them making this new built from scratch vehicle

and yet, Ineos seem to be the only team in the TDF that are still using bikes with rim brakes, where all others have switched to discs

maybe the car isn't so technically advanced either Very Happy Very Happy
Post #910888 5th Jul 2021 8:52pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Supacat wrote:
Not seen a single gratuitous shot of the Grenadier yet...

If they're anything like the team they'll be waiting for recovery or at the back in limp home mode. WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #910891 5th Jul 2021 9:30pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Post #910912 6th Jul 2021 6:32am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Interesting that the main theme of the video, mentioned by all interviewees and repeated by Ellingworth a number of times, is reliability/dependability. Perhaps a snub at LR? Whistle Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #910925 6th Jul 2021 8:04am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
It's pretty much an open goal to have a pop in JLR's direction on that topic.

It's also a hostage to fortune when Ineos have yet to come to market

However, knowing that, there's a certain comfort in seeing their bullishness.
Post #910952 6th Jul 2021 10:01am
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Disastrous Tour for Ineos. Biggest budget by a mile and the strongest team on paper but they have been well and truly spanked on every stage. On the plus side it has been a wonderful race to watch with some outstanding rides by both individuals and teams. 3 stages left and the Green jersey to play for, fingers crossed Cav can take it and beat Merckx's record. WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #912532 15th Jul 2021 5:17pm
Grenadier

Cav has been the star of this Tour. As for GC, by the end of week one it was effectively over. Whether it would have been any different had all GC contenders remained fit, is anyone’s guess, but it dampened the following three weeks. Luckily, places 2-10 have been jousting every day in almost a GC ‘b’ team. Very much liking the look of Vingegarde. Be interesting to see how Carapaz fairs over the next two days and whether he’ll end up 2nd or 3rd. No stage wins, they’ve all been pinched by the Pog, but whilst it’s been a lacklustre performance, 2nd place ain’t bad. Talking of The Rog, any other cycling fans feeling a bit uneasy about his performances? The gulf between him and the rest is Armstrongesque. Whistle Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #912604 15th Jul 2021 10:15pm
Hufflepuff

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Tonga Green
They talked about this on GCN this (last?) week. They said it was right to question it, given just how dominant Pogačar is, and given the history of cyclists on smarties.

But they also pointed out that he's always been this way, if you look back through his history of results. My suspicion is he's just a freak cyclist, and this could be the start of a long dominant streak for him going foward, unless he decides to quit/move on if the press are all pushing the 'suspicious performance' angle. 2005 Td5 90 XS
1989 V8 110 CSW
Post #912607 15th Jul 2021 10:33pm
markb110

In past tours the Yellow Jersey wearer is made to work.

This is a tactic that we are used to seeing with Sky / Ineos, ie the team riding as a collective on the front to protect the yellow jersey before one by one they fall away.

On this tour Ineos are riding as they have done in the past but this time they don't have the leaders jersey. As a result Pogacar is following the lead of others and conserving his energy to maintain his lead and even win the last two mountain top stages.

I believe this is where Ineos have got it massively wrong. they have the numbers over UAE so they should be sitting behind Podacar saying if you want that jersey, you work for it, we will keep our powder dry then team time trial it in the last 5k.

This way they would have depth of numbers and not blowing up one at a time before the final 10k. When Carapaze really needs help there is no-one there.

Lets not forget, Jumbo was the dominate TDF team last year. They work so hard to keep Roglic in yellow only to see him blow up on the final time trial.

If anything, we saw the best of Ineos last year because they lost their team leader on each Grand Tour and so the individuals were able to demonstrate their individual talents.

The thing that gets me is that the Ineos tactics this year does not work, yet they keep doing it.........its so predicable and a blessing to the other GC riders who can just sit on their shirt tails and stay fresh.
Post #912611 15th Jul 2021 10:59pm
Grenadier

Hufflepuff wrote:
They talked about this on GCN this (last?) week. They said it was right to question it, given just how dominant Pogačar is, and given the history of cyclists on smarties.

But they also pointed out that he's always been this way, if you look back through his history of results. My suspicion is he's just a freak cyclist, and this could be the start of a long dominant streak for him going foward, unless he decides to quit/move on if the press are all pushing the 'suspicious performance' angle.

But what are the chances of a country of just 2m people producing two stellar riders (2.5 if you include Mohoric) at the same time? Extrapolated, that would be the UK or France producing 60 GC riders in the same era.

The counter argument to his supporters assertions that “he’s always been like that” and “his kw/kg have always been off the charts” is that “he’s always been doping”. Organised, government based programme in a former Soviet Bloc country? Not beyond the realms of possibility.

What’s more, they have each joined teams with history of systemic doping (Rog-Jumbo Visma-Rabobank and Pog-UAE-Lampre), so if you wanted to hide doping riders, where better than a couple of teams with some serious expertise? And that’s not even factoring in the Chinese angle with Team UAE. Not that I’m casting aspersions.

Anyway, questions will always remain and I do like a good conspiracy theory Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #912643 16th Jul 2021 9:53am
County V8

United Kingdom 
And I thought this was a car forum are the axles being made by Shimano???

Just off to change my groupset
Post #912649 16th Jul 2021 10:21am
markb110

Let’s not forget that a few bicycle manufacturers went on to build cars…..so technically there is a connection Very Happy

And with some of the piffal that Gerry comes out with, he may well be on some form of performance stimulant……allegedly Whistle
Post #912652 16th Jul 2021 10:39am
Grenadier

His performance enhancer is called ‘Narcissism’. Whistle Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #912657 16th Jul 2021 11:18am
Hufflepuff

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Tonga Green
I choose to give them the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise Smile

Mind you, I did go for a pedal yesterday, gave it my everything for 90 minutes, and I still ended up with a average speed which was half what these guys are cruising at, and I'm not exactly in a mountainous region! Their performance is extremely impressive. 2005 Td5 90 XS
1989 V8 110 CSW
Post #912666 16th Jul 2021 12:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 6 <123456>