↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > New Defender vs G Wagen off road video
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Playing about with touch screens is great fun for electronic nerds (and I'm one of them) but when you're bouncing up and own in your seat like a frog jumping up and down in a bucket you cannot beat the simplicity of the G Wagen. Press a button to select low range, screen confirms low range is selected then press any or all three diff lock buttons. Touch screens are not easy to operate when the going gets rough - does the 2020 Defender not have voice control for off road? This would be a benefit when off roading. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #846722 28th Jul 2020 5:46pm
Tim in Scotland

Supacat wrote:
The video certainly demonstrated something, shame on the language front; and why are none of the other reviewer's picking up on this and showing it?

Because ATPC is not standard on all models, only with the Advanced Off Road Pack and the Towing Pack, it is standard only on the Defender X. I have it on mine but have yet to try it out, I’ll wait until my LRE invite comes through and test it under instruction! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #846725 28th Jul 2020 5:51pm
J77

Scotland 
discomog wrote:
Playing about with touch screens is great fun for electronic nerds (and I'm one of them) but when you're bouncing up and own in your seat like a frog jumping up and down in a bucket you cannot beat the simplicity of the G Wagen. Press a button to select low range, screen confirms low range is selected then press any or all three diff lock buttons. Touch screens are not easy to operate when the going gets rough - does the 2020 Defender not have voice control for off road? This would be a benefit when off roading.

You can stick the TR in auto setting, and let the car sort itself out, apparently works pretty well, but that’s only if TR2 is specified which should really be standard fit.
Post #846730 28th Jul 2020 6:04pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Tim in Scotland wrote:
Supacat wrote:
The video certainly demonstrated something, shame on the language front; and why are none of the other reviewer's picking up on this and showing it?

Because ATPC is not standard on all models, only with the Advanced Off Road Pack and the Towing Pack, it is standard only on the Defender X. I have it on mine but have yet to try it out, I’ll wait until my LRE invite comes through and test it under instruction!

Bizarre on so many fronts ~ as this video explains it's usefulness to novice off road drivers and JLR put it in an "Advanced" pack. Rolling Eyes

This piece seems to be claiming a world first in August 2015, so other than the hardware costs, it must have wiped it's face in terms of development costs by now:
https://www.landrover.co.uk/explore-land-r...ntrol.html

Even more bizarrely in terms of halo products and off roading "It is available as a no-cost option on New Range Rover Evoque Convertible." Everyone's go to vehicle when the going really gets tough...

Last edited by Supacat on 29th Jul 2020 7:19am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #846798 29th Jul 2020 7:14am
Tim in Scotland

Land Rover thinks in mysterious ways, same as not being able to give your local dealership some business fitting rear recovery eyes because only the most expensive model ( and possibly the least likely version to need to use them!) in the range is supposed to have them........ Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #846799 29th Jul 2020 7:17am
Supacat

You know how these things work, there's a warehouse manager looking at stock levels and useage, see the item isn't moving and decides to reduce holding or even destock it.

Up the chain demand is reported as being really weak and not the sort of thing new Defender owners want.

Nobody mentions that the only people who can buy them are people who already have two of them, and they are hardly going to keep a spare for when one breaks.

It's a classic "back to the floor" story.
Post #846807 29th Jul 2020 7:39am
SteveT247

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
J77 wrote:

You can stick the TR in auto setting, and let the car sort itself out, apparently works pretty well, but that’s only if TR2 is specified which should really be standard fit.

So TR2 is a cost option? Shocked
Post #846809 29th Jul 2020 7:46am
Supacat

Tim in Scotland wrote:
Land Rover thinks in mysterious ways

Can anyone beat the off road pack containing...a domestic plug socket?
Post #846815 29th Jul 2020 8:11am
Tim in Scotland

You can opt for them on many new cars now, problem is I don’t know what you would plug into it. A soldering iron to fix the electronics might have a low enough power demand or maybe there’s a market for in car hairdryers for your dog grooming kit to dry it after you’ve washed it off with the in car “shower” thing. I think that the hairdryer and a portable compressor might draw too much power though.
There is no mention in the iGUIDE of how many amps it can handle, all it says is 240v / 120v and to be aware not to use damp or wet plugs.......... Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 29th Jul 2020 10:46am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #846826 29th Jul 2020 9:43am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Be interested to know if it is a pure sine wave or modified sine wave inverter. A lot of devices don't like the latter. Need someone to poke an oscilloscope in to find out. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #846831 29th Jul 2020 10:29am
J77

Scotland 
Supacat wrote:
Tim in Scotland wrote:
Supacat wrote:

Because ATPC is not standard on all models, only with the Advanced Off Road Pack and the Towing Pack, it is standard only on the Defender X. I have it on mine but have yet to try it out, I’ll wait until my LRE invite comes through and test it under instruction!

Bizarre on so many fronts ~ as this video explains it's usefulness to novice off road drivers and JLR put it in an "Advanced" pack. Rolling Eyes

This piece seems to be claiming a world first in August 2015, so other than the hardware costs, it must have wiped it's face in terms of development costs by now:
https://www.landrover.co.uk/explore-land-r...ntrol.html

Even more bizarrely in terms of halo products and off roading "It is available as a no-cost option on New Range Rover Evoque Convertible." Everyone's go to vehicle when the going really gets tough...

When I bought my D5 it was about £100 option but had to be taken with TR2 which was another £100 or so, no reason why they can’t do the same on Defender. Though I’m sure for 21MY they are splitting the off road packs up.

I think ATPC and TR2 will be more useful than configurable TR.
Post #846858 29th Jul 2020 1:08pm
J77

Scotland 
SteveT247 wrote:
J77 wrote:

So TR2 is a cost option? Shocked

Yup, a big cost option, only comes with Advanced Off Road Pack at a cost of £2.5k for the 90 as air suspension is required or £870 for the 110.
Post #846859 29th Jul 2020 1:11pm
SteveT247

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
From video's, press, etc, I thought it came with TR2 as standard.
Post #846865 29th Jul 2020 1:45pm
J77

Scotland 
Yeah the joys of media cars, they’re loaded up with options.

To fair standard TR is fine, it does the same apart from the auto setting.
Post #846866 29th Jul 2020 1:48pm
Supacat

I thought rock crawl and a wade mode were also TR2 exclusive?
Post #846874 29th Jul 2020 2:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>