Home > Off Topic > Break down cover
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
red zepplin

1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Rioja Red
Break down cover
hi guys
Having let my aa membership lapse whilst the zepplin was on sorn I have looked I to renewal but also looked at both rac and green flag as well, their quote (greenflag) was about 2/3rds of the other 2 aa/rac for breakdown cover on 1 car. Just wondering if anyone has experience of them I know there will be both good and bad as there are with the other 2
TIA
Simon WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG
My sky lantern petition
http://chng.it/HJXmZC47
Post #847837 3rd Aug 2020 4:58pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Not really an answer to your question, but to throw another option into the ring, have you tried your insurer as they sometimes sell breakdown cover?

Don't know how old your truck is, but Green Flag, I believe only cover vehicles up to 15 years old. My car is 18 years old and an option for me would have been to have covered the Defender (less than 15 years old) and had the run around named as a second vehicle - which bizarrely they would cover Rolling Eyes

Green Flag seem to get a better press than the AA and RAC. After having RAC cover for years and only ever seeing contractors turning up, Green Flag looks to me to be the better option. There are far more contractors out there than AA or RAC patrol vehicles.
Post #847845 3rd Aug 2020 5:25pm
red zepplin

Thanks for that great point:thumbsup: I am insured through a plan (a sponsor on here Wink ) the zepplin was 22 years old last week (didn't have a party Rolling with laughter ) WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG
My sky lantern petition
Post #847849 3rd Aug 2020 5:46pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Never had to use it but have had Green Flag through the Caravan Club for years as they offer extensive trailer cover with no age or other restrictions........

AA / RAC were both having kittens about trailer in particular

G/Flag also offer a double reccovery option if your enroute to a holiday, etc.......
Post #847857 3rd Aug 2020 6:18pm
Oldsalt

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Portofino Red
Just to throw another suggestion, some bank accounts include breakdown cover - other things such as travel insurance are also included so overall might be worth the cost depending on all your circumstances, number of family members, vehicles and travel etc. Take a look at Nationwide flex account.
Post #847858 3rd Aug 2020 6:18pm
Rashers

That's a fair comment, Oldsalt.

The price of the monthly account charge can sometimes be less or similar to the the annual breakdown cover and could give you added benefits as a bonus.

That's how we do our travel insurance - although there is very little need for it at present Rolling with laughter
Post #847871 3rd Aug 2020 7:02pm
nick345345

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Baltic Blue
I was looking at this recently and found this article in case it helps https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/driver-power...cover-2020
Post #847878 3rd Aug 2020 7:25pm
red zepplin

Thanks nick interesting reading Thumbs Up
Simon WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG
My sky lantern petition
Post #847891 3rd Aug 2020 7:51pm
v8bob

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
I think it depends what cover you want.
If you want them to take your vehicle back home, then that restricts who you can go with.
I have the bank account one that covers any car I am in, but it only takes it somewhere local to the breakdown.
I would then have to go home get another vehicle and trailer, to bring it home. But it wouldn’t be stuck on the roadside.
Post #847898 3rd Aug 2020 8:10pm
drakes

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 HT Auto Belize Green
I get mine through my insurer at £32 per vehicle for full recovery to where you want to go and home rescue and when you call them out it is backed by RAC so you get RAC cover but much cheaper. Insurer is NFU
Post #847972 4th Aug 2020 10:09am
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
We have been with Greenflag for nearly 35 years, after the RAC refused to cover the towing of any trailer for damage, and only had one problem with the service they provided. It wasn't Greenflag but the local garage they called out, after 4 hours and still no show I persuaded Greenflag to call out next garaged who turned up within 30 minutes. A couple of days later received £100.00 cheque from Greenflag as compensation I didn't even ask for it.

Two years ago while away caravanning I damaged the tendons in my right hand and the local GP told me not to drive, S.H.M.B.O. hates towing so I rang Greenflag who arranged for the 110 to be piggybacked and the caravan towed home, the driver saw that I had a shock link on a multi point adjustable tow bracket which would fit on his vehicle and asked if I would prefer him to use that as it would stop any damaged being caused to the caravan. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #848157 5th Aug 2020 8:36am
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
I have nfu cover with my insurance, prior to that rac, the latter purely because I could pay for it with triple reward tesco points. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #848173 5th Aug 2020 9:27am
notxal

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Aintree Green
Ive gone with START as I have multiple cars so the Personal cover was the best option. GEM was the one I really wanted to buy but they have a low weight restriction of 2500Kg which precludes all the Defenders.
Post #848180 5th Aug 2020 10:40am
Rashers

Good point notxal Thumbs Up

Like all insurance policies (and this is all these breakdown covers are), it is important to read the small print.

They will all take your hard earned money, but when you need them most, marooned on the side of dual carriageway when it is lashing it down, this is the not the time to realise that your policy precludes your recovery for whatever reason.

Does anyone still have a warranty. There is an option is to have breakdown cover with the warranty. I had cover for a few years but never had to call on their services so I have no idea who they use?
Post #848192 5th Aug 2020 11:56am
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Currently with the Rac, as they were the only ones to cover a 10M Motorhome plus 8M trailer, UK and europe

But have spend 3.5 hours in the rain last night, stood in the weeds on the M5 waiting for them to arrive, Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Unless i get a helpful reply to my snotagram mail, will be looking elsewhere California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #848433 6th Aug 2020 8:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>