↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > How does DEF fluid work?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

How does DEF fluid work?
My new Defender is the first vehicle I have owned that uses DEF aka AdBlu fluid. All I have read on numerous LR forums is how much of the stuff LR vehicles seem to drink/pour down their throats.
So today 2.5months and 2000 miles after the last level check I decided to check the level as I was concerned that I might have to invest some of my pension in a couple of hundred quids worth of the stuff and to my surprise the car has hardly used any in 2000 miles of motoring. In June the range to empty on the dash was showing a tad over 6100 miles range, this morning 5975 miles range. 95% of my driving is offroad/fast A road/motorway Driving with 5% in the local town with two sets of traffic lights and a large roundabout to stop me. Am I in that oft quoted phrase from LR, ‘driving the car properly “ or have LR designed the exhaust system properly now that the DPF is “close coupled”
Two things I have noticed with this car I haven’t noticed on previous Diesel engine LR’s is very occassionally a strong smell outside the car and also that after turning off the engine there is a fan or pump that continues to run on for about 15 minutes after the engine is stopped - I assume that was the turbos cooling off but it could be the DPF system cooling too.

Any motor engineers here who can shed some light on the DEF consumption/ lack of and the fan/pump running? Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #850869 19th Aug 2020 10:31am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Wikipedia explains the chemistry and consumption better than I can: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_exhaust_fluid and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_catalytic_reduction

The characteristics you describe such as the smell and the running fan seem to be general characterstics of modern diesels with SCRs, SWMBO's Skoda Yeti having exactly the same characteristics. I had always assumed but without giving the matter much thought that the fan was connected with DPF regeneration, since there is usually a smell of great (but not alarming) heat at the same time, but her L200, which is actually a year younger than the Yeti, doesn't do this and also doesn't have a DEF tank.

Thinking now, both vehicles have DPFs but I suspect that only the Yeti has an SCR cat as opposed to a 'normal' cat. I now wonder if it is the Selective Catalytic Reduction process rather than the DPF that is doing this.

Hopefully someone who really knows what they're talking about will provide an explanation!
Post #850870 19th Aug 2020 10:58am
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
if its anything like the audi miles to left for the adblue it will show very little change over 8 or 9 mths and then plummet in a matter of days! or could just be my wifes drivnig! Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #850886 19th Aug 2020 12:31pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Interesting comment jst.
My Skoda Superb did the same thing and so does my Wrangler. Both with no obvious changes in driving style to cause an increase in consumption.
I just keep a 10l drum of it in the garage so I know I have enough on hand when needed.
The Wrangler needs 10 litres around every 3000 miles or so. The last lot I bought was £16 for 2 x 10 litres, so not an expensive carry on.
Post #850901 19th Aug 2020 2:02pm
milesr3

2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Keswick Green
blackwolf wrote:
Wikipedia explains the chemistry and consumption better than I can: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_exhaust_fluid

Which says "The injection rate of DEF into the exhaust depends on the specific after-treatment system, but is typically 2–6% of diesel consumption volume. This low dosing rate ensures long fluid refill intervals and minimizes the tank's size (and intrusion into vehicle packaging space)".

FWIW my Mercedes seems to be nearer to 1.5% of diesel consumption volume, based on a fag-packet calculation of not needing to refill the 22l AdBlue tank in-between 15,500 mile service intervals.

Last edited by milesr3 on 19th Aug 2020 5:34pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #850908 19th Aug 2020 2:33pm
Tim in Scotland

I noticed in the most recent “I don’t like the new Defender” video That he said the car had done 5000 miles and he had several DEF fluid level warnings scrolling on the screen. That was what prompted me to check mine!

Click image to enlarge
 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #850909 19th Aug 2020 2:42pm
Roger

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Java Black
Tim, when you do need to top up the AdBlu then toolstatio/screwfix are actually really competitively priced due to supplying various trades with copious quantities for their work vans, much cheaper than the local forecourt Thumbs Up
Post #850911 19th Aug 2020 3:01pm
Tim in Scotland

Cheers for the tip Roger. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #850915 19th Aug 2020 3:25pm
J77

Scotland 
My Velar gets about 6000 miles on a tank, my D4 used to get 11000 miles on a tank, but temperatures and driving styles all have an impact. I filled up with Aldi AdBlue, it was £4.99 for 6 litres, ran sweet as a nut, according to my dealer Halfords AdBlue has caused issues in the past.

You will get plenty warning when it’s running low, if it runs out it won’t start.
Post #850917 19th Aug 2020 3:41pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Tim in Scotland wrote:
I noticed in the most recent “I don’t like the new Defender” video That he said the car had done 5000 miles and he had several DEF fluid level warnings scrolling on the screen. That was what prompted me to check mine!

I wonder if it was full to start with.
Post #850952 19th Aug 2020 5:13pm
J77

Scotland 
Every chance, it seems to be over looked by a lot of dealers.
Post #850963 19th Aug 2020 5:21pm
RDR

United Kingdom 
My D4 used to get about 10k miles, the current D5 started complaining it was thirsty after 6K but I have a sneaking suspicion it wasn't full on delivery. 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #850985 19th Aug 2020 6:19pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
J77 wrote:
My Velar gets about 6000 miles on a tank, my D4 used to get 11000 miles on a tank, but temperatures and driving styles all have an impact. I filled up with Aldi AdBlue, it was £4.99 for 6 litres, ran sweet as a nut, according to my dealer Halfords AdBlue has caused issues in the past.

You will get plenty warning when it’s running low, if it runs out it won’t start.

I wonder what the dealer charges for the privilege of procuring 10l of Adblue from them vs Halfords? Whistle
It's all supposed to be to ISO 22241 standard anyway. Another example of Main Stealer fake news, or fact?
Post #850997 19th Aug 2020 7:13pm
Pacha

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
£9.99 for 10 litres @ Toolstation (Redex brand).

Don't want to be paying too much for urea.................. Whistle Rgds.

Chris
Post #850999 19th Aug 2020 7:15pm
J77

Scotland 
lohr500 wrote:
J77 wrote:

I wonder what the dealer charges for the privilege of procuring 10l of Adblue from them vs Halfords? Whistle
It's all supposed to be to ISO 22241 standard anyway. Another example of Main Stealer fake news, or fact?

£29.99 for the dealer to top up or no charge with the service plan. No idea what they charge just for a top up bottle.

I’ve no idea if it’s true, they just said two owners had DEF system issues and both had used Halfords AdBlue.
Post #851005 19th Aug 2020 7:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>