Home > Off Topic > use of the touchscreen illegal
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
use of the touchscreen illegal
for “functions required to operate the motor vehicle.”

Story is about Tesla in Germany, but I wonder if it will have wider implications.

Some will say about time ~ it's been obvious since the get go.

https://electrek.co/2020/08/04/tesla-wiper...y-crashed/
Post #848146 5th Aug 2020 8:26am
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
I wondered out all the new vehicles with touch screens as my Garmin sat nav says that it is illegal to use whilst driving. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #848148 5th Aug 2020 8:37am
Bian Considine

United Kingdom 
lets face it, "real" controls can be operated by the driver without looking at them - "virtual" ones need at least a glance at the screen to guide the finger.

Most of the HGV's I drive have on advanced board telematics/navigation and the touchscreen is locked off whilst moving - & quite rightly so.
Post #848154 5th Aug 2020 9:21am
Tim in Scotland

TBH, Tesla has taken use of the touch screen too far, I’m sure they would have put the indicators on it too if they thought they could get away with it. Even though my new car’s PriviPro system is a huge leap forward for Land Rover, from the controlling of it I think the BMW mouse system is much more intuitive and once used to it you don’t need to use the touch screen at all and at least all the important functions in the LR and BMW systems are still controlled away from the touchscreen - in both systems it’s basically still a Nav and Entertainment system. There’s still huge potential for voice control systems though. If you can say “Navigation, take me to xxxxx “ then why can’t you also say “controls, wipers on intermittent “ or “controls - headlights on”?
And one thing with the New Defender’s touch screen -it won’t play if you are wearing leather or wool gloves, it’s happy with C-19 latex gloves though Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #848166 5th Aug 2020 10:07am
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
Quote:
There’s still huge potential for voice control systems though. If you can say “Navigation, take me to xxxxx “ then why can’t you also say “controls, wipers on intermittent “ or “controls - headlights on”?

Because every time someone says something like that be it to the car or "Alexa" or Siri" it makes me think of Kirk talking to "computer" on the Enterprise which is not a good look. Whistle Rolling with laughter Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #848206 5th Aug 2020 2:32pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Tim in Scotland wrote:
and at least all the important functions in the LR and BMW systems are still controlled away from the touchscreen

What about all the configurable off road settings? On a UK green lane under the same logic applied by a German Court you could be technically committing an offence.

Click image to enlarge
Post #848213 5th Aug 2020 3:21pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
As soon as you jump into a Tesla the first thing to catch your eye is the massive screen. It's like an iPad on wheels. Hate the things. Give me the two plus four dials any day, large speedo and tacho and four 50mm gauges for fuel, oil pressure, engine temperature and voltmeter or ammeter. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #848218 5th Aug 2020 4:12pm
Tim in Scotland

Supacat you only get the configurable TR on certain versions and you pay extra on the rest of the models but also you don’t need to adjust anything at all, either leave it in TR Auto mode and it sorts itself out or don’t use TR at all and drive it just like a Classic Land Rover in low box and manually shifting the auto box as needed with assistance from the centre difflock and Traction Control/ ABS and HDC if needed. Touch screen adjustment is superfluous and I bet that fewer people will use it if they have it than even those who will go off-roading in their new Defender. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #848242 5th Aug 2020 6:01pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
About time they ban all kinds of media in cars / vehicles.........it 'should' and easily could have been done years ago before they made it a selling point of being able to hotsport anf other nonsense.......

When the selling point is how well you can 'connect' you just know the rest is garbage.......
Post #848265 5th Aug 2020 8:10pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Sounds like that they are trying to soften up the public for self driving cars that no one is asking for and to protect the German car industry from Tesla's success.

It would be safer and cheaper in the long run to insist on an intelligence test as part of the driving test to reduce numbers on the roads.... Whistle
Post #848267 5th Aug 2020 8:25pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
SUV of the future if they got their way to protect us from ourselves..... Whistle

Click image to enlarge
Post #848270 5th Aug 2020 8:30pm
Tim in Scotland

That wouldn’t pass the pedestrian safety rules though........ Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #848276 5th Aug 2020 8:42pm
Mike c

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
All this touchscreen rubbish in vehicles just makes driver skills and perception of the task in hand deminish. Should not be legal, same as invisible indicators, dangerous blind spots in vehicle body design, and stupidly bright headlamps, so typical on many modern vehicles.

Notice how much faster people drive as time goes on, irrelevant of speed limits and road conditions? But never mind, they have 20 airbags to protect them and are safe... Whistle Rolling Eyes
Post #848281 5th Aug 2020 8:57pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The Peltzman effect.
Post #848283 5th Aug 2020 9:22pm
J77

Scotland 
I drive a velar which has more touch screens than most cars and can’t say I’ve ever had to take my eyes off the road any longer than a car with physical buttons, but then it’s only heating and TR that is operated through the touch screen.
Post #848294 5th Aug 2020 9:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>